Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

the reason is propaganda!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

What do you mean by this exactly... please expand further on your reasoning for this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
the reason is propaganda!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Groups such as Peta spreading falsehoods. Celebrities taking up cause that they know very little about. It was so funny watching Paul MacCartney and Heather Mills last year. She actually touched a baby seal which would most likely lead to it being abandoned by Mother. They talked about the cute white coats being slaughtered which does not happen. Plenty of talk about clubbing which Canada stopped doing about 10 years ago.....
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I agree with most statements about PETA... they do not want humans to have companion animals at all. They released a bunch of dogs at a dog show, which lead to missing animals and some being killed on the streets in traffic. There is a lot about PETA I abhor a great deal, but they also do get a message across at times.

I do think the Sea Shepard does great work. They patrol waters that are protected from whaling. They also spread the word that this indeed does happen. I know it is culture for the Japanese, but what do they need whales for now? These animals are almost extinct... if they are all gone, what happens to Japanese culture then? Either way it will be stopped sooner or later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Groups such as Peta spreading falsehoods. Celebrities taking up cause that they know very little about. It was so funny watching Paul MacCartney and Heather Mills last year. She actually touched a baby seal which would most likely lead to it being abandoned by Mother. They talked about the cute white coats being slaughtered which does not happen. Plenty of talk about clubbing which Canada stopped doing about 10 years ago.....
Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I agree with most statements about PETA... they do not want humans to have companion animals at all. They released a bunch of dogs at a dog show, which lead to missing animals and some being killed on the streets in traffic. There is a lot about PETA I abhor a great deal, but they also do get a message across at times.

I do think the Sea Shepard does great work. They patrol waters that are protected from whaling. They also spread the word that this indeed does happen. I know it is culture for the Japanese, but what do they need whales for now? These animals are almost extinct... if they are all gone, what happens to Japanese culture then? Either way it will be stopped sooner or later...
Sorry my2rotties I am not saying that I agree with the whaling, i am only stating that some of these organisations are a little suspecious with their info and sometimes their main purpose is financial instead of geniune. As an example, it was reported this week that the US HUmane Society raised $124 million dollars last year of which a grand total of $6 million was passed over to actual animal shelters.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:24 AM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

As an example, it was reported this week that the US HUmane Society raised $124 million dollars last year of which a grand total of $6 million was passed over to actual animal shelters.[/quote]

Although this may seem like a low total being given to shelters.....what does the report say about the wages being paid to the humane society employees, or the cost of advertising and campaining for the cause?
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Getting a little off topic...

$124 million raised?

$6 million actually going to the cause the money was raised for?

Nevermind about the wages or operating costs, fact is, if most people knew, less than 5 cents in every dollar donated, actually goes to the cause, they'd probably find another organisation to give their donations to.

Actually thinking about it ANY organisation that operates on a less than 5% "profit" should really reassess how it goes about it's business.

Back on topic...

I don't know enough about the whole thing but, seeming to have fun chasing whaling ships whilst committing illegal acts in front of TV cameras sound to me like a good waste of time & resources.

Like it or not. Vandalism & harassment are illegal. Whaling with appropriate research papers is not.

Better to find out how the hell these Whaling vessels are able to operate "legally" & try to stop it there instead.

How can they get permits to Whale in those waters under the research banner?

Why are international & Japanese/Norwegian governments not doing much to stop it?

Why is there still demand for whale products & foods in places like Japan?

Getting answers to these questions will help more than a few dozen stink bombs thrown aboard a whaling vessel.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
Better to find out how the hell these Whaling vessels are able to operate "legally" & try to stop it there instead.

How can they get permits to Whale in those waters under the research banner?

Why are international & Japanese/Norwegian governments not doing much to stop it?

Why is there still demand for whale products & foods in places like Japan?

Getting answers to these questions will help more than a few dozen stink bombs thrown aboard a whaling vessel.

Japanese are allowed to operate legally because they whale under the guise of "research" purposes. Specifically, they are supposed to be taking stomach samples from their catches. Don't ask me where to find their results, if such a thing exists. They get the permission under this guise because it's profitable and the people in charge are uneducated. It's already been mentioned that one study found that whales eat a lot. And quite frankly, they do. That said, to say that they eat more than the world's annual catch? ehhh, sounds like bad science is afoot; and by bad, I mean the same political crap that always finds its way into some scientific studies (where funding comes from can greatly influence results). Anyways, people in charge think whales are stealing all their fish (which is already a skewed perspective in the first place), so of course they'll allow whaling to continue. people are more important after all right? right?

I don't think we have any right at all to be judging japanese (or anyone else's but our own) culture. Every culture has glaring faults depending on what angle you look at it from. Not only that, you also have to realize that lots of people are against this kind of crap over there as well. Stereotypes are easy to make, so we should tread lightly around that subject.

for the record, I fully support the work vessels like the Sea Shepard and Green peace does. It's not my style and i would never participate, but there will always be a necessity for the die hard direct confrontation type activists. It's important because it's public (though controversial) and it gets the message through a lot faster than a scientific paper. As for PETA... well let me just say "sea kittens" with a raised eyebrow. 'nuff said.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:31 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road

For the record...

1 - I never judged anybody's culture.

2 - I already know that some Japanese Whaling fleets operate legally as research vessels.

3 - You questions you quoted from me were not actually posed by myself in order to seek answers, but a list of questions that those wanting to stop whaling may want to address before going the route of illegal activities such as harassment & vandalism.

I do pose one more question though... (& I'm not looking an answer.)

Who are these 'people in charge' you talk about?

It sounds like they're the ones Sea Shepherd & such like should be directing their energies towards.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sorry VFX, I didn't mean to direct any of my post towards anyone in specific. I only brought up the judgement thing because of the direction the thread seemed to be drifting towards. I only used that part of your original post to build my post off of, not to answer the somewhat rhetorical questions you posed. lol, I don't believe in rhetorical questions when I have an answer

the people in charge i referred to was the people who ultimately make the decisions whether or not to regulate fisheries. ie. government and international regulating bodies. Sea shepard serves a very specific role imo. it hits a different sector than lobbying parties (who go after the "people in charge"). Science usually targets them as well as opposed to trying to educate the public (consumers) and fishermen (producers); albeit science goes through a lot of middle men and gets a bit... muddled by the time it gets there. it's very much like a game of telephone.