Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
When it gets like it did last night though, I turn off lights and unplug anything that's not on a UPS.
Are your tank pumps on UPS? I was wondering about this myself. Didn't get a power failure down south but the lights were flickering all evening and the pumps were chattering a little on the bigger ones.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

DAMN power outages!! Wednesday there was a scheduled outage at my place for 10 hours, which Fortis was nice enough to go door to door handing out notice it was going to happen. No biggie, tank did fine.

Yesterday, power was out for 10 hours while I was at work with no warning. Then I went out for 6-7 hours right after work. Get home, single power head in the tank was stuck in reverse .. no flow with lights on!! .. Two nice acros started to STN a little

More and more reason to get the new tank finished and cycling this weekend
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Are your tank pumps on UPS? I was wondering about this myself. Didn't get a power failure down south but the lights were flickering all evening and the pumps were chattering a little on the bigger ones.
None of my tank stuff is on UPS. My computers, TV's and other sensitive electronics are.

I think you'll find that for what all but the smallest tank would draw, even a fair-sized UPS wouldn't last very long (guessing here, but for, say, a Maxijet1200 and a Koralia 2, maybe an hour ?). The real kicker is that when the power goes out, it's no big deal for a while; it's when it's STILL out 4 hours later that you need to worry. A UPS would kick-in right away and run mission-critical pumps for maybe an hour and then die. What you really need is something that knows when the power goes out and then waits an hour or
2 and then comes on, stabilizes things and then shuts off for a few hours and then repeats the process so things don't get too out of hand.

Of course, that assumes that you have prolonged power outages.

The other way to look at it -and this makes more sense in a city with reliable power, like Calgary- is that the UPS would keep things running for the duration of the outage (not lights and 'extras', but at least a circulation and maybe a skimmer) which would be optimal.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.