mtlreeffreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
You're welcome
Now go do some reading

on it
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

I have been shocked on two seperate ocasions and both where from induced voltage from the lights. Once when the floor in front of the tank was damp because I had just wiped up some spilt water and once while I was cleaning up spilt water and didn't even have my hand in the tank. The water on the ground and the induced voltage somehow made a circuit out of me and a metal filing cabinet. If you have ballast driven lights then induced voltage is something to consider.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM

mtlreeffreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
I have been shocked on two seperate ocasions and both where from induced voltage from the lights. Once when the floor in front of the tank was damp because I had just wiped up some spilt water and once while I was cleaning up spilt water and didn't even have my hand in the tank. The water on the ground and the induced voltage somehow made a circuit out of me and a metal filing cabinet. If you have ballast driven lights then induced voltage is something to consider.

i have maxpect razr leds
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

I've been shocked a few times. Happened to me when I first started the hobby, I didn't know any better and I bought few equipment items from a lfs. He brings his stuff over from Asia and I just compared prices to others lfs and obviously went for the cheaper stuff. Soon enough I learned that in this hobby you REALLY get what you pay for and every single item broke down within a couple months. Almost every time I'd put my hand in the tank I'd get a little shock and couldn't figure out why. Talked to another lfs about this and they instantly knew where I bought my equipment. I replaced everything and haven't had any issues since.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
Lessons learned
1) don't forget to unplug your heaters when draining
2) make sure you install a drip loop. if you don't know what this is... look it up
3) keep salt creep away from electrical contact points, ie don't rest your light on the tank and clean up the splashing
4) ideally, ground your system.
1) Learned the hard way
2) Lit my house on fire
3)Lit my house on fire
4)Did this before lighting house on fire

Also, electrical cords eventually get brittle and crack in salt water. Learned the hard way.
DIY wiring, make sure you know what you're doing - Lit house on fire (yes, I'm also surprised I still have a house -lol)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
1) Learned the hard way
2) Lit my house on fire
3)Lit my house on fire
4)Did this before lighting house on fire

Also, electrical cords eventually get brittle and crack in salt water. Learned the hard way.
DIY wiring, make sure you know what you're doing - Lit house on fire (yes, I'm also surprised I still have a house -lol)
What I'm surprised is your still alive and your wife hasn't killed you!! My wife would have killed me if I set the house on fire because of the aquarium lol
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
What I'm surprised is your still alive and your wife hasn't killed you!! My wife would have killed me if I set the house on fire because of the aquarium lol
Good point. Last time I came home, smoke billowing from house, wife, daughter and a nurse standing on the road. Thought I was done for sure!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Good point. Last time I came home, smoke billowing from house, wife, daughter and a nurse standing on the road. Thought I was done for sure!
Lmao (clapping hands)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Any updates ?
Are you still alive
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

I get shocked by my tank every time I wear crocs (or dawgs) around the house... The shoes provide an insulation allowing static electricity to build up, and since my tank is grounded with a grounding probe, it hits me (audibly, and curse-word-flying) when I forget to take them off before touching the tank (or sump).