Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

What about installing a dog door and having a certain area cordoned off in the house where he/she can go for warmth and water?

I've always had good luck with doggie doors.

Mitch
Old 11-08-2009, 04:21 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well, you obviously don't know much about dogs and crates then, because my dogs love their crates. They sleep in them, by their own choosing. A crate trained dog is so much easier to manage, from transport, vet care, and attending sporting events is just not possible if the dog won't sit in a crate.
Now I'll be the first to agree that many people shouldn't have companion animals (pets is such a bad term), but it's not due to crating them. My dogs participate in agility or flyball 2 - 3 times per week, go for 5-10k runs 3-5 times per week, and after all that, they love to go home for a nap in their crates.
In your defense, I used to feel the same way before I understood the benefits of crates, for both me and my dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Yes, a crate is not a substitute for interacting with your dog. But, my dogs are crated from 8-12, I'm home for lunch, then from 1-5. The few times they were not crated, I ended up with a three poster bed and a chewed lamp cord. If they're left out, they also sleep all day, so whether they sleep on my bed, or their own bed, not much of a difference. Once I get home, they spend the night training, running or wrestling with each other.
Leaving a dog out loose is a sure way for bad things to happen. I understand that some people don't agree with it, so I won't go on about it, but to label someone an irresponsible pet owner because they use a crate simply shows ingnorance.
As an example, one person I know that has a beagle, but does not believe in crates, has had the poor little guy in for surgery 4 times because the dog was unsupervised for a few moments and was allowed to swallow something it shouldn't have. I'm happy to admit I do not subject my dogs to such cruelty.

Ok, I'm done
Ok first of all you dont know me or my level of experience with dogs.... Im almost 40 years old and have had dogs in my life for thirty years.....the last ten years I finally got my head out of my butt and realized that I was not a good fit for dogs because I am not home enough.....there is a difference between going into a crate of his own accord (out of comfort due to being locked in the crate for 8 hours a day) and being confined to a crate for 8 hours a day.... would you put a cat in a crate for that length of time?....how bout a tang in a 10g?....I applaud you for your involvement with your dogs ...you do way more than the vast majority of people to exercise your dogs....I will agree with you that a dog being comfortable with a crate is a good thing for all the reasons you posted...except for one.....you said yourself that when you havnt crated your dogs they have chewed your furniture...You need to learn why a dog starts acting out to begin with....they are not bad dogs....they are not stupid....they know they arent supposed to chew/pee/bark....they act out because you are not there for 8 hours a day!....so we respond by putting them in a cage.....really responsible!...think for yourself and stop listening to everything you you read...... All a dog wants is to be with "top dog"....which is us...when we leave them home alone some dogs act out....the only way a dog knows how.....they pee on the couch or they howl all day long or they chew up your ____ (insert object here)....people really need to think about whether or not they are right for dogs rather than "is that dog right for me"
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 11-08-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Aquattro - just wondering if the dogs sleep in the kennels at night as well?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Aquattro - just wondering if the dogs sleep in the kennels at night as well?

One does, the other sleeps on my bed. The new puppy is crated at night for obvious reasons, but my male BC goes to his (open) crate on his own.

and yes, the "bed post incident" is my own fault, it was a busy week at work and they didn't get out as much as usual, hence the bored chewing.
I am certainly not condoning crates as babysitters, simply a way to keep dogs safe. I do know people that overcrate, and the dogs suffer for it, and this to me is not acceptable. Should all dog "owners" have dogs? Absolutely not. But people not familiar with crates often jump in with the cruelty factor (and I used to be one of these people, having had dogs for my entire long life).
But, having used crates for the last couple of years, I'm now a big proponent of crates (when used properly). They aren't for everyone, but they are a huge asset for me in managing 3 dogs. For the most part, my dogs can be left loose in the house for a couple of hours, but with wrestling, running around, etc, it's better to tire them out, then let them nap while I'm out.
Perhaps some of you know people that abuse crating, but within my circle of dog sport enthusiasts, we all put considerable time, effort and thought into managing our dogs and crates are used as a responsible management tool.
Of course, it's one of those topics that you can't argue to win, I'm just stating what works for me, I have healthy happy well adjusted dogs, and that's my end goal.
If something different produces the same goal for others, then by all means use it.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Met the dog today, seems alright.

What the plan is is we'll take the dog as a trial and if it doesn't work out, the owner has no problem taking him back.

As for how the dog was being kept when the owner was away, seems by their front door there's a bit of an entry-way/landing. There they placed it's bed and would have him on a lead so he could still move around but not into the rest of the house.

Am amazed though when walking him, how strong a beagle is.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I think all you need to keep the beagle happy is a dog house to lay on top of and WWI flight hat!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I think all you need to keep the beagle happy is a dog house to lay on top of and WWI flight hat!
No, beagles need a challenge....red baron maybe?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Congratulations on the addition, hope it goes great and you enjoy him.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Well that was a bust.

Plan was we would take the dog on the weekend but ends up the woman is going to keep the dog. Though my wife was ensured repeatedly before the dog came over and while it was here, she was okay giving it away, when she returned home with it, guess the woman's mother had other thoughts.

Little miffed about explaining this to my 9 year old as went through this a couple of years back with another dog (wife's Aunt family had all agreed they had no time for their dog and then came back for it a few days later). This was why my wife wanted it to be so clear before the Beagle was brought over.

No more private deals, going to the SPCA tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

Oh no that is hard, but a younger dog is probably better anyway. And it is great that you will rescue a dog hope you find the perfect match. And this way you can pick your own dog that will fit into your lifestyle/family.