Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozwal View Post
the only reason why people think golds or oceans creation "Lack" corals is because whenever they have new shipment, its gone within few days some times gone first few hours or opening, leaving only unwanted and common corals behind.

Golds and oceans are the cheapest in town overall

For me the top 3 are ocean creation, golds and RC
Good Point, in the past, Kevin @ Golds would call me when a shipment came in, and I would zoom down. It was a plus that the pricing was always killer.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
I wasn't trying to imply that they smoke in the shop. I know Kevin would never let that happen.
No worries I know you weren't, I figured you were just giving Doug a hard time and razzing him a bit
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I visited Golds for the first time on Saturday, based on the feedback in this thread.

Holy smokes! Talk about a busy place. I heard one person say to another (in reference to how busy it was) "It's always like this."

I don't like crowds, and I tend to be a bit claustrophobic. What is the best time to go to Golds? I'd like to have a really good browse in there.

I also visited Ocean Creation on Saturday. I picked up a couple of ELOS tests and a fan for my 10 gallon. He did have some interesting stock.

Red Coral seems to be the best place for me. It is so nice and open. I don't panic when I walk through the door. The service is good, and the frags look nice (don't have any yet . . . so my knowledge is limited).

But, I actually do most of my shopping at Pisces. Some of the gents are very knowledgeable (I've figured out who to deal with). Sure, I sometimes pay a bit more (and I do price check on-line alot). But I drive an F250 and live close to Pisces: I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more for a product then pay an extra ten bucks in fuel costs.

I've found that Big Al's is a big waste of my time. Ditto with Riverfront.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I visited Golds for the first time on Saturday, based on the feedback in this thread.

Holy smokes! Talk about a busy place. I heard one person say to another (in reference to how busy it was) "It's always like this."
I find the evenings to a little more quiet at Golds. The weekends are always busy for sure. They are closed Thursday's for cleaning but anyother night. Durring the weekdays is really quiet if your job doesnt conflict with that.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
I find the evenings to a little more quiet at Golds. The weekends are always busy for sure. They are closed Thursday's for cleaning but anyother night. Durring the weekdays is really quiet if your job doesnt conflict with that.
I'm a fulltime+ oil and gas office slave (a cartographer in a legal land survey firm). My job conflicts with everything.

On my next "mental health" day I'll pop by Golds. He said he was getting some Cerith snails in (which I want).
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM

TheAce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

I don't like crowds, and I tend to be a bit claustrophobic. What is the best time to go to Golds? I'd like to have a really good browse in there.

I also visited Ocean Creation on Saturday. I picked up a couple of ELOS tests and a fan for my 10 gallon. He did have some interesting stock.

Red Coral seems to be the best place for me. It is so nice and open. I don't panic when I walk through the door. The service is good, and the frags look nice (don't have any yet . . . so my knowledge is limited).

But, I actually do most of my shopping at Pisces. Some of the gents are very knowledgeable (I've figured out who to deal with). Sure, I sometimes pay a bit more (and I do price check on-line alot). But I drive an F250 and live close to Pisces: I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more for a product then pay an extra ten bucks in fuel costs.

I've found that Big Al's is a big waste of my time. Ditto with Riverfront.

I find Friday early afternoon is the best... they are closed on thursdays because new shipments arrive, so friday afternoon while everyone is working, you get to see the new stock plus its not as hectic