Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 AM

NightShadeFairy is on a distinguished road

I saw a beautiful peacock mantis at J&L Aquatics just a few weeks ago, they often have them. My boyfriend used to have one, it was set up on the night stand beside our bed.. and was so very cool, he would come out of his cave to grab the shrimp off the feeding stick, but if he didn't see the stick, he would quickly go back in his hide. The way he interacted with us (and he certainly recognized us from other people) really gave the impression of intelligence, whether it be our own human perception of that I don't know, but regardless very enjoyable to own! It did kind of creep me out at certain private 'moments' to feel eyes on you, only to look over and see those beedy eyes watching you with interest! We started calling him Merv the perv! Lol!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
How long did they live?
well two were dead when I opened my rock box, the two I gave away who knows. my other two one lived 4 years and the other one went to some one else.. can't remember who at this point so i don't know. they could have been old when they came across on the rock or they could have been young I don't know. at least 4 years for the two I had.

one I had was a little brownish one about 2" long. the other one was a nice green and was 4" long.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

cool, what hapened to yours?

Also was it a spearer or a smasher?

Do you know how much JL Aquatics was charging for it and how big was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadeFairy View Post
I saw a beautiful peacock mantis at J&L Aquatics just a few weeks ago, they often have them. My boyfriend used to have one, it was set up on the night stand beside our bed.. and was so very cool, he would come out of his cave to grab the shrimp off the feeding stick, but if he didn't see the stick, he would quickly go back in his hide. The way he interacted with us (and he certainly recognized us from other people) really gave the impression of intelligence, whether it be our own human perception of that I don't know, but regardless very enjoyable to own! It did kind of creep me out at certain private 'moments' to feel eyes on you, only to look over and see those beedy eyes watching you with interest! We started calling him Merv the perv! Lol!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't know about JL but every now and then they show up in local stores for $20-$50 depending on size and color. I'm not sure if the stores actually received them in an order or were just found as hitchhikers.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 PM

NightShadeFairy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm still learning my way around on the site and couldn't fund this thread again!
Mine lived the whole time I was living with my boyfriend, just over a year, and as it was his, he took it with him when we parted ways and he moved out.
As for the one at J&L's, it was full grown, but I didn't enquire about the price as I wasn't looking to purchase it.
I'm interested to hear if you get one!