Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
It is there own proprietary LED, that is designed strictly for the purpose of aquarium use.
Nope
They use someones chip and adjust it to their liking. There only only a handful of companies that make LEDs.

What these companies do is take a cree chip or a bridgelux or a epistar and package it in a way to sell it. So from the orphek site they have taken someones chip and developed the phosphorus layer with the locus they want and have started marketing them as LED fixtures. Most of these guys do not use the CREE chip, usually its a cheaper epistar or bridgelux to keep the costs down.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
Nope
They use someones chip and adjust it to their liking. There only only a handful of companies that make LEDs.

What these companies do is take a cree chip or a bridgelux or a epistar and package it in a way to sell it. So from the orphek site they have taken someones chip and developed the phosphorus layer with the locus they want and have started marketing them as LED fixtures. Most of these guys do not use the CREE chip, usually its a cheaper epistar or bridgelux to keep the costs down.
UMMMM.....Nope...sorry Milad you are wrong.

Here is a statement from their USA/CANADA REP....

"We are the only LED light manufacturer that engineered our own diode. Made specifically for coral reef aquarium lighting, we believe (and have the spectrographic data to prove) that our diode is superior to any other on the market for reef aquarium lighting, and doens't emit 50% of it's output in useless PUR as do Cree diodes!"

Also....

"The components of our lights, from the housing to the diodes themselves, are made by us, for us. There are no cheaply made or mass produced components in any of our products."

http://www.3reef.com/forums/orphek-l...us-101843.html
Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Also something to note is that most fixtures are simply using off the shelf LEDs(meaning the same LEDs we have access too and that are NOT changed or designed for aquarium use in any way) ...including the new Radion , vertex and AI stuff which all use off the shelf Cree LED.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Also something to note is that most fixtures are simply using off the shelf LEDs(meaning the same LEDs we have access too and that are NOT changed or designed for aquarium use in any way) ...including the new Radion , vertex and AI stuff which all use off the shelf Cree LED.
Not all diodes on the Ecotech Radion are Cree. They use an Osram for the reds.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM

ok....but that still doesn't change the point of my post.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Lol much of the kool aid did you drink.
Let's assume for a second the rep knows what he is talking about. If that's the case then this small company is creating "efficient" LEDs that are as efficient as bridgelux LEDs. Bridgelux has probably spent millions apon millions to make their led chips to the efficiency they are. So you are telling me a eBay store (yes these guys were a china drop ship eBay store last year) can compete with the millions bridgelux spends on R&D? Ok

Worse case they make their own chips.

Best case scenario they use someone else's chips and they build their own phosphorus layer and locus which still takes alot of money. The rep could be considering this as their "own diode". If they are doing this. That's great.

None of this really makes a huge effect compared to using other LEDs. The AI sol will grow your SPS just as well.

I deal will sales rep daily and they try to give me kool aid but I say no.

Quote:
UMMMM.....Nope...sorry Milad you are wrong.

Here is a statement from their USA/CANADA REP....

"We are the only LED light manufacturer that engineered our own diode. Made specifically for coral reef aquarium lighting, we believe (and have the spectrographic data to prove) that our diode is superior to any other on the market for reef aquarium lighting, and doens't emit 50% of it's output in useless PUR as do Cree diodes!"

Also....

"The components of our lights, from the housing to the diodes themselves, are made by us, for us. There are no cheaply made or mass produced components in any of our products."

http://www.3reef.com/forums/orphek-l...us-101843.html
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Large companies/corporations do not always have the market cornered with respect to innovation & engineering expertise. It appears to me that Orphek has done at least several years of research into their product & from some of the reviews of actual users, the product is very good. After reading the information in the link to 3reef, I'm inclined to believe that a fair bit of effort & useful research has gone into their fixtures. The fact that they do not use Crees or even Bridgelux (which many have scoffed at until recently) may turn some people off, but there is more & more data appearing that shows there are other manufacturers out there producing diodes more than suited to our application. Bottom line appears to be that at the very least they've done extensive research into the colour spectrum required by our livestock & tailored their fixtures to that end.

It's irrelevant where their storefront may have been a year ago. To the best of my knowledge their head office is currently in Brazil, one of the strongest emerging market economies. We need to be careful of our foreign country bashing, particularly China. They have some very intelligent folks over there, just like any country in the world, many of them educated in some of our finest universities. I figure in a decade or two, our complacency & sense of entitlement with our still comfortable standard of living is in for a wake up call from emerging market countries like Brazil, China etc.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM

RE:MILAD

How do I know that it's not you serving up the kool-aid? I guess I'm supposed to believe that you know more about the product than the national rep?

You know companies can get sued for false product claims right. So this guy is a liar and a liability to the company i guess.

I show you a statement from the company...and you give me guesses and opinions....yet I'm to believe the guy who is just guessing he knows the situation.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Large companies/corporations do not always have the market cornered with respect to innovation & engineering expertise. It appears to me that Orphek has done at least several years of research into their product & from some of the reviews of actual users, the product is very good. After reading the information in the link to 3reef, I'm inclined to believe that a fair bit of effort & useful research has gone into their fixtures. The fact that they do not use Crees or even Bridgelux (which many have scoffed at until recently) may turn some people off, but there is more & more data appearing that shows there are other manufacturers out there producing diodes more than suited to our application. Bottom line appears to be that at the very least they've done extensive research into the colour spectrum required by our livestock & tailored their fixtures to that end.

It's irrelevant where their storefront may have been a year ago. To the best of my knowledge their head office is currently in Brazil, one of the strongest emerging market economies. We need to be careful of our foreign country bashing, particularly China. They have some very intelligent folks over there, just like any country in the world, many of them educated in some of our finest universities. I figure in a decade or two, our complacency & sense of entitlement with our still comfortable standard of living is in for a wake up call from emerging market countries like Brazil, China etc.
Couldn't agree more.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
RE:MILAD

How do I know that it's not you serving up the kool-aid? I guess I'm supposed to believe that you know more about the product than the national rep?

You know companies can get sued for false product claims right. So this guy is a liar and a liability to the company i guess.

I show you a statement from the company...and you give me guesses and opinions....yet I'm to believe the guy who is just guessing he knows the situation.
Not worth my time to explain it to you. Hopefully someone else has the time to explain.

You probably also think Dell makes that LCD screen that are infront of you right now.

Some reading material for you

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1856362&page=2
Quote:
I emailed the company but they only told me that the LEDs they use are big in China, but are not Chinese made. They don't have any fts shots either....
Quote:
ut we assure you that we are
using the best LED we could find in the market.
Quote:
Q: What is Orphek’s LED supplier?
A: Every company holds a secrecy policy about suppliers. We are very sorry
but we decided not to give this information for moment.
Quote:
Simone Shitrit
Customer Assistance & Advisor
Those quotes took about 30sec of Googleing, try it sometime.