Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

That sounds pretty horrible!!! Agree it sounds like something other than ich. Are you able to take pictures of the affected fish so that someone can offer a solid diagnosis? Or describe what you are seeing on the fish?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy20012002 View Post
if Ich is killing fish that fast, i would say there maybe something wrong within your tank.. either stress or water parameters.
or it is another disease - brook or velvet can look similar
velvet can wipe your tank out very fast
if it is velvet, waiting it out will not work..every fish in your tank will pretty much be dead.
but if they are already showing excessive signs it is too late to treat anyways.
sucks ass when you start having such losses
if you do lose all your fish, make sure you don't put any fish in there for at least 2 months or you could very well go through the exact same thing.
good luck
+1. Velvet can look very similar to ich and a lot if people do mistake it for ich. As said, velvet can kill fish very rapidly. Do a forum search for velvet and you'll find lots of experiences on the matter.

______
Sent from the future on my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Banned

Salt2Death is on a distinguished road

5 chromis fine and alive, leopard wrasse fine and alive, Mandarin Goby still great, Majestic Fox Face few spots but swimming and eating great, pink anthis doing well.....

Half my fish doing good....?

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

this is just my opinion but i dont think your tank was mature enough to make the fish feel comfortable is my theory, from what i read you started with all dry rock(100%) only 1 month ago ??

in order for fish to feel comfortable and not stressed their surroundings have to be what they usually are use to.

so with dry rock not even one month old chances are you dont have a large supply of vegetation and natural food?? theres pprob not an abundance of clean up crews like stars or pods.

nitrifying bacteria is one thing but in order to complete the loop and make it workable there needs to be some life present.

i had this talk a while ago with someone about a 6line wrasse, for example your usual wrasse hunts all day , while it may take prepared foods it still hunts.

when it cant find food or even see food available it creates a panic(fish dont know what we know) as they freak out and look harder for food and none is there they start to stress.

i dont believe in that if you feed a fish lots he will fight ick i believe that food heps but doesnt guarantee it , the more a fish stresses the worse it gets.

i would do the same as you now and wait it out , i wouldnt even necessarily wait for a fallow period i would look more into adding things to make it more of a full enviroment.

i took some fish the other night off a friend there were 4 of them , they were covered in ick , the next day after being in my growtank not a spot on any of them i didnt even have a chance to feed them , in fact my tank is now over populated as i added 14 fish last week from someone elses set up so were talking almost 20 fish in a 50g tank in a span of one-two weeks while some were badly sick.

all the fish are fine now with no ich visible , the only thing i figure like i have for years is besides food you need to give them the full enviromnt they are used to in nature.

im not saying its not possible that you could have introduced marine velvet only you would know that but im saying that maybe theres a small underlying issue that is working against you.

good luck buddy im sure youll pull through this it happens to us all and once your over this small hump things have to get better right?

cheers
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Maybe...
Dry rock and sand yup in the display.
2x sumps, one refuge for Algae and plenty of cocopods, second sump is both Algae and live rock from my original set up (3years old n super clean and purple)
I'm vigilant on water perimeters and changes and spot tons of good ole buggies on the rock n glass.

(One odd thing was the explosion of bristle star fish in the refug, thousands of babies on the glass. Must have spawned)

All my corals are doing Amazing so perhaps it's Velvet.... Hope the @$*> not !

But still many fish alive......

Thanx Deny

Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt2Death View Post
Maybe...
Dry rock and sand yup in the display.
2x sumps, one refuge for Algae and plenty of cocopods, second sump is both Algae and live rock from my original set up (3years old n super clean and purple)
I'm vigilant on water perimeters and changes and spot tons of good ole buggies on the rock n glass.

(One odd thing was the explosion of bristle star fish in the refug, thousands of babies on the glass. Must have spawned)

All my corals are doing Amazing so perhaps it's Velvet.... Hope the @$*> not !

But still many fish alive......

Thanx Deny

glad to hear some are going to make it,besides the spots on the fish how are their colors?? faded like velvet??

i hope its not velvet if it is then you need to get the fish out but if its just ick you have a much better chance on beating it.

if it comes down to it and only you will know if it needs to happen ....you can drain the display to catch the fish, or use a hook and go fishing.

good luck buddy
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Colors are good- my fox face is shy but otherwise things look ok....

Few more days if anyone dies I'll catch em all!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

ich can kill that fast and that bad as well. People always think that ich is something mild but it can burst into plague proportion if the conditions are right and kill everything as well as any other parasites.

Of course the only way to be sure is to do a scrape and ID the culprit under a microscope.

This should always be done before any treatment is started as the treatment is very different for ich, velvet or brook. Copper won't kill brook efficiently but formaline will.

Formaline won't kill velvet fast enough.

Chloroquinine will kill pretty much everything safely, if you can find it and treat in QT.

One thing is for sure, if one does a proper quarantine on all fish, then never ever will that person have to deal with any parasite. Peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
That sounds pretty horrible!!! Agree it sounds like something other than ich. Are you able to take pictures of the affected fish so that someone can offer a solid diagnosis? Or describe what you are seeing on the fish?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

You can also go to the grocery store and purchase garlic puree. I used that and just mixed a bit in with their food. As long as they are eating, they will be fine. Most smaller fish are fairly immune to ich all ready so that explains why they are all alive. Foxface are also very tough fish and will survive no problem. It is really tangs, angels, etc. that have a harder time fighting it off. Just keep them eating. If they are not, then it is time to move them as soon as possible, if you can....

A bottle trap tends to work if you need to catch a fish. Cut the back end off a gallon jug, poke a couple holes through the end piece and the jug and put a rod through it. I use acrylic rod. That allows the cut off piece to swivel open and closed. Leave the trap in there for a day without touching it. Next day put some mysis in there and eventually fish will swim in there and that's when you swivel the trap shut. It took me 5 minutes to build one and I caught the fish I wanted out in about a day.