Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I wouldn't use a blowtorch. The water within the live rock will turn to steam, then the rock will explode in your face.

I have a small patch of hydroids which not by coincidence is right under my feeding area. IME they grow with excess nutrients and recede when nutrient level go down.

I find the suction hose/filter sock in the sump trick while trimming the hyroids with scissors keeps them in check. I have some Aiptasia-X but I haven't tried it on my hydroids yet.
although you would have had to introduce the hydroids before they could take advantage of your excess nutrients.
They do not just come out of nowhere.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 PM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,

Depending on what type of rock they are attached to, they can be rooted very deep. I would remove the rock then chisle/bore/dig out the hydroid colony. Then I would fill the hole/gap with frag glue or epoxy in case I missed some of the root system. It's a pain in the *** but seemed to work well.

hth

Cheers
Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Frenchie is on a distinguished road

Mike, looks like im in the same boat. I found two paches of hydroids in my tank last night.

I filled a syringe with boiling water and tryed to burn them out. It seemed to help, but well see what things look like once the lights come on today.

My plan is to keep up with the "burn em out" technique and see what happens.

Let me know if you have any success.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

i have quite a few patches of thecate hydroids (i was trying to wait them out but it's getting kind of silly now). when i get a chance, Im going to try "surgical strike" burning with a soldering iron. that way i won't bleach half my rock with boiling water; i usually apply boiling water by pouring a fresh kettle onto the infected patch (i like to be thorough).
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Frenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
i have quite a few patches of thecate hydroids (i was trying to wait them out but it's getting kind of silly now). when i get a chance, Im going to try "surgical strike" burning with a soldering iron. that way i won't bleach half my rock with boiling water; i usually apply boiling water by pouring a fresh kettle onto the infected patch (i like to be thorough).
They come back after the kettle tratment?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Try one of those vibrating toothbrush things. I do it right in the water in the tank and it wipes them out pretty quickly. Problem is that you only have to miss one and it'll come right back. But then I whip out the brush o' death again.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
They come back after the kettle tratment?
oh no no. nothing comes back from that. it is very thorough. but like franklin said, if you miss one (on another rock for example) they'll recolonize. I did the kettle treatment on a few majano and aiptasia (only a few) and they haven't come back; haven't tried it on my hydroids yet since i figured my tank would outgrow them and they would get rid of themselves... im gettting impatient though.