Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkE View Post
here's the new one... any help with an ID would be great. Its tips look very much like my flower pot, but it doesn't stretch nearly as far out
Looks like a big duncan colony to me. I might be wrong though.

And you have only spent $500 on your tank till now? You got a long way to go then But great progress I must say

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 AM

STANKYfish is on a distinguished road

Looks great! Salt is so much more interesting than fresh . How long have you had the flower pot? Your new coral looks like a pagoda cup. (the little flowers do resemble duncans)

Last edited by STANKYfish; 02-16-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

$500. I wish. Moma bear and myself figured that my 26g was topping $4000 but that's also livestock

Looks great. Looking forward to the upgrade
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM

monkE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Looks like a big duncan colony to me. I might be wrong though.

And you have only spent $500 on your tank till now? You got a long way to go then But great progress I must say
Thanks for the ID, I WAS at $500 i think i cleared $800 after this weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANKYfish View Post
Looks great! Salt is so much more interesting than fresh . How long have you had the flower pot? Your new coral looks like a pagoda cup. (the little flowers do resemble duncans)
Thanks for the kind words, I love this tank and can't even look at my 125 planted any more Thanks for the ID i think you are right, it's a pagoda. I've only had the flower pot for a couple weeks, from what i've read i might struggle with this one but it looks happy so far. I've got a couple small capsules of reef-roids that i've been spot feeding it along with the candy cane and they both seem pretty happy so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
$500. I wish. Moma bear and myself figured that my 26g was topping $4000 but that's also livestock

Looks great. Looking forward to the upgrade
oh yeah like i said to mrhasan, i WAS at $500 lol
when i get a big one going then i'll probably be in pretty deep... pardon the pun
Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkE View Post
here's the new one... any help with an ID would be great. Its tips look very much like my flower pot, but it doesn't stretch nearly as far out
looks like a really happy tubinaria/cup coral

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 PM

I've had this 60 gallon drilled tank sitting here for a while and now it's time to get her full of water. First things first, I had to set up my first sump system. I took a couple trips out to JnL's and talked with one of the guys there to get a good understanding of the mechanics of the sump. I've been perplexed by them for a while, but now it all makes sence. So out comes the wallet and I got my return pump (eheim compact 2000) bulkhead fittings, gate valves and lock lines. They sent me to Corix Water Products for the PVC stuff. Ok so 10 feet of 1" and 10 feet of 3/4 plus a bunch of elbows and threaded adaptors. It probably took me an hour to map the system out in the store and make sure i had every peice i needed!

So i got home and went to work.

On the advice of the guys at JnL I decided to do a Herbie drain to keep the noise down a bit.

Now this is my first sump setup so if you see something weird with the plumbing just let me know please... not that I can do anything about it now, but let me know so i can learn.

Here's a good before and after shot! lol

and the full tank shot
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 PM

So... 50lbs of lr later....

Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM

So here we go! finally had a day off of work and it's time to make the jump. First thing i had to do was get some shelving brackets from home depot so i could suspend my 24" light fixture above the tank and allow the beam to spread out enough that i wouldn't have any shadows. With that task done, and my coral thoroughly ****ed off, I began moving the 20 lbs of LR from my small tank into the new one... a few changes in formation later i think i have it where i want it. Man it's so much easier to plan an aquascape with plants and wood than it is with rocks! my first idea was to basically build a central pillar around the overflow box but that didn't look right with the rock mixing and matching so i did more open top water and a random rock formation by putting together the rocks that seemed to fit together.. just trying to do a natural feel but i've got rock from two different locations so it's a big mix and match anyway... let me know what you think, or any ideas you have. The next thing was moving the coral across... i figured id go at about the same water level with everything like i had it in the other tank but now the light is so much farther away i'm not sure what the best move is. I suppose it's going to be a wait and see scenario. If you guys see anything that looks totally off please let me know... i'm still a rookie reefer.

These pictures were taken about 10 minutes after i was done so that's why the coral is all closed up.... besides the xenia which stretched out almost immediately

Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fafGzPSLyI
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

Really looking good! your sinularia is really pretty, look like you really have the bug now!