Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
I would like to buy a fish. Anything that is blue. It has to be blue because I just decorated,and I want the fish to match my nice blue wallpaper. All your fish have velvet or Ick. Whats that? Oh,its normal in healthy fish. COOL,
thanks for clearing that up with me. Ok,I want a blue fish,Preferably velvet as the word velvet sounds sexy.OMG!! I will name it velvet Revolver!! Size? DAmn right size matters. Always say Bigger the better. My tank? It's one of those cube things. Biocube 14? Doesn't matter as velvet Revolver will fit right at home with the other 10 fish in there.
Oh,I will also take one of those dying or dead stick corals. Do those 1000 little flat things covering it cost extra?

Big deal,obviously someone you know sold you the coral at discount price. Fact of the matter these guys sell alot of unhealthy fish,dead or dying corals to inexperienced hobbyist at premium prices. I have seen this first hand. I wouldn`t put any of their corals or fish 10 feet from my tank. Go BS someone else
Man that sounded like me when I first started. Alot of people wont admit that but pretty sure alot were the same. I used to think that those guys at the fish store were sooo smart. After reading several books and hours researching on the net my attitude has totally changed towards this rewarding hobby. I regret to say I have killed alot of fish and corals and wasted tons of money over the years. I do my own research now and it has paid off and there really is not alot of people working in fish stores that I trust. None in my town at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

We all make nube mistakes. Heck I'm still a nube. But I've learned that there are people willing to help and even this site helped me out Alot. But honestly I never knew bout the better FS only the big box. Made my mistakes now I no
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
I would like to buy a fish. Anything that is blue. It has to be blue because I just decorated,and I want the fish to match my nice blue wallpaper. All your fish have velvet or Ick. Whats that? Oh,its normal in healthy fish. COOL,
thanks for clearing that up with me. Ok,I want a blue fish,Preferably velvet as the word velvet sounds sexy.OMG!! I will name it velvet Revolver!! Size? DAmn right size matters. Always say Bigger the better. My tank? It's one of those cube things. Biocube 14? Doesn't matter as velvet Revolver will fit right at home with the other 10 fish in there.
Oh,I will also take one of those dying or dead stick corals. Do those 1000 little flat things covering it cost extra?

Big deal,obviously someone you know sold you the coral at discount price. Fact of the matter these guys sell alot of unhealthy fish,dead or dying corals to inexperienced hobbyist at premium prices. I have seen this first hand. I wouldn`t put any of their corals or fish 10 feet from my tank. Go BS someone else
At the end of the day Caveat emptor applies, if your going to purchase something research it first. Your generalizing about all staff members @ all big box stores, I'm just playing devils advocate and saying there are few good ones out there.

I know of one person at this certain location that is highly knowledgeable about our hobby, having worked at a chain store your melodramatic impression of a LFS employee was a little insulting. Have you worked @ a LFS? Have you worked a retail job? I'm certainly not BS'ing when I say customers with predetermined mind frames like yourself make retail miserable.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

And we're back!

ZoaSensei is right tho. There are a couple of very knowlegable staffers at both Big Box stores that are in this hobby and also frequent this board. However they don't work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week so to fill the void there are some not-as-knowledgeable staffers, sadly :-(
Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
And we're back!
Do you, by any chance, deliver? I could use some of that popcorn
Old 09-20-2011, 05:25 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Do you, by any chance, deliver? I could use some of that popcorn
Focus Brad focus!! The random thought thread is over th... Oh.. Nevermind..
Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Focus Brad focus!! The random thought thread is over th... Oh.. Nevermind..
I laughed so hard at this <3.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
At the end of the day Caveat emptor applies, if your going to purchase something research it first. Your generalizing about all staff members @ all big box stores, I'm just playing devils advocate and saying there are few good ones out there.

I know of one person at this certain location that is highly knowledgeable about our hobby, having worked at a chain store your melodramatic impression of a LFS employee was a little insulting. Have you worked @ a LFS? Have you worked a retail job? I'm certainly not BS'ing when I say customers with predetermined mind frames like yourself make retail miserable.

agreed completely i knew one at edmontons store and he was very knowlegeable it is what it is some are some arent.....its on the consumer

healthiest clam i ever bought came from aqua giant, guy at big als found me a gate valve in a hurry/emergency from his house and gave it to me for free.....ive also had not so good experiences similar to the one the op is talking about....it is what it is....some of our own most respected reefers that work at these stores are on this site and unless you knew them in person you would never have guessed,hell id go as far as to say some of you accepted advise from them not knowing it lol
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

I was in and LFS in San Francisco one time and watched the clerk as this guy approached with a fish tank and his 5 year old daughter coming walking with a little container of clown fish haha. This place you pick our your own fish. He just looked at the guy and said "ummm yea, your not ready for those, gold fish are over there" haha
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Ok buying fish is just like buying a dog big box store=pjs pets,pet smart, pet cetra ect. Small LFS=the small reputable non puppy mill breeders NOW that being said. a small reputable breeder would NEVER sell a dog to someone they thought wasn't ready or didn't know enough about the breed but on the other hand the big box stores won't even ask where u live or if u know anything about the dog ur buying. Now why should a lfs be any different? I'm also not saying this is a everyone or all situation I'm just saying what iv noticed

Last edited by Aquaria; 09-20-2011 at 08:31 AM.