Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the encouragement!
I do feel that it's really important to do your research before you buy a fish and know what you are getting yourself into and as a hobbyist I feel that it's my responsibility to do so. I know MI's are controversial fish and usually start a debate so I was hesistant to start this thread but I'm glad to hear that there are several others out there who are keeping them successfully as well and I appreciate all the advice.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

True enough but this person is an experienced reefer and has had great success with his fish. Plus this thread is not about red list fish... he is wondering if it is normal for his MI to nip at corals. Many people are hesitant to post about certain species of fish due to the controversy attached to keeping them. How do we learn from others when they do not want to post their experiences? How do we learn the actually survival rates and success rates if people do not post?

Perhaps some people are lucky, or perhaps they are doing something they do not even have a clue they are doing to keep certain species long term. I think the posts about certain species and how they are kept may just help us narrow down a missing link

Maybe fish that do nip corals are seeking certain nutrients they are not getting in prepared diets in general. I know people take coral calcium as a supplement and perhaps these fish are looking for such things in their own diets. Most animals will eat things they normally do not eat, if they are lacking key nutrients...

My Regal angel eats anything I throw into the tank at feeding time, but still will nip corals, zoas, my pipe organ and many other things I wish he would not eat. However, he is FAT and healthy so it is a small price to pay in order to keep a red list fish thriving within my display. He does not do enough damage to kill anything so far. If he does, too bad for me, sicne his health and welfare is first and foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo View Post
some fish are better left in the ocean. This fish is at the top of that list
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I am blogging my experiences with the MI. I find it needs a LOT of space to feel comfortable, and to avoid being harrased. Once it gets established, it will get quite comfortable with all the inhabitants, and even your hands in the water.

From what I noticed is that they need to be fed a lot. I can still see mine having problems gaining weight. These fish are definitely not for newbies or intermediate reefers. Why do I say that? Because to make sure it thrives, you need to do a lot more work than just to drop a couple of flakes for it to eat.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I came across your blog when I was doing some reading on the MI... very nicely done!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikk View Post
FWIW, I am blogging my experiences with the MI. I find it needs a LOT of space to feel comfortable, and to avoid being harrased. Once it gets established, it will get quite comfortable with all the inhabitants, and even your hands in the water.

From what I noticed is that they need to be fed a lot. I can still see mine having problems gaining weight. These fish are definitely not for newbies or intermediate reefers. Why do I say that? Because to make sure it thrives, you need to do a lot more work than just to drop a couple of flakes for it to eat.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikk View Post

I agree Moorish Idol are definitely not for newbies.
The problem is not just the size of tank required or the attention given to feeding by a devoted reefer.
The problem is that the feeding requirements for this species are unknown with the result that they eventually die in reefers tanks even though they are given the best of care.
If a experienced reefer, devoted to experimenting with various specialty type foods (almost a scientist) wants to keep one, go for it.
Sadly, some hobbyists though well intentioned, hope that they are the one who can successfully keep them and they too fail.
For that reason, IMO they are best left in the ocean until their feeding requirements become know through science and the efforts of experts.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Haloreef is on a distinguished road
Default MI's

Are there any "scientists" studing the feeding requirements of the Moorish Idol?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloreef View Post
Are there any "scientists" studing the feeding requirements of the Moorish Idol?
They are well aware of the interest hobbyists have in the fish and I am sure there are many doing this as well as the experts in our hobby.
Wayne
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I came across your blog when I was doing some reading on the MI... very nicely done!!!
Well, thank you. We appreciate all who read.

As for the MI, I constantly see it eat my sponge. And for that, I intend on finding more sponges to fit inside my tank. I too am growing them in the benthic zones in the sump, but they have not developed into sizable portions. Therefore, i will have to find some to buy.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Edmonton Eskimo is on a distinguished road

I think it's funny when someone considers keeping one of these for a year a success. I'm not saying every one collected dies in captivity and I don't know the exact percentage that do but I would suspect it is in the 90 plus percent. To me that is us as cocky humans thinking we run the world and taking what we wish. It's completely wrong and NONE of us should be buying these fish. To say"I bought it because it was at the store already is silly. The only reason stores keep bringing these fish in is because people buy them. I think governments need to step in and make this an illegal fish to collect and distribute. I'm not bashing any individual that buys one I'm just saying that us as supposed responsible reefkeepers need to stop purchasing these, or any fish, coral, invertebrate that has a higher than 50 percent death rate in captivity. Just my 22 cents
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo View Post
I think it's funny when someone considers keeping one of these for a year a success. I'm not saying every one collected dies in captivity and I don't know the exact percentage that do but I would suspect it is in the 90 plus percent. To me that is us as cocky humans thinking we run the world and taking what we wish. It's completely wrong and NONE of us should be buying these fish. To say"I bought it because it was at the store already is silly. The only reason stores keep bringing these fish in is because people buy them. I think governments need to step in and make this an illegal fish to collect and distribute. I'm not bashing any individual that buys one I'm just saying that us as supposed responsible reefkeepers need to stop purchasing these, or any fish, coral, invertebrate that has a higher than 50 percent death rate in captivity. Just my 22 cents
+1 with the caveat that scientists and experts should be able to bring them in on a permit basis.