Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Reverend is on a distinguished road

i basically take a cup of vinegar, put 4 tsp of kalk powder in the vinegar, still it up, and then mix it with 4 gallons of ro/di water.

one day i'll make a kalk stirrer using one of those single rotisserie bbq things from canadian tire. for now, i just stir it a bit after i pour the vinegar+kalk mix, wait a bit then plug into the ato setup. kalk reactors are pretty expensive for what they are.

i use this in combo with a 2 part reefdoser. if i had a 3 pump doser, would probably be safer than the float switch + pump method but it would also eventually put a strain on the dosing pump and tubes. for now, the aqualifter just needs cleaning.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I used kalk in the make up water only for as long as it took me to build a kalk reactor. you cannot get a high enough concentration in top off water to make it worth it in a high growth sps system.

I had a gravity top off of 110 gal resivoir in the garage that fed my calk reactor and then went into the tank via a float valve.. no pumps. well I used one pump on my kalk reactor on a timer that would cirulate the kalk in the reactor for 1 min every hour.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I just picked up a third Drew's Doser from BRS. I'm going to use it for Kalk...should get that setup today. I have a tub of RowaKalk to use up.

SPS fanatic.