Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM

CGY_Betta_Guy is on a distinguished road

yeah... that is what I heard about the LR... I was just going to push it down until I hit glass... too bad about not being able to add anything... fish keeping is about patience I guess... sigh.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY_Betta_Guy View Post
yeah... that is what I heard about the LR... I was just going to push it down until I hit glass... too bad about not being able to add anything... fish keeping is about patience I guess... sigh.

wont be long within a few weeks youll be ready for a clean up crew , and some hardy corals....in the meantime use that time to aquascape, get your maintanance routine down,practise testing and keep algae out of your tank

lots of reading time lol
Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 AM

AHHope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
that the ones at pisces pets?
Ya those are the tanks and its looking alot better now that i actually have some nano fish to work with (btw barnicle blennies are now my new favroite nano fish) and thanks for the compliments. Did you guys both vote salt?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 AM

I didnt actually get a chance to vote... just ran in to grab something really quickly and saw the tanks there. Maybe on my next trip in this week... how long is the contest going?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 AM

AHHope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didnt actually get a chance to vote... just ran in to grab something really quickly and saw the tanks there. Maybe on my next trip in this week... how long is the contest going?
funny thing is a actually need the votes. Contest is going till the end of the month then from the votes were raffling a spec system away.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM

So I went and got some live rock on sale at Big Als boxing day sale... is it true that I shouldnt have the lights on for the first bit while cycling? There appears to be lots of purples, some orange and some small growths of various things on the rocks already. Should these be situated so that the light would hit them?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 AM
R.I.P.

honestly its your own preference your more prone to algae blooms during cycling so leaving your lights on wont help there, but youd need light if you were trying to save any corals. lights wont effect your cycle and it wont hurt to run them a few hours a day either.

some say running actinics 24/7will help in coraline growth while your starting your tank for a couple weeks.

also remember anytime you add liverock thats been out of the water for any period of time to a tank your bound to see an amonia spike be it big or small
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the input Reefwars. Guess I will leave the lights on in case there is some nice stuff capable of growing in the LR. I only have 2 MR16 LED lights and a strip of Automotive LED lights sitting on the top of my tank. Not sure if I have any corals on the live rock but there are a couple forms of circular life form with little arms which I would say "might" be alive. It is moving in the current and doesnt appear to be translucent like other things that seem to be dying off on the rock. It doesnt really have any sort of color though so I am not sure its alive or not and at the moment I cant identify it since I havent done enough research yet. I do seem to have some bristle like appendages that seem to be attached to the rock that have started to get some green color to them which I didnt notice when I first bought the rock. I have no clue what they are but they are short and maybe 1mm across in diameter and maybe 2 - 3mm in length sticking out off the live rock. The green versions of these do seem to have just started coming out and most are dark brown, purple or light tan colored. I would guess its not algae.

Is coraline algae a good thing on live rock? These big patches of purple are pretty pervasive on the one chunk of live rock I have while the other 2 have really small splotches across the surface.

I was going to put some pot scrubbies into my sump but realized that this might not be a good thing in a marine tank vs a FW tank. Should I even bother with the scrubbies in this FOWLR tank?

Still havent tested the water for ammonia and nitrite yet but its only been a couple days since putting the LR in so I figure its a waste doing a test so early. Currently using plain Calgary Tap water dechlorinated with Prime as I dont have a RODI system.
The hydrometer I bought seems to show the salinity is high which is annoying since I followed the instructions on the bag. I seeded the hydrometer but not sure how accurate it is. I decided to splurge for a refractometer while its on sale. Will be changing out a bit of water in a couple days I think.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Thanks for the input Reefwars. Guess I will leave the lights on in case there is some nice stuff capable of growing in the LR. I only have 2 MR16 LED lights and a strip of Automotive LED lights sitting on the top of my tank. Not sure if I have any corals on the live rock but there are a couple forms of circular life form with little arms which I would say "might" be alive. It is moving in the current and doesnt appear to be translucent like other things that seem to be dying off on the rock. It doesnt really have any sort of color though so I am not sure its alive or not and at the moment I cant identify it since I havent done enough research yet. I do seem to have some bristle like appendages that seem to be attached to the rock that have started to get some green color to them which I didnt notice when I first bought the rock. I have no clue what they are but they are short and maybe 1mm across in diameter and maybe 2 - 3mm in length sticking out off the live rock. The green versions of these do seem to have just started coming out and most are dark brown, purple or light tan colored. I would guess its not algae.

Is coraline algae a good thing on live rock? These big patches of purple are pretty pervasive on the one chunk of live rock I have while the other 2 have really small splotches across the surface.

I was going to put some pot scrubbies into my sump but realized that this might not be a good thing in a marine tank vs a FW tank. Should I even bother with the scrubbies in this FOWLR tank?

Still havent tested the water for ammonia and nitrite yet but its only been a couple days since putting the LR in so I figure its a waste doing a test so early. Currently using plain Calgary Tap water dechlorinated with Prime as I dont have a RODI system.
The hydrometer I bought seems to show the salinity is high which is annoying since I followed the instructions on the bag. I seeded the hydrometer but not sure how accurate it is. I decided to splurge for a refractometer while its on sale. Will be changing out a bit of water in a couple days I think.

sounds like your off to a great start so in short yes coraline is good over time it does need to be scraped off glass and there are forms that tend to grow like weeds and such but its wanted for color like greens and purples and reds and is beneficial.

untill you actually have livestock of somesort use a reduced photoperiod like 8hrs then as time goes by you can climb up to 10-12hrs a day,

the life your finding on your rock does it look like this??

if so its called aiptasia and its a pest anemone their sting is very strong and they reproduce at an alarming rate and take over tanks very fast be forever on your lookout for it as its everywhere and i mean everywhere lol

how about spome pics???
Old 12-29-2010, 05:44 AM

its similar to the one pictured but doesnt have the white striations and its not quite as thick lookin. I looked a bit closer and it appears I only have 1 of these on the LR. I will get some pics up soon... not sure how well they will turn out though.