Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Never been able to get mine working reliably either. I've basically given up & only make water when I'm home to monitor what's going on. I realize that's not a luxury everyone has, but with a little planning, it works for me. Just can't get myself to trust these little ASO valves. They are pretty simple & should work, just a diaphragm in there that is supposed to work on differential pressure. I can't afford a flood in my basement & don't like wasting water, so wouldn't trust it even if it did work... some times.
Mine works flawlessly. But it still uses 4x the waste than I would like to have it.
Maybe you need a new ASOV
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Field Supply View Post
Yeow! This type of shut off valve shown here IS NOT plumbed as shown in the diagram above.

Russ
Actually there are two types, one type is plumbed as shown in the diagram the other is plumbed as shown in the video, the respective in/outs are typically labeled but either way the lines you tap into are the same.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM

pirate is on a distinguished road

Russ - ill give you guys a call when I'm on my days off.

Mike31154 - if I figur out what's wrong with mine I'll let you know.

There seems to be a couple of different asov I had the one in the shown with 4 ports on it and the one I have set up now is a kent and it has 3. Same idea different layout.

I have yet to fill up my holding tank as then I can't move it. I was hoping to get it up and running for a few weeks before I head out on holidays, and leave it running while I'm gone. Plus I don't want a water fall coming down the steps when I forget that I'm making water. I'd do that the first time I think.

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys keep them coming.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Even if you get it working, I'd advise against leaving any RODI system running while away for an extended period. Disaster waiting to happen, unless you have someone looking in from time to time or have it set up so that any leaks will go down a drain. Be prepared for a hefty water bill.

Fairly certain that the issue with mine is the ASOV, but I'm not going to bother trying to troubleshoot or replace the damned thing. I'll just keep shutting off manually when I'm done. But thanks, I will certainly be interested in finding out what's up with yours.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-19-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I've got a brand new valve and have never gotten around to installing it. I know roughly how long I need to run things and set myself an obnoxious timer. I prefer to play it safe!

There have been a couple times I've forgotten about the timer and have been away from the house when it went off. This was before I got float valves installed on the containers so I had to haul it home fast.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 AM

Buckeye Field Supply is on a distinguished road

If the hydraulic shut off valves don't float your boat, there's always a pressure switch, transformer, and solenoid. Works very well.

Russ
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 AM

pirate is on a distinguished road

If I can't get this to work then I'll probley look into one of those. I need to do my homework on them before I go and buy one.