Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
That is too bad. I paid $150 for mine a year ago, happy with the unit in general. At $80 it's a steal.
is yours a master built or a centreno? they had masterbuilt make a spicific line for canadian tire and named it centreno (not sure about the spelling) and thats when they used to stock them, but the electronics were suspect on the centreno so they quit having them made and just went with the normal masterbuilt product and hence quit stocking them for a store stock.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:52 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

I am not trying to sway anyone either way (because I know that this can be a hot debatable topic) but as for babysitting my smoker, it doesn't really take much time.

I can load my Weber Smokey Mountain with lump and let it burn for about 5hrs with only one slight adjustment after about 1hr. I smoked a Turkey in April at 275 for 5hrs and only touched the carbs once at the 1hr mark and again at 4.5hrs to open er up and crisp for the last half hour. Still had plenty of fire left when I took the bird off. If I wanted a longer burn time I could use brickets and get 7hrs. I prefer to use the lump as they are nothing but wood and brickets contain fillers. I feel the flavour is worth it.

I would recommend the book "Low and Slow" if you are starting out smoking. It can be a little condescending at times but it would get any one new to smoking off to a good start.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post
I can load my Weber Smokey Mountain with lump and let it burn for about 5hrs with only one slight adjustment after about 1hr.
yup and that the difference between a 35 buck charcoal smoker and a 400 to 500 buck one. I did about 5 hours of mods on my brinkman and it is still a pain.. I can't leave it for more than 10 min. I am slowly getting it better but here I have another problem.. no wood burning outdoor apliances are allowed and anything that burns real wood or lump falls in that catagory. I could run it on charcoal but I don't like the flavor it imparts.

only option is electric for summer for me. also for someone starting out electric can be very good as it is easier so they will get more good bbq results sooner, then if they decide they want the challange they can go to wood or what ever. another reason I am going electric is for making sasuage, you would be hard pressed on even the webber to start at 90 degrees for 2 hours then each hour raise the temp 10 degrees, till you get to 170. with electric and a step PID that I am using to make my big fridge smoker I can pre program this and not worry about it.

realy it makes no difference what you use for the heat source, electric, propain or wood, the only difference is how you apply the smoke. if you use a true stick burner then thats all you do, if you use lump, charcoal, propain or electric you have to introduce the smoke, weather it be by a chip tray or by just putting chunks of wood on the coals. the amount of smoke and consistancy of its aplication is the important part.

and heck when you can get a 300 buck electric smoker which gets very good reviews in the smoking comunity for 89 bucks, can you falt anyone for buying it

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post

and heck when you can get a 300 buck electric smoker which gets very good reviews in the smoking comunity for 89 bucks, can you falt anyone for buying it

Steve
I wish.......this deal is no where to be found.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
I wish.......this deal is no where to be found.
did you go into canuck rubber and get it ordered in? thats what I did. they do not stock it in the store as I said befor you have to go in, prepay and they will call you when it is in.

Steve

Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 AM

Huh???

Like I wrote, they told me when I called that no stores have it and its discontinued. Do you know otherwise?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
is yours a master built or a centreno? they had masterbuilt make a spicific line for canadian tire and named it centreno (not sure about the spelling) and thats when they used to stock them, but the electronics were suspect on the centreno so they quit having them made and just went with the normal masterbuilt product and hence quit stocking them for a store stock.

Steve

Mine is a Masterbuilt. It's been good to me so far. I did hear about the electronics giving trouble, but not until after I bought mine. IIRC it was the centreno brand that gave trouble.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Huh???

Like I wrote, they told me when I called that no stores have it and its discontinued. Do you know otherwise?
ya it showes discontinued, but they don't mean discontinued as you can't get it anymore, but rather discontinued as store stock, so basicly they are dropped shipped whebn ordered to the store for customer pick up. so you go into the store with the canuck rubber part number tell them you want to order something give them the number. if it doesent show the sale price tell them the other stored have been giving you the run around for the last week and you would like the sale price of 89.99 and have it ordered in. you have to pay for it in advance as it is a special order and it will take 2 to 4 weeks to come in.

can't call and do it , you have to go into the store. which I posted to you 9 posts ago

Steve

Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 AM

I did go in and they told me that they didnt have it....then they checked the "system" and told me no other stores have it and it was discontinued. I went two to stores and called a third and got the run around from all three. Obviously nobody knows what they are doing.

thanks for the tip.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Well its official..........I can't get one.