Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

You guys realize LEDs are cheaper than MH in about 2-3 years time if you do a DIY.

Think of the bulb cost, electricity cost of the MH, electricity cost of the cooler to cool the tank because its getting hot.

Aquattro you just need to see the right LEDs, not your standard LFS issued marineland strips. I konw there are a few guys in Victoria that have picked up LEDs from me, you should hit them up for a tour of a real LED fixture with quality LEDs.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
You guys realize LEDs are cheaper than MH in about 2-3 years time if you do a DIY.

Think of the bulb cost, electricity cost of the MH, electricity cost of the cooler to cool the tank because its getting hot.

Aquattro you just need to see the right LEDs, not your standard LFS issued marineland strips. I konw there are a few guys in Victoria that have picked up LEDs from me, you should hit them up for a tour of a real LED fixture with quality LEDs.

thats if your leds even last 3 yrs and what if you upgrade then you need more leds while a mh can be used on a variety of tanks.if not installed correctly leds burn out if you want to up grade its a pita and its trial and error on colour like t5's are if you order too many blues your screwed if you order too many whites your screwed.mh have been proven year after year and they work we know this leds are still in the experimental stage and sure they have their benefits but so do mh.im thinking about trying out some leds from you milad so dont think im bashing but at this time they def arent supperior.its kinda like acryliuc vs glass both have pros and cons
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I will stick with my MH's. I actually use them to heat my tanks because I don't use heaters and I am one of the few people that actually prefer the 10K colour and use XM 10Ks with no actinic supplements

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Or just wait 3 years and really good quality manufactured LED fixtures will probably be cheaper than DIY is now and you still would break even.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
thats if your leds even last 3 yrs and what if you upgrade then you need more leds while a mh can be used on a variety of tanks.if not installed correctly leds burn out if you want to up grade its a pita and its trial and error on colour like t5's are if you order too many blues your screwed if you order too many whites your screwed.mh have been proven year after year and they work we know this leds are still in the experimental stage and sure they have their benefits but so do mh.im thinking about trying out some leds from you milad so dont think im bashing but at this time they def arent supperior.its kinda like acryliuc vs glass both have pros and cons
Some good points.

They can burn out on you if you over power them or get less quality ones or mount them incorrectly. I guess I just have faith people use them correctly.

As far as too many of a certain color, thats not big deal as long as you get dimmable drivers. If you dont, then you are screwed. Most people get close the 14K look then adjust their light using the dimmable drivers to the color they want.

So lets say you are like my girlfriend and you go through mood swings... Ok I dont have a GF but lets pretend I do.... And one day you like 14K look and 3 months from now you decide you want more of a 20K look. As long as you have dimmable drivers, its a flick of a switch to switch between the looks. Cant do that with MHs.

I currently work for a company that deals with maintenance and building of buildings. We did a pilot project on street lighting around one of our campuses by switching out the lighting which was MH or HPS to LEDs. First people are amazed by the color the LED lighting is producing, second the maintenance superintendents are shocked because over the last 2 years they havent had to touch any of the lamps, zero maintenance. Not only that, the energy manager for the campus is high fiving the lighting superintendent because hes saving him so much money.

I know its not a reef example but out in the field, LEDs are being proven day after day as zero maintenance.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 AM

btw thread is derailing! back to OP topic, Ill have to give that a try to see how it looks.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I've been leary of LED's since last year when I went into one of the local SW stores to see the new LED fixture they had on display over their main display tank. After about 30 seconds I started getting a bad headache from it and the lights produced a grid effect all over the tank. I don't know if this is typical and I wish I could remember which brand it was so I could avoid it. It wasn't a cheap set up either. My LED flashlight actually looks better this fixture did.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
btw thread is derailing! back to OP topic, Ill have to give that a try to see how it looks.

i was actually over to a friends house the other day who ordered some leds with you and believe me hes got me sold its a beautiful set up and the lights are amazing i do like the dimmable drivers and the no heat or maintanance issue.things i didnt like though were where its diy theres no room for error on installation, bulbs have a possibility of burning out quick from heat,to add extra led's means a fair bit of work plus you need to find something to mount them on plus heatsink as well.

what happens when the leds get wet? what about salt creep?

ill send you a pm as i do want to order some like i mentioned they both have great features youll just have to send me step by step instructions on install lol
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Remember the PFO Solaris fixtures? Does anyone still own one or did they all break down as PFO went out of business? I'll wait for the industry to mature some more.

I'm also concerned about the spread. A single 250W MH in a good reflector can light a 3'x3' area quite well. What would a person need to achieve the same goal with LED? I plan to make my next tank 5' long and 3' front to back which I'll be able to comfortably light with my current two pendants.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 AM

Most people put a pane of glass between the LEDs and tank to prevent salt creep and getting them wet. Acrylic works too but it can sag.

You can also mount the LEDs more than a foot above the tank and there shouldnt be any salt creep/wetness.

Is your friend on canreef? Which LEDs did he get? You may have been spoiled by the new XM-Ls, they are inhumanly bright.