View Poll Results: Fate of Bristleworm
Trap it and move it to the sump. 6 7.32%
Trap it and give it away to fellow Canreefer. 8 9.76%
Trap it and kill it. 26 31.71%
Let it be/leave it alone. 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I can't believe that this would be the same critter most of us call a "Bristle worm". If it is the thickness of a finger, I would bet that it is a Eunicid worm. As someone already mentioned, Eunicid's are very distinctive because they have 5 large tentacles surrounding their head. They also tend to look more like centipedes, while bristleworms look more like fuzzy caterpillers. (no relation either way) Eunicids are also really fast, which probably contributes to why you haven't been able to get a picture.

Also, the evidence you have on giving it a death sentence is completely circumstancial. Fish die and you don't find the bodies. If you do find a body, the creature that is currently eating it probably didn't kill it.

I've kept many Eunicid worms over the years and never seen one do anything except eat scraps and vegetation.

I voted for leave it be, until you have some real evidence that it has to go.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

Did you squash it yet?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:16 PM

bigmac is on a distinguished road

I finally have a picture! I'll post it within the next day or so.

I have had a fellow Canreefer contact me and wants to take it if I don't want it; therefore I'm pretty sure i'm opting for that option.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 AM

Here is the picture of the offending critter. Looks like Bristle worm to me (based on any pictures on the internet that I can find); however I'm no expert. Anyone else who has an opinion can chime in. Thanks!

Last edited by bigmac; 11-26-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: properly attaching photo
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

IMO, the biggest bristleworm I've ever seen! Definitely a bristleworm. Glad you found someone to take it, that makes me happy

I have a lot of critters in my tank, I've found most of them to be innocuous. The only offending ones are a pair of Aiptasia (I've witnessed one attempting to eat a peanut worm) and a few hydroids (the digitate type went away on their own).
Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
If you honestly feel so much compassion for everything including a worm you're in the wrong hobby, just saying.
Compassion for a worm? Try compassion for a purpose.

Lol. I have no problem with death of animals. I just dont see the poing in killing things because they are doing what they are meant to do. If you are going to use a live fish as a feeder for other fish, fine, its serving a purpose. I hunt. I dont go out and shoot deer just cause they are there. I do it to get outdoors, enjoy/learn about nature, and also 'collect' a foodsource for my family(We use almost everything but the head,(including bones) if we dont eat it, its dog food).

Cheers,

Chris
Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Once I trap it; I'll take some more photos and measure how long it is. I have a feeling its huge!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Compassion for a worm? Try compassion for a purpose.

Lol. I have no problem with death of animals. I just dont see the poing in killing things because they are doing what they are meant to do. If you are going to use a live fish as a feeder for other fish, fine, its serving a purpose. I hunt. I dont go out and shoot deer just cause they are there. I do it to get outdoors, enjoy/learn about nature, and also 'collect' a foodsource for my family(We use almost everything but the head,(including bones) if we dont eat it, its dog food).

Cheers,

Chris
So what do you do with pests like ants, moths or other insects or rodents that get in your home? They are only doing what is natural to them, how is this any different.

And you hunt for the sport not the food, the food is a by product and certainly not the purpose.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

A) Our House is rodent proof. Anywhere that isnt(Ex: Storage sheds), Ermines, a local member of the weasel family, keep the populations undetectable.
B) I leave bugs (which are not 'pests') alone. They dont bother me, I dont bother them. I dont have an infestation. Some will get in, no big deal. If a wasp gets in to the house, I put it back outside to pollinate our flowers.

I dont see how you consider it for the sport. We hunt FOR THE MEAT. Thats why we use everything. I already stated it was fun to get outdoors, to cruise the fields and forests, learn about nature. If you consider walking through the woods, learning about the world around you a sport, then you are on a different page than most people. I dont do it for the 'fun' of shooting a gun. That is the only sport, and that is not why we do it.
(Who are you to judge the purpose that I determine? I said it was for the meat. For the education. That is our purpose. How can you say otherwise? PLUS - are you at all familiar with slaughter houses? If you know how to shoot correctly, the death of a deer is much more humane than that of most livestock destined for a slaughter house).

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Funky_Fish14; 11-27-2009 at 11:51 PM.