Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 11-22-2003, 05:28 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
Even with some luxury, and unnecesary items, the cost is but a fraction of a large system.
But, at $42.73/gallon that is comparatively very high. I'm sure you could start a larger system for less (per gallon) which I think is what the original poster meant.

Also, speaking from experience, the beginning reefer, setting up a nano, normally wouldn't have access to the advantageous pricing (ie, cheap/free rock, tanks, etc) that you, more knowledgable, reefers have.
Sure, I will grant you that, but we are talking a system with luxuries. I would think that with some DIY skills, and looking in the "buy and Sell" on the boards, one could easily have a bare bones 10 gallon nano for around $15.00/gallon. I don't think you could do a large system for anywhere near that price.

In reality this whole discussion is just academic. In real life there are many ways to do things. I am just saying that with modest $$$ to spend, you can have a nice nano, and be happy. That is what it is all about , no

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 11-24-2003, 05:42 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure, I will grant you that, but we are talking a system with luxuries. I would think that with some DIY skills, and looking in the "buy and Sell" on the boards, one could easily have a bare bones 10 gallon nano for around $15.00/gallon. I don't think you could do a large system for anywhere near that price.
Absolutely! If I was going to do it again (and I will, with a larger system ) I would do as you suggest. For a beginner, going to the LFS and buying new gear, it can be very $$$. If you're lucky/smart enough to have patience, find this board (and others), do your research you can keep the costs down on any system.

Old 11-24-2003, 04:14 PM

This is not intended as an argument, but I am just summing up. As a final analysis you can spend a ton of money on a nano system to set it up. The one thing in a nano's favour is that the running costs are considerably less than a large system. That's it for me on this subject.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hi Tamara. Welcome to Canreef. Nice to see another from Manitoba.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:50 PM

Shy_Koi is on a distinguished road

Thanks Doug
Glad to have found this forum!
~Reef Newbie Tamara, of Happy Rock...
Old 11-27-2003, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_Koi
Nice to have found you folks

I was going to go with a 30 g reef, but I like the 45 g dimensions better: 36 x 12 x 24 (the tank-to-be can't be longer than 36" as I'm running out of room in this little house).
Are you sure about that size. I am aware of a 45 that is 48x12x18. A 24" deep tank sounds horribly hard to light.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Are you sure about that size. I am aware of a 45 that is 48x12x18. A 24" deep tank sounds horribly hard to light.
I can't say that I have personally seen the 45 g, but 2 different places quoted me those measurements over the phone...

I'm concerned about the 2 ft depth also, but if I stick in a 6" sandbed, would this now make it an 18" water column (and easier to light)? Or did I inhale too much alfalfa dust during chores last night?
~Tamara
Old 11-27-2003, 03:18 PM

To begin, I have not seen a tank with those dimensions, but I may not have been paying attention .I also don't think it is wise to use a six inch sandbed to obviate lighting problems. I tried a six inch bed once, and did not like it. Even the 18" depth, and narrow 12" width is very difficult to decorate. I myself have a standard 50 gallon tank, which is 36"x18"x18". This tank is easily available for just under $100.00 here in town. Using a four inch sandbed I am left with a 14" water column, which I light with a 2x96W PC fixture. That is my two cents worth anyway.

Old 11-27-2003, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I myself have a standard 50 gallon tank, which is 36"x18"x18". This tank is easily available for just under $100.00 here in town. Using a four inch sandbed I am left with a 14" water column, which I light with a 2x96W PC fixture. That is my two cents worth anyway.
Your two cents is appreciated
The 50 g sounds perfect for me. I was hoping to source a wider tank than the standard 12" so that placement of the live rock would be easier for Ms. Fumble Fingers here.
I'm travelling to Winnipeg tomorrow, so will have a look around for that size.
Thanks Bob!
~Tamara
Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Tamara,
Where are going to buy in Winnipeg. Jayson at Saltwater Connection will make any custom size tank you wish.

I also once owned a 36in. 50 or 60 gal. It was a very nice tank.