Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Myself have paased up on Alot of pieces that in store looked dull. In my experiences stores have had old lights and or water quality issues. I just have trouble buying a browned out piece to find out what it will be in my tank
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Another issue as to why the cost is higher is that they are normally a lot larger than the corals from Bali or Tonga. Larger size = higher risk in shipping and greater cost of freight.
True. And SPS keepers are, at lest here, a cheaper lot Spending $200 on a colony is risky, so they often sit and go brown.
That, coupled with the fact that you get what's in the box this week, it's tough to make that decision to bring a box in.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I love brown corals, white ones too! Those two colors grow best in my tank....
Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Brad's got a point, We(jl and oa) just got a shipment in for fiji sps and the color and size are just amazing. I mean if you buy 4 or 5 pieces for a 120 gallon tank, you would've gotten yourself an instant reef. I myself purchased a couple colonies just because you don;t get them too often. I have them under intense lighting 24 hours after introduction into my tank just so I can keep the original coloration. I had another piece a while back from fiji that browned out and brought back to the original color from blasting it with heavy light, for me this is the only way that I know to bring out the "true colors", of course your tank parameter has to be in line also. Now I was just at jl yesterday and the 2 other colonies that was on hold changed colors from light yellow and pink body with red polyps to darker brown and now 4 -5 days later they look like your normal run of the mill large brownish colonies that no one will even think twice about. I think this is the issue most lfs are concerned about. Keep in mind that JL has a dedicated tank for sps and sps frags but for some reason they just can;'t seem to keep even the frags from local tanks at the color when they first arrived. They must sell their sps within the first week or worse the first couple of days or they will end up losing money.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I love brown corals, white ones too! Those two colors grow best in my tank....
Yep. My brown digi is unreal
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

worth mentioning also is that Walt Smith isnt 100% "wild only" pieces....there is a large mariculture side to the operation as well

heres a couple "sleeper" pieces that started of as frags from a wild colony(pics taken under T5s, 50/50 mix of new gens and super blues)....

260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Those are nice. But I saw some nicer colonies in one of Steve's tanks on weekend😜
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
worth mentioning also is that Walt Smith isnt 100% "wild only" pieces....there is a large mariculture side to the operation as well
Ya, sorry, remembered that after I posted.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I am in process of getting some "farm" pics and also of the holding facility so you all can see what goes on there. Stay tuned
Old 06-05-2012, 01:52 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Those are nice. But I saw some nicer colonies in one of Steve's tanks on weekend😜
you were probably looking at the tank with all my coral in it
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694