Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Very nicely said, TheMikey.

For what it's worth. there are some professions for which the starting degree is important. Education, Medicine/Healthcare/Nursing, Engineering, Law, and Pharmacy come to mind. O
Yeah, Engineering aside, none of those are direct entry programs. I was interested in international relations when I got out of high school and started political science at Uni. About three years in I realized that I'd prefer to practice the law than critique it. So now I'm first year law at the U of S. I never thought our of high school that I'd pick this, but hey - that's what education does, it opens doors. Take the classes that pique your interest and see where it takes you.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Whatever path you choose, never underestimate the power of hard work. If your willing to put in the effort and work hard you can succeed in life no mater what you choose to do, whether you choose to put that effort into a secondary education or not.

Last edited by Parker; 11-24-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

You seem like the kind of person who would really enjoy University so I say go for it. But dont do it because you want to get a particular job or because you think you'll make big bucks when you're done. A bachelors degree doesnt mean a lot in this day and age and most people seem to get into careers far different from the ones they had in mind when they first went to school. Do it because you want to have the experience and because you will ultimately be better off for it.

BTW I've got a BComm and now I'm apprenticing as a Carpenter.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

There's nothing saying you can't just do a few smaller things (without a degree) and still make a good income and enjoy knowing if one ever slows down you can still run on a few cylinders.

Currently this is what I do:

1) Web/print design

2) Janitor at a church a few hours a week. My failsafe...will always have it if I want it and per hour pays me more than the rest - amazingly well. Done this since I took it as a part-time job when I was in post-secondary.

3) Shoot virtual tours for realtors

4) Hook myself.

I'm not rich. I won't ever be. But not having all your eggs in the same basket can be a good thing.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Whatever path you choose, never underestimate the power of hard work. If your willing to put in the effort and work hard you can succeed in life no mater what you choose to do, whether you choose to put that effort into a secondary education or not.

Absolutely! If you're willing to put in the time and effort you will be rewarded.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm not rich. I won't ever be.
And of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with not being rich. Most of us are not rich, and many are even less rich than that!

One lesson my parents taught me is that you actually don't need that much money to live decently in this world. In 1979 my parents, with a 3 year old and 9 month old in tow, left their home country on a rickety boat with 200 other refugees. We lived in a refugee camp for 6 months before we were fortunate enough to be sponsored by a church in Calgary. We lived in that Church's hall for a while. My dad made money cleaning the church, my mom made sandwiches for 7-11. Fast forward 30 years, my parents are still doing the same thing they did 30 years ago. They have kept with those jobs because they actually enjoyed it. Probably because they appreciated the fact that it was worlds better than the alternative (misery) that they left behind. They were able to comfortably provide for their children, buy houses, cars, food, clothes and even helped put both kids through post secondary education.

Not that anyone really cares about all that.. but the moral of that story is, you don't need lots of money to be happy and successful.

I call this photo, "The Pursuit of Happiness"

This kid (and his family) started out with nothing more than the shirts on their backs, literally.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sniff... sniff.. that's so beautiful man. I'M NOT CRYING I HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE!

Actually I think it's sawdust come to think of it. Stupid renos.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Haha. What are you up to down there Tony?

Great story Kien.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
And of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with not being rich. Most of us are not rich, and many are even less rich than that!

One lesson my parents taught me is that you actually don't need that much money to live decently in this world. In 1979 my parents, with a 3 year old and 9 month old in tow, left their home country on a rickety boat with 200 other refugees. We lived in a refugee camp for 6 months before we were fortunate enough to be sponsored by a church in Calgary. We lived in that Church's hall for a while. My dad made money cleaning the church, my mom made sandwiches for 7-11. Fast forward 30 years, my parents are still doing the same thing they did 30 years ago. They have kept with those jobs because they actually enjoyed it. Probably because they appreciated the fact that it was worlds better than the alternative (misery) that they left behind. They were able to comfortably provide for their children, buy houses, cars, food, clothes and even helped put both kids through post secondary education.

Not that anyone really cares about all that.. but the moral of that story is, you don't need lots of money to be happy and successful.

I call this photo, "The Pursuit of Happiness"

This kid (and his family) started out with nothing more than the shirts on their backs, literally.
Very nicely said and an amazing story.

My mom went through a very similar childhood with her parents, leaving her home country to come to Canada and struggle. They were not in a refugee camp though. I have learned a lot from her life.

My parents were only together until I was about 4, so I don't remember anything about them being together but they just grew apart and certainly went different directions in life. They are still friends to this day.

My mom ended up never going to school for anything but always found ways to get pretty cool jobs, stuff she loved. She teaches horseback riding now and does well. One of the happiest, easy going people you could ever meet. Just truly loves life.

My father on the other hand, went to school for god knows how long, has a crazy amount of degrees, makes more money as an executive of a huge bank in Asia than I would know what to do with and yet he broke down last time I saw him and told me how unhappy he was I think he would trade the millions in an instant to have what my mom has. He grew up in a very modest house, worked his way through school full time, struggled his way up the ladder in the banking world because he refused to sacrifice his morals and ethics (could have gotten to where he is now in half the time) but says his life has been consumed with being "successful" and being the best and making the most money and buying the nicest car, ect.

Money really doesn't make people happy...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Personally, make a list of things you like doing, your passions. Then, see what kind of career opportunities there are for you in those listed, then look into education.

Don't just pick a job cuz, I believe you have to enjoy things, otherwise were are you in a few years.... Very unhappy and looking again.

I am lucky, I do what I love, so it isn't work for me.

Good Luck!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk