Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

I always love these Bow Valley threads. I have dealt with Mitch for about 10 years now as a Pet Store owner. It has been a challenge to get him to honour a timeline in everyone of these deals. I have seen recycled glass in only small tanks that I ordered from BV, never in a large tank. Most of these were intended to be used for terreriums so not much water intended. Have had many large tanks including several that were in my own home and have not yet seen even one BV large tank leak. Can't say the same for all manufacturers.

Also for all those who bash BV everytime a thread like this one comes along I never read any stories about bad tanks, just bad service, and of course shower door glass in 200 gallon tanks, which we all know would be impossible to do!!!

MMAX I am sure your tank will be just fine when you add water and you will be even happier when you add up you savings by choosing BV!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

[quote=sphelps;472925]BVA is good for the money you pay, super cheap and good construction. I've never heard of a single problem despite the false info people provide about recycled glass.
Wow I think your too far away to hear the problems. I've heard plenty and BV has made a name for them selves over it. Ya don't pay any up front to Mitch. Mitch is the owner so WTF if you can't trust the owner that's not a problem. I've personally had to sit with my friend and almost force a tank build so it would actually get done. Just to mention a butt joint in the middle of a 14' long aquarium is a problem and a ugly one. Cheap yep, holds water , Worth it....Roll the dice.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

More falsehood OCD. BV is actually owned by Mitch's parents and both Mitch and his Sister work there. They were formally known as Cameron Management and had a retail pet store just off 17th Ave SE.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

Sorry your right his parents tried to retire,let mitch run it in to the ground then had to come back to save it. They do call him the boss
Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Anyone associated with an LFS is going to come to bat for Mitch. Why wouldn't they when they can sell his tanks and make a much better profit. I've seen with my own eyes massive windows with frames still on them. Maybe we aren't talking about shower doors but clearly glass is being repurposed and absolutely isn't always new. Unless they toss old beat-up wooden frames around new glass to make shipping easier.

Yeah these threads are lame. Always the same. And I always post. But I always assume that anyone who can't find the past threads (and there are many and they are easy to find) needs our help!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I've had a couple of BVA tanks and sumps over the years and never had an issue with it. I knew one guy who got his tank home and discovered a 1.5" scratch on his front starfire panel, but IMO was not that noticable; and couldn't have been if BVA didn't see it either. I realize that Mitch can be difficult to deal with over the phone, that is why I've always just gone into the shop to talk with them. He's much different in person, especially if you flash a bit of cash.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM

fishhunter8 is on a distinguished road

I have just ordered a 90g tank through them. I agree Mitch is hard to deal with on the phone (lol it could be cuz he talks a hundred miles and hour) however the tank is paid for and were just waiting for it to be delivered. It is suppose to be here on the 23rd. Mitch did give good recommendations to other store to purchase live rock from so that was nice. Also for everyone who has been to cow town in Regina, the tank that holds the alligator, Mitch built that one (or at least thats what he told me???)
I do believe were taking a chance purchasing a tank from him but sometimes taking chances works out in your favor. And for the money we paid to have a tank built to our specifications, it seems to good to be true but you never know. I'll keep you posted once the tank is here and again once we have water in it.

Riley
Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The bottom line is BVA has a good product for the price you pay, anyone that argues otherwise is likely going off internet rumors as appose to personal experience. Yes sometimes shortcuts are taken, sometimes the glass may not be 100% brand new of a truck and sometimes you have to wait but the price more than compensates for this and if you really do have sour grapes or don't approve then pay double and go with someone else.

BVA tanks are everywhere, most have then and don't even know. They build all sizes, well over 200 gallons and I've never heard or read about one leaking, this is not the case for almost every other tank manufacturer.

Also if you're really concerned about quality and warranty you're better sticking with an actual company that's been around for a while as appose to some dude that builds tanks for a few LFSs in his free time, just saying.

I'd say get a quote from a few companies and then make a decision.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The bottom line is BVA has a good product for the price you pay, anyone that argues otherwise is likely going off internet rumors as appose to personal experience. Yes sometimes shortcuts are taken, sometimes the glass may not be 100% brand new of a truck and sometimes you have to wait but the price more than compensates for this and if you really do have sour grapes or don't approve then pay double and go with someone else.

BVA tanks are everywhere, most have then and don't even know. They build all sizes, well over 200 gallons and I've never heard or read about one leaking, this is not the case for almost every other tank manufacturer.

Also if you're really concerned about quality and warranty you're better sticking with an actual company that's been around for a while as appose to some dude that builds tanks for a few LFSs in his free time, just saying.

I'd say get a quote from a few companies and then make a decision.
I think this is what the original poster is after, feedback from people with experience. I'm sure the OP is getting quotes from different places as they have another thread asking for a list of tank manufacturers.

Price is only one part of the buying experience. For some that may be all they care about, but for others (myself included), it is important to have a good purchasing experience from start to finish. So, I can buy a tank for $1000 or the same tank for $500. If I buy the tank for $500, sure I save half but then I have to harass the company to actually provide the product? Repeatedly? I have to put up with the supplier's lies about availability? I have to drive to the supplier's store repeatedly just to have a decent conversion with them about my undelivered product? I have to put up with the supplier cussing at me over the phone and hanging up on me mid sentence? So I save money to go through all that for a few weeks above and beyond the original date that the supplier promised the product would be ready for me? That may be acceptable for some people but not everyone.

I am speaking from personal experience.

K.

Last edited by kien; 12-16-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Price is only one part of the buying experience. For some that may be all they care about, but for others (myself included), it is important to have a good purchasing experience from start to finish. So, I can buy a tank for $1000 or the same tank for $500. If I buy the tank for $500, sure I save half but then I have to harass the company to actually provide the product? Repeatedly? I have to put up with the supplier's lies about availability? I have to drive to the supplier's store repeatedly just to have a decent conversion with them about my undelivered product? I have to put up with the supplier cussing at me over the phone and hanging up on me mid sentence? So I save money to go through all that for a few weeks above and beyond the original date that the supplier promised the product would be ready for me? That may be acceptable for some people but not everyone.

I am speaking from personal experience.

K.
It should be noted that not everyone has such experiences, some get tanks right away or within the quoted delivery time but some end up waiting longer. One must also realize that it's a fairly large supplier who supplies many LFSs and usually deals with large orders so your one off custom tank may not always be priority, if this is something you simply can't except then you're better off going with the one man type shows which typically only do the odd custom tank here and there so delivery isn't usually an issue with them.