Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 AM

rtram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevNnic View Post
I will and always will go to the "smaller guy" because they are usualy more knowledgable, and know what they're selling most of the time. I haven't had any good experiences at some of the bigger stores. Nothing like going into a sport check and talking to some 16 year old kid who doesn't give a **** about customer support, as long as he is getting paid!
that's unfortunate. you know, not all 16 year old's are completely incompetent. and not all large, chain fish stores are completely terrible either. we have tons of people that come in and leave happy.

Last edited by rtram; 08-11-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

im not saying all big chain stores are bad, i have had some good experiences at Big al's but i perfer a more personable experience when im buying a product.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtram View Post
that's unfortunate. you know, not all 16 year old's are completely incompetent. and not all large, chain fish stores are completely terrible either. we have tons of people that come in and leave happy.
I can honestly say, some 16yo's can be more knowledageble than most.

Taylor at my store is only 16, and anyone that has dealt with him knows he is a very impressive teenager. Very knowlageble, willing to learn, and not afraid to ask or admit he doesn't know.

I can understand the box/chain stores are not as diligent as the smaller ones. We have a limited supply of livestock and inventory. They have to deal with whatever is thrown at them, not everyone knows everything about every product. I can honestly say I wouldn't want to be a manager at one of those places.

As for refunds, we cannot refuse anyone a refund unless it is posted "final sale" or have a "refund for store credit" policy.

But know the policy of your store, as they can set it to whatever they want. This is quoted from a govenment website;

"Stores are free to set their own refund policies with some common options including a money back guarantee. Stores which offer money back guarantees usually apply certain restrictions such as proof of purchase, time limits and returning the item in the original packaging. Other common options offered by stores may include an exchange or credit note. In addition, some stores, in particular specialty shops, may have a "no refund" policy. These are all options that consumers should become familiar with in case they are not satisfied with the product.
Consumers should also keep in mind that gifts purchased at full price which are later discounted may only be refunded at the discount price, if the consumer no longer has a receipt. As well, consumers should be aware of any signage in the store which indicates that sales may be final."

To sum it up, buyer beware.

BTW, the BBB is a waste of time, being on both sides of fence with them. Also being an abritrator in a few cases in the past, I found it was a joke. After we dropped our BBB affiliation with my other business, we found that the BBB was almost as bad as telemarketers trying to get us to resign.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

As an employer myself, I find this situation bizarre.
What would compel an employee to chase down a customer in order to get them to pay more money?
I cannot legally make an employee reimburse me for losses, so why do this?
Is it an employee behind the till, or could it be an owner?
An employee would have to suffer huge embarrassment and a reprisal from the boss for making the store look bad.
Is there a store policy to do this? If so, a call to a head office or a request to speak to a manager/owner would be in order.
If this is a small business, this shop is going to get a bad reputation which will hurt business.
If this a part of a large franchise, the whole point of a franchise system is to have systems in place in order to make the franchise owner successful. Perhaps the head office is not aware of this practice.
It doesn't matter who the store is - this is bad business.
Very strange.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchM; 08-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

I go to this store often to check out their selection and their prices. One particular fish was $60 for a couple weeks, they changed his tank and then all of a sudden he was $29. No reason, just that the person who was looking up his price couldn't find it and just spouted out a price. If I paid for the fish and then they tried to get me to pay more, i'd be laughing in their faces. I know my rights...just let them try it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

I have been fortunate with stores in edmonton in regards to reefing, everyone i have talked to know a fair amount of information, which is nice when you are starting out in the hobby with little to no knowledge. all in all im very satisfied with our LFS. A hobby such as this takes alot of learning in order to help out a customer like me who once didn't know jack.

keep up the good work guys, as for the topic its just bad business on the stores part. I know in my industry the customer is always right, even when they are dead wrong.