Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM

Joseph Elliott is on a distinguished road

The canister is full of bio media and a couple course sponges for the large particles. So if I understand correctly the live rock replaces bioballs etc in the canister as the bio-filtration (ammonia-nitrite-nitrate). If I get rid of the canister filter and buy another hydor powerhead then I'll be ahead in the long run?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Correct!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 AM

My tank isn't drilled can someone post pictures of how to set up an non drilled tank for a sump? DIY is not a problem for me.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You would need to buy an overflow box, which will overflow on you one day. Really think about drilling the tank
Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 AM

Can a tank be drilled while partially full ( say half full of water ) or will there be filings and bits falling into the water? I dont have a drill press can i use a hand drill?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Using an overflow box that hangs on is askin fir trouble I had one and it needs daily maintenance and your walking on needles on your sleep wondering if it's working right , not overly safe for power outages I don't have much faith in those vacuums.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Elliott View Post
Can a tank be drilled while partially full ( say half full of water ) or will there be filings and bits falling into the water? I dont have a drill press can i use a hand drill?
No, it needs to be empty. If you have livestock already, it's too late, as there is always a risk of it cracking, and that would suck if you have stuff in it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

for the price of an overflow box you can buy a small tank thats drilled ive seen tanks for less than a hundred bucks and still a decent size
Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Elliott View Post
My tank isn't drilled can someone post pictures of how to set up an non drilled tank for a sump? DIY is not a problem for me.
While sumps are nice to have and allow your display have a cleaner look, they are not mandatory to run a succesfull SW system. I've been sumpless since I set up my used system almost 4 years ago. I do have a future build in the works for a larger system with basement sump though. Other than the detraction of more visible equipment in and around the display of a sumpless set up, it can actually be simpler and ... gasp ... safer than something with a sump. BTW, I have a mini sump... it's a Rena XP series canister filter running empty except for a small amount of carbon.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-29-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 AM

Sorry for all the questions What would you recommend for test kits - brand and types? And do you think i need a skimmer?

Also since the single rouge anenome there hasnt been any sign of life in my tank... I'm sure the rock is busy cycling but no critters Any ideas? Its been 3 weeks time to turn on the lights?