Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
I find it weird that a fish store uses it exclusively with really nice results but there are these problems.
These aren't "problems" really, most salts (like 95%) need to be supplemented in some form. It depends how anal you are as well. For beginner reefers there is really no reason to use anything other than IO. For more advanced reefers who are looking to perfect every little thing in hopes of accomplishing "perfection", then one of the "designer" salts might be a wiser choice just because you would spend quite some time supplementing a salt like IO.

Personally, I don't think Reefer's Best salt is the best choice for those who are not employing the full ZEOvit system as this salt is specifically designed for this purpose with a lower alkalinity.

D-D H2Ocean seems to be the most complete and easily available salt around.

Personally, I use IO although I'm starting to dose potassium, and starting to strive more for perfection, so I am considering trying out D-D, which is quite a leap for me, as I have tried many different salts since the early 90s, and always go back to IO. IO is cheaper even after dosing it, and I have yet to notice a difference in my livestock from using different salts. If they don't care, why should I?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Aquattro; 07-01-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Yeah I would have to agree. I think IO is popular because it's cheap,
but it wasn't cheep when it became popular, it was one of the more expensive ones 8 or 9 years ago, I started using it as it was tried and true.

personally I don't want to use anything that has a Ca level over 400. it is easy to bump it up if need be but hard to remove. I wouldn't touch anything that has a Ca level of 490.. thats for sure.. way way to high..
I like IO as it just really needs a Mg bump up, once you correct the Mg the Ca settles out at around 380 to 400 which is perfect..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If they don't care, why should I?
This, ultimately, is what one needs to ask when changing anything.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

I have a very good experience with oceanic and red-sea pro! Other excellent brand is tropic marine buy where I come from it is very expensive.

The last salt I have used was the new Deltec H2O very good balanced salt!