Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

J&L has them on their site.

Arrow crabs are sort of a specialized item that not all stores are going to stock all of the time because they probably aren't a big seller. But they seem to be a pretty standard item on the availability lists that I've looked at so I'm sure they can be bought almost anywhere. Even our LFS, Total Pet, brings them in on occasion... and they aren't much of a saltwater store.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
I have a solution that does not involve worrying about fish survivability or corals being eaten:

Arrow Crab. Most will eat feather dusters (though typically used to 'get rid of bristle worms'. Just tossing it out there.

Cheers,

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
sure, but where exactly do you find one? Never saw this for sale in my area, not even online?
I was at Aquarium Illusions and Big als in Edmonton yesterday and both of these stores had some for sale.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
I was at Aquarium Illusions and Big als in Edmonton yesterday and both of these stores had some for sale.
Yeah... as a reply I was just going to say that.. I see them commonly at those two stores here. Somewhere down that way (QU) should be able to order you one for sure!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i would never put another one of these in my tank... when they are small sure their great but when they get big they go after fish.... i lost a fire shrimp, pearly jawfish, and a chromis to mine.... it was in a rsm and i never found bodies for these and did see the arrow crap JUMP off the rockscape trying to grab fish..... i have heard that they may also stab fish with their spear shaped head...i never saw this behavior but it was extremely aggresive towards ALL posible food.....in the end my arrow crab was killed by my rusty angel and tobbacco bass.. everything in my tank ganged up on this crab and killed it... a real pay per view event.. and some how i was home to see it...

just my experience with my one and only arrow crab...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
I have a solution that does not involve worrying about fish survivability or corals being eaten:

Arrow Crab. Most will eat feather dusters (though typically used to 'get rid of bristle worms'. Just tossing it out there.

Cheers,

Chris
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Copperband (and most other) butterflyfish are notorious featherduster eaters IME.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
i would never put another one of these in my tank... when they are small sure their great but when they get big they go after fish.... i lost a fire shrimp, pearly jawfish, and a chromis to mine.... it was in a rsm and i never found bodies for these and did see the arrow crap JUMP off the rockscape trying to grab fish..... i have heard that they may also stab fish with their spear shaped head...i never saw this behavior but it was extremely aggresive towards ALL posible food.....in the end my arrow crab was killed by my rusty angel and tobbacco bass.. everything in my tank ganged up on this crab and killed it... a real pay per view event.. and some how i was home to see it...

just my experience with my one and only arrow crab...
I have heard of this problem... but not with healthy fish. Also have heard many success stories with these critters.

Yet again... another example that basically no single fish or invert in our hobby sticks to the 'description' we give it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

Dropped in an Arrow Crab from JL Aquatics.

Not sure if he is eating them or not. Just see him sitting striking a pose for the past few days.

On another note, left a piece of live rock outside the tank for 2 hrs to dry up cuz it was full of dusters.

Put it back in the tank and they all popped back out...damn.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379