Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Last edited by Pan; 01-11-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
WOW! Something went right today! Its working again!

I was sitting in front of the fire with it for the past hour or so and then thought I may as well keep trying...and now it works. I guess it just needed some lovin' after being soaked.

I thought it may be still a little wet and thats why I put it in front of the fire. Seemed to do the trick.

I am relieved.
you sat in front of the fire for an hour!!! shouldn't you have been checking your parameters j/k

Oh yeah i am glad your controller is working again....i want one simply because it is more convenient for certain things...looking at the RKL...but that is another story

Last edited by Pan; 01-11-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
.... Mine fell into a bucket of saltwater and is busted. ...
How does a multi-use controller fall into a bucket of saltwater? Aren't these things usually permanently mounted somewhere? Like under the stand ?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Nevermind...I should just be quiet
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

While I do happen to use my controller to monitor tank pH, I realize that this is largely unimportant. The key here is that the controller is just monitoring...not doing anything with the tank pH. It also monitors ORP, which is also meaninglessly interesting.

What I DO use the controller for is heater and pH control of my CA reactor. If not for the controller, I would be purchasing a temp controller and pH controller anyway because I can't imagine running a tank/Ca reactor without those two things. Heater thermostats are too unreliable.

Then...since the controller is there...I also use it to control dosing pumps on the CA reactor and Kalk reactors. It also controls the lighting cycle of the refugium.

Oh yes, It also text msgs me when any parameter goes beyond limits or a power failure happens. I can also make adjustments over the web to anything the controller has control over.

I couldn't run the tank without one. I learned that briefly when mine broke. Lesson learned, I now have a backup unit in case my unit fails again.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 AM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
While I do happen to use my controller to monitor tank pH, I realize that this is largely unimportant. The key here is that the controller is just monitoring...not doing anything with the tank pH. It also monitors ORP, which is also meaninglessly interesting.

What I DO use the controller for is heater and pH control of my CA reactor. If not for the controller, I would be purchasing a temp controller and pH controller anyway because I can't imagine running a tank/Ca reactor without those two things. Heater thermostats are too unreliable.

Then...since the controller is there...I also use it to control dosing pumps on the CA reactor and Kalk reactors. It also controls the lighting cycle of the refugium.

Oh yes, It also text msgs me when any parameter goes beyond limits or a power failure happens. I can also make adjustments over the web to anything the controller has control over.

I couldn't run the tank without one. I learned that briefly when mine broke. Lesson learned, I now have a backup unit in case my unit fails again.
ROFLMAO it text messages you?? does it cook dinner too? because if it does sign me up i want one I dont even have a cell phone and you bought one for your fish tank can the fish make phone calls too? maybe to let you know if their hungry, but seriously that is a real nice touch BTW who makes such a high tech gadget?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit that I was super frustrated when I posted about this. It had been a rough day so I think I was just angry at the world at that point

What I SHOULD have said was...I have used a controller for so long now that I hate the thought of going without one. Obviously I know its very possible to maintain a great, successful tank without one. I also know PH is largely unimportant to monitor in a stable system and rarely changes...mine has not changed more than .5 or so since I set up the tank but I do like to watch it each day. I like the idea that I have the monitor set up to let me know if that PH which doesn't fluctuate ever DOES. Instead of me finding out because my corals look terrible. I dose kalk in my auto top off and I have my controller set to turn OFF the ATO if the PH ever spikes too high. So all those disasters where people ATO gets stuck on and kills the tank, can be avoided with a simple controller. It saves me from having 8 different light timers in a powerbar for each of my lights. And so on and so on.

Before using one, I thought they were a waste of money but after using one, I would hate to run a tank without.

The temperature in my condo fluctuates a lot and the only way my tank stays between 79-80.5 is because my controller makes sure it does. Otherwise I have to rely on a heater that could get stuck on or fail. I don't want my fans on all the time, so the controller only turns them on when the temperature gets to 80.4, then off when it drops back to 79.1...my temperature has never gone below 79 or above 80.5. I recently set it up to dose my two part for me each day.

These are just things I don't want to have to think about all day. I like the convenience.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-11-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'm not sayin' that you watch your controller more than corals, c'mon. I'm just saying it's really easy to run a tank without all the gadgets. Everyone does things differently, I personally couldn't fathom spending money on a controller, not saying it's bad or anything, just a matter of what's important to you. You stated that you couldn't imagine not using one, so I spoke up and said it's easy not to. That's all.

One day when yer fancy smachy heater cooks yer tank, you will wish you at least had a temp. controller.

FWIW, my RK2 shows me my ph at a glance but I agree with you, big whoop-dee-do.

What I do like is the temp. controller, wave maker, feeding shut down, and a few other minor things. PH monitor is good when dosing kalk.

I guess I could just have something like a Ranco temp controller and that would be fine for me. If my fancy smanchy Ebo,s or any other heater out there, would not wander all over the place, perhaps one would not need one.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
One day when yer fancy smachy heater cooks yer tank, you will wish you at least had a temp. controller.
Yes, I realize a controller might help with this, unless the fancy schmancy controller is the piece that fails
I actually run 2 heaters, neither big enough to cook the tank should one stick on. If both stick on, it's a sign I should find a new hobby -lol
Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Yes, I realize a controller might help with this, unless the fancy schmancy controller is the piece that fails
I actually run 2 heaters, neither big enough to cook the tank should one stick on. If both stick on, it's a sign I should find a new hobby -lol

Ya, my temp probe failed a couple months after I bought it. Actually increased the temp. If I had not been home.......GONZO. So I cant argue that point with you.

Problem with my stupid Ebo,s is trying to hold a constant temp. Sometime they dont come on when temp is well below setting and then they sometimes dont shut off when its above the setting. This is on all three of mine, which are all pretty new.

I also once bought a fancy smanchy titanium heater , controller and all. Geez, that worked well, for a year. LOL.

IF THEY WOULD SELL US SOMETHING THAT WORKED CORRECT, perhaps we would not need controllers.

All that being said, my RK2 is kind of wasting its talents on my nano, and if I could find a good heater, I would likely sell it.