Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Fragzilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI View Post
great looking stand! i love the molding work!
the top and bottom molding is store bought, all other trim work was done with 3/4" soft maple and a router.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Pretty much finished off the painting, it will need a few touch ups later. After much debate went with a white paint.

Front

Side

Couple detail shot of one of the pillars

I am pretty happy how th paint turned out considering I was using a paint brush

Next on the to do list,

1 - figure out what I am going to do about the doors. May build them or may purchase them from the supplier of our kitchen cabinets so they will match our kitchen.

2 - I have an electrical outlet in line with the tank on the wall it is butting up against. May looking at mounting a few electrical boxes in my stand and jumping the outlet from the wall.

3 - Time to start building the sump - I am really looking forward to this and will start it soon!

Jeff
Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Looking good! I have always wanted an ornate stand like that, and being a carpenter by trade I have the capabilities, but not the will power!!

I think painting the stand white was a better idea than black. I painted my stand black, and I don't like it. It's too bulky looking that way. I'm going to re-paint mine to match the walls (they are a neutral tan color), and I think that will make the stand look less obtrusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragzilla View Post
All internal joints were sealed with silicone.
If you indeed used silicone, and not a caulk you will find your paint will flake off. Paint won't stick to silicone. If that's the case, you may need to use an Exacto knife to remove the silicone and replace with a paintable caulk. I would suggest DAP brand Alex Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragzilla
1) my current tank is 75 gallonish. the one i am thinking about building is 48 x 24 x24. Being that i am building it I could very the size. Should I look at building a different size? and if so why?
What are your plans for the tank? If you are planning to keep the Sailfin Tang you probably should have considered a bigger tank with a 6' length. It also depends on what type of rockscape you like, some people like to use tanks that are square (like your 24x24), some like taller than wide, some like wider and shallower.

Quote:
2) Going to have an external overflow mounted on one end as three side will be visable. How many holes should I put in the bottom of it and what size?
I would also suggest a Herbie drain. Be sure to use a gate valve, and not a ball valve. Your tank being 120 gallons, I would think you would be looking for about 700-750 gph through the sump. If that's the case, then with that amount of flow you would be able to get away with 1" drains if you're doing a Herbie (which it sounds like you are). If you're wanting more than 900 gph through the sump you will need to use 1 1/2" drains. The return size will be determined by the pump you choose. Most pump manufacturers suggest the return piping to be double the size of the in/outlets on the pump. So if the in/outlets are 3/4" you should use 1 1/2". Having said that, my pump has 5/8" outlets, and I use a 1" return.

Quote:
3) what size of sump/ref should I build? how many sections? and what goes where ( I am a total NOOB when it comes to sumps)
It sounds like you have some ideas on sumps. Do a Google search for "Melev reef", and check out all his different sump designs. Sometimes it's handy to have some media racks in the sump too, so you can take a peek at that. I have a media rack in mine that only takes 1/3 of the sump's flow. I put a filter floss media on there instead of using a filter sock on the drain, so I can reap the benefits of both worlds (having a sock versus not).

Quote:
4) plumbing? out of the overflow what goes where?
The drains in the overflow go into the first compartment of the sump. The return line goes from the pump in the pump chamber of the sump through the bottom of the overflow (in your case) and out into the tank. Since your flow will all be at one end of the tank with the return line, I would suggest you take a look at adding a closed loop pump through the bottom of the tank with (or without) an Oceans Motions wave device. If done thoughtfully you can often eliminate powerheads in the tank for a nice clean look.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-06-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 AM

I was in the process of making my doors and thought I would stop in at the local Revy store on Southland Drive in calgary.

I picked up the perfect sized doors for my stand for $2.00 each - yes that is correct $2.00. As well I got panels fror the back side and end.

Anyone who lives in Calgary that requires cabinet doors needs to go there ASAP. They have hundreds of doors for sale at 2 to 5 bucks. I dont think they will be there for long - I was told they are going to donate whatever doesnt sell.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 PM

I got a chance to build the sump this weekend - all in all it went faily well. A few pics of the build process.

Prepping of the seams for nice joints!

Use duct tape to hold it together till it dries.

This is the stuff I used. It is the product that one of the local main tank suppliers uses for all of their tanks.

And it starts to go together. The seams will look way better once the tape comes off.

Baffles in place

Its complete!

Couple of mods - not typical.

Wahooooo - it hold water yeaaaaa

I will place it in the stand tonight and get started on the plumbing this week.

Decided this weekend that the three visable are going to be starfire glass

Last edited by Fragzilla; 01-10-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: remove misstype
Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 AM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

Looking great.... nice job on the stand!!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 AM
Trocar61

That stand is sweet, Nice job on the sump. you will have to give me some pointers...lol Great job man.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 AM

OH - its been a long time since an update.

Got my sump placed in the stand:

It went in with ease

Skimmer is a euro - reef rc135 - thanks Doug!

Phos/Carb reactors added

Pump added

Me being ANAL:

All up and running without any REAL issues

Last edited by Fragzilla; 02-07-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 AM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Attachment 5687
cool where did you get this?

Last edited by don.ald; 07-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 AM

So i put my tank and stand up for sale expecting it to take a bit for it to sell. Well the next day after listing it I sold it to a person I do work for. 2 hours later I got an email responding to the add. I told him that I sold it already sorry. Well to my surprise he offered me 75.00 more than what I was asking for it - lucky me!

A good thing/bad thing though he was coming into town the next day and wanted to pick it up. Problem for me is I had no place for my current live stock. So out I went trying to find a temp. tank till I ordered and got mine. I managed to pick up a 55 gallon tank with overflow which I needed. That night I worked till 4:00am getting my live stock out of the tank and into a new home.

I was selling only the tank and stand and was planning on keeping my light. When he showed up he made me an offer to sell everthing which I couldnt refuse.

Next problem - now I have no light, out shopping again.

I managed to get a Giesemann Infinity - LUCKY ME!

Well this past week has been soooooo busy getting this all looked after but It all turned out for the better.

I have ordered my tank and it should be here in the next week or so. 120 gallon 3 side starfire. This thing is going to look great.

Couple of shots of how I got things running for the time being.

I just love the look of this light, and the light colors is amazing!