V2: a little less deeeeluxe

Aqua controller JR
BK mini 180 skimmer
RO/DI
2x TLF reactors 1 carbon, 1 rowaphos
LR fuge
prodibio
no dosing ca/mg/dkh

260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

right now i do the simplr with ro at this time. my 50 does well thisway infacti find wheni do water changes the water coming out is clearer than the water going back in i have to look in to that maybe change my ro filters lol.

my 90 always also is simple i used to run ozone on it till my orp probe crapped out but even still im like you dump a few things in on a water change and forget it.

but.. i may get a lil more deluxe on my 180. i plan on a controller mainly for temp/lights/skimmer. and have purchased parts for a calcium reactor setup (if it fails ill just make my own soda and be done with it). may also concider a doser still unsure.

i really dont need the ability to have my controller system send me a text that a fish took a dump or issues here and there the only major addition will be to my home alarm system. i will be installing a water bug inside the tank stand as well as bottom edge in case of water leaks so that my home alarm will notify me that there is a major issue go home asap. concidering tank will be on main floor lol

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

im running no skimmer, tap water with no prime, no powerheads and i havnt changed water in 6 monthes and my sps are doing better than they have in the last 2 years in a high tech system, so spend money on things that make your life easier not cause its the new trend
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Consider my system simple although I have three rather costly MP40WES gadgets moving the water. Other than that, sumpless & DIY almost everything. I even purchased the system used from a lady in Richmond & transported the whole works back to Vernon in the middle of winter (early January). The skimmer that came with it is an old school, wooden air diffuser driven counter current which certainly looks like someone's DIY project. I added a few of my own mods to the skimmer & it works great. Also cobbled together the light fixture consisting of two MH 250 watt lamps in DIY Lumenarc reflectors & 2 retrofit T5 tubes overdriven by a Workhorse 8 ballast. Currently in the process of building a LED fixture using 10 watt LEDs. My ATO is a glass wine carboy pressurized by an air pump on a timer. No controller, just timers for the ATO & lights.

Livestock includes two sizeable BTAs hosting a spawning Maroon Clownfish pair, Yellow Tang, Mandarin Dragonet, Yellowtail Damsel & Singapore Angelfish. Then there are the miscellaneous critters like snails, hermits & a Tuxedo Urchin. Coral is mostly soft & LPS with a couple of small SPS frags. Everything's doing well. I'd love to keep a Lawnmower Blenny but I've lost 3 of them now, all due to different circumstances, so I'm giving them a break from my system. Dosing is sporadic. Whenever I do a water change, I'll usually test & if something's a little too far off, I add what's needed to the ATO without a lot of precise measuring. Despite this apparent lack of precision with regard to dosing, LPS such as my Hammer & a Chalice appear to be getting plenty of calcium, since they are among the fast growers in my system. Even the two little SPS frags are growing. Not sure what they even are, they're brown and are branching profusely. So my theory on that is, even if calcium levels drop to half of what they should be (I've never measured that low), it's likely that certain corals will find a way to extract enough of it to build. So unless you're farming coral for sale (or really have a ton of SPS), do you really need to dose like a madman & keep levels over 400 or are water changes at regular intervals sufficient?

I tend to feed heavily relative to the low fish bioload since I like the critters to be fat & the Maroons spawning. Consequently, I have a bit of an algae scrubber in certain areas of my display (read hair algae). I don't sweat it too much unless it starts crowding the coral & prefer to look at it as free nitrate export. After all I'm paying good money for all that light shining down into the tank, so that in combination with plenty of food fuels the process. Some day I'll have a sump and try to eliminate the stuff from the display. Being a previously owned system with very little flow when I picked it up, this could be contributing to the algae growth. I'm seeing a steady improvement with each water change, but looks like I have a ways to go on that front. Not sure any deluxe gadgets are going to help with that.

Crap, I wrote another freakin novel. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
spend money on things that make your life easier not cause its the new trend
Agree!

Something always " gets better " .

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm running a very simple deluxe system. Or maybe it is a deluxe simple system.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have no idea if mine is deluxe or not. Bubbleking skimmer and vortech pumps, metal halide lights, RO.......but add top off water and cal/alk by hand

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I chose deluxe with ro water.

vertex RO/DI
2 mp40
vertex in180
3 channel doser
ecobak biopellets in deltec reactor
brs dual reator one empty one carbon

Paddy has seen my tank many times and says it's deluxe and I somewhat agree. I still have many many problems with my tank and believe deluxe isn't always better. I'll figure this salty thing out sometime.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Im not sure where mine would fall probably in the middle

untreated tap water( i have a perfectly good newish100GPD RODI system but its so slow I dont bother using it might produce just over 1 GPH)
decent skimmer, MH, dosing pumps, carbon, biopellets, GFO in reactors ran off return pump, im running a closed loop and dose 3 zeo products (pohls xtra, coral snow, amino acids) use cheep korilia K4 powerheads

could be much more basic but also much more complex with full zeo ca reactors kalk reactors tunze or vortech powerheads to randomize flow patterns high end controllers

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

deeeeeeeluxe.

Vortechs
Radions
bubbleking skimmer
profilux controller
Calcium reactor
Bio pellets in vertex reactor
ro water
looking to add a new doser and subtract the reactor

I like the gadgets, I'm a tech junkie so the latest and greatest things are what I like and as soon as something new comes out I'll be looking for it. I'm working on a wireless controller for the radions and love checking params via my phone.

(still working on a rain shower with thunder to coincide with the radion lightning )

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca

Last edited by subman; 04-08-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: add