Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-12-2004, 01:11 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

His punishment should be the same as if I did this to someone on the street. A criminal conviction, jail time, and restitution to the victim. I assume his victim will never play in the NHL again, he should have to pay out the rest of his salary for the years he will miss from his career, this will add up to ?how many million.

On a related note, why are we paying these apes several million dollars a year to play pro sports? They add nothing to our society and they are a disgrace to our culture. Perhaps we should pay doctors, teachers, and police more, and impose a 95% tax on pro athletes to cover the cost.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:17 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

But going by that, wouldn't we first have to lock up Moore for knocking out Naslund?

If we put every hockey player who assaults (hits) another during a game in jail, then we would see 9 or 10 people in jail per game.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
heres a twist for you all, do you think Bert deserves a less fair sentence than a murder? thats what he got.. when they passed the ruling they said he was suspended for the rest of the season, the playoffs and they will rule at a later date as to they feel it warrants more.

at least a murder who is sentenced gets the full sentence instead of being left hanging.

I must make it clear that I think he deserves a harsh punishment as i don't condone goon tactics with obvious intents to injure, but I do believe when they ruled yesterday they should have made clear the "FULL SENTENCE" instead of leaving him hanging.

Steve
WTF are you talking about ? ... comparing this to murder ? ... he may just get the sentence you refer to as in jail time ( not that I agree with that ) but your arguement makes no sense ... a murder is pretty final ( we know the outcome right ? ) ... this kid lies on a hospital bed and we wont know for awhile if/when he recovers ... the league is justified in reserving further judgement based on the extent of the injuries.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 03-12-2004, 01:47 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_A_neer
this kid lies on a hospital bed and we wont know for awhile if/when he recovers ... the league is justified in reserving further judgment based on the extent of the injuries.
first you better watch the news.. his injuries have been down graded to a concussion and two bone chips in the neck.. he was walking around the hospital today and he is flying home tomorrow, the prognosis is he will most likely play next year unless other complications come up.

and no i am not comparing it to murder, i am saying that a murder gets a more fair trial. did they wait for mcSorlys judgment?? no. this is all about the media now.. if this dies down fast he will be allowed to play next year.. if in a few months there is still a ruckus about it then they will suspend him longer. they have guidelines in place they should follow them and make a definite ruling. weather it is 10 games or a 2 year suspension it doesn't matter but he has the right to a final verdict.

as for the intent to injure.. if you watch the replay he grabbed him and gave him a huge blow in the side of the head from behind, then he drove his face into the ice as he tried twice more to hit him in the head. i am not saying he intended to injure him this bad but he did intend to put him out of the game for the night as a warning to anyone else who would take a run at nassalan (SP*)

as for criminal charges by a court of law.. i personally am against this. there are some things that are assumed when you sign a contract and getting injured in a fight is a reasonable expatiation in the NHL. this is why we have the league to suspend/fine inappropriate action. the problem is they have been letting the cheep stuff go to long and it has gotten out of hand.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:09 AM

whaase is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
this kid lies on a hospital bed and we wont know for awhile if/when he recovers ... the league is justified in reserving further judgment based on the extent of the injuries.
first you better watch the news.. his injuries have been down graded to a concussion and two bone chips in the neck.. he was walking around the hospital today and he is flying home tomorrow, the prognosis is he will most likely play next year unless other complications come up.

Steve
And that makes it ok? The guy said he wasn't trying to injure him. Hmmm, what in the hell was he trying to do? I think Bert got what he deserves. The main reason he will have to face the NHL again next year is if Van. get's knocked out in the first round he really didn't miss much time. Personally I think Mark Crawford should be suspended too. He got his players going after the hit on Naslund (sp?), it was his responsibility as a coach to calm his players down, instead, he freaked out. It was a clean hit. Anyone who thinks Moore just fell and Bertuzzi fell on top should get there head examined. I think more than anything it is disappointing. I was really looking forward to Calgary meeting a full Van. team

Walter
Old 03-12-2004, 02:37 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaase
And that makes it ok?

Walter
did you read my whole post or just the first paragraph?

I have never implied that it was ok, infact I am probably one of the people that is hardest on him. I just feel everyone has a right to a fast and finite sentance.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:03 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

my 2 cents...
I think what bertuzi did was wrong and he got punished for it, I think the punishment was more than severe enough and if they go any further its getting ridiculous. If you think its Bertuzi's fault, as well as Crawford's fault, then it also has to be the fault of Moore for the cheap hit that he pulled earlier and "should" have been pummeled for(thats how the NHL works), also it is the ref's fault for letting the cheap shots go unpunished, and the leauges fault for not doing something about the way the game is played and letting things go unpunished. An NHL team could be compared to a big family and they protect their own, if your family member was taken out by a cheap shot you would probably want justice, or repercussions to be seen and felt by the one that took out your family member with a cheap shot,(especially if the "moderators" did nothing about it) thats what Bertuzi was trying to do and it went a little too far and a bad fall didnt help either, I blame it more on the NHL and the ref's of the previous Moore/Naslund incident, than I blame it on Bertuzi, he was protecting his family. I know if someone KO'ed one of my family members and the"law' did nothing about it, I would be steaming mad and want some repercussions to be felt by the culprit.... Thats what happened, but circumstances led to a more serious injury than the momentary pain that was intended to be inflicted. I dont think the injury was intentional but the pain factor was, Bertuzi is far from the only one to blame in this incident, people are looking at it like nothing else was involved other than a player momentarily ticked off, dishing out more than he should have. I dont like violence but when cheap shots go unpunished, you know mob justice will insue, its human nature to protect the ones we care about.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWorldAquatics
my 2 cents...
I think what bertuzi did was wrong and he got punished for it, I think the punishment was more than severe enough and if they go any further its getting ridiculous. If you think its Bertuzi's fault, as well as Crawford's fault, then it also has to be the fault of Moore for the cheap hit that he pulled earlier and "should" have been pummeled for(thats how the NHL works), also it is the ref's fault for letting the cheap shots go unpunished, and the leauges fault for not doing something about the way the game is played and letting things go unpunished. An NHL team could be compared to a big family and they protect their own, if your family member was taken out by a cheap shot you would probably want justice, or repercussions to be seen and felt by the one that took out your family member with a cheap shot,(especially if the "moderators" did nothing about it) thats what Bertuzi was trying to do and it went a little too far and a bad fall didnt help either, I blame it more on the NHL and the ref's of the previous Moore/Naslund incident, than I blame it on Bertuzi, he was protecting his family. I know if someone KO'ed one of my family members and the"law' did nothing about it, I would be steaming mad and want some repercussions to be felt by the culprit.... Thats what happened, but circumstances led to a more serious injury than the momentary pain that was intended to be inflicted. I don't think the injury was intentional but the pain factor was, Bertuzi is far from the only one to blame in this incident, people are looking at it like nothing else was involved other than a player momentarily ticked off, dishing out more than he should have. I don't like violence but when cheap shots go unpunished, you know mob justice will insue, its human nature to protect the ones we care about.
Are you serious? Moore paid for it in the first period. He fought. What he did was not a cheap shot (I don't believe), and you are saying that it's the NHL and the ref's fault more than Bertuzzi's? You seem to have a twisted view of the world. Burtuzzi chose to do what he did, if Moore decided to fight Burtuzzi and got his royal a$$ kicked (which would happen!) then that would be fair, but he got suckered. It's NO ONES fault but Bertuzzi's. No matter how "fair/unfair" you think Moore's hit was he didn't deserve that.

Walter
Old 03-12-2004, 03:19 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

and no i am not comparing it to murder, i am saying that a murder gets a more fair trial.

Steve
You are still trying to compare the judgement against a murder/civil trial ... if somebody is videotaped stabbing somebody and they goto hospital they will prolly get charged with assault with a weapon ... if they die from those injuries then those charges get upgraded to murder ... there are usually no video cameras when a guy murders somebody so hence a big trial etc etc .... if there was a video then the trial would not be all that long now would it ?

Bertuzzi did this in front of millions of people and his sentence was swift ... if the kid is up and around then good for him

You are upset that what ? ... Bertuzzi may get a longer sentence if the kid did not recover so quickly ? ... is this your whole point ?

Let's get this straight ... when 2 guys scrap on the ice there is intent to injure ... when Bertuzzi mugged this kid from behind with a sucker punch there was intent to injure ... when he pushed the kids face into the ice with all his weight behind it and still tries to get in another couple more sucker punches it shows that he is a coward and deserves to be held responsible if the injuries were more severe.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 03-12-2004, 03:27 AM

Perfectly said Steve! I think Bertuzzi still got off luckey.

Walter