Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2008, 06:49 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I love Gryphon very much. He is adorable and it makes me happy I could have something I wanted since I was a kid. I never got into aquariums since I knew they were expensive. This 260g is a fortune, but it is much easier to maintain then the 55g I am finding. I see your posts of fish for sale and wish I could hop on a plane and take them carry on. I respect you a huge amount since I know you love your fish. I saw your post or your porky all puffed up and it made me laugh. I want Gryphon to love me that much too. Right now he just sits and stares out the window, but lets me touch him and I am already showing him my hands are things with rewards. He is not super hungry but did appall me with his eating habits last night. I have never seen anything quite like. We stood there staring, and just didn't speak. Then it was an outburst of laughter and I checked my weater and did a water change. He is a PIG. I need a bigger clean up crew, if he doesn't eat them all.
Man I would love to send you my dogface but I just don't know about shipping. I have never done it before.

They are messy eaters. I would look into smaller fish that will eat off the bottom for a clean up crew. He will eventually eat a lot of the crabs although hermits do ok for a while. I like damsels for a clean up crew in an aggressive tank but many people don't want them in their tanks at all. I find they eat all the little bits of food. Chromis would work maybe.

I also found my five lined cardinal only stayed at the bottom to eat. He was a great one man clean up crew!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
I think you might be in the wrong hobby?? Maybe try something with inanimate objects

Was that in reference to my pacing comments?

I have found a solution...proper sized tanks! Like I said, Untamed's tangs were not pacing in his 400G and my nano fish do not pace in my 130G. Its all relative. I just don't have a big enough tank for most tangs.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Ed my deceased Foxfaced paced the 44g he came with all the time. Then I got the 55g so he had more space. When I saw he still wanted to swim more I bought the 260g. It is such a shame he did not make it. He died three days before I stocked the tank. Ed was the most expensive pet I have ever had. I have Rottweilers and I thought they were expensive with medical issues and eating human food instead of kibble.

That tang is so big he would still have problems pacing in my tank since it is only 24" wide and it would still be hard for him to turn around. I think that fish needs a four foot cube and there are only a handful of very fotunate probably broke people whom have one. The 260g has busted every penny we have right now, and I wish I could boycott Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Pressure View Post
I am moved by your dilemma and know exactly what you mean. I only keep a 28 gallon with nano fish in it who all get along. The other half of Pier Pressure wanted to go bigger, but when I showed him those big fish in the petstores he agreed it would be a bad thing to do as we would both be bothered by the "pacing". Reminds me of a lion in a cage that is too small at the zoo, and I cannot see ever being happy watching a big fish who should have been left alone in the ocean. However, the fish would probably be better off in your big tank than being sold to a newbie who thinks he would fit good in a 55 or some other such nonsense.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM

I was really heart set on a dogfaced puffer until I saw the porky. The dogface is the one I want for a companion for Gryphon, I love them so much. I have a picture of one on my facebook. I also love the stars and stripes puffers, and if I had my way this tank would be all puffers, triggers and groupers. Any of those kinds of fish seem to have so much personality. They must be really easy to catch on a reef... My husband wants angels and tangs, but we well know that tangs need more space then we really have. I guess I just answered my own question about getting the big one from Wai's.

I saw your dogfaced puffer and wanted him so badly. I wish we could ship him, but I think it is risky. I am so broke I cannot even afford to pay attention and flying to get him is not an option. I wish I was rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Man I would love to send you my dogface but I just don't know about shipping. I have never done it before.

They are messy eaters. I would look into smaller fish that will eat off the bottom for a clean up crew. He will eventually eat a lot of the crabs although hermits do ok for a while. I like damsels for a clean up crew in an aggressive tank but many people don't want them in their tanks at all. I find they eat all the little bits of food. Chromis would work maybe.

I also found my five lined cardinal only stayed at the bottom to eat. He was a great one man clean up crew!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road
Smile

I think the way most of us deal with having our fish is that we believe that we are giving our fish the best that we are able to do, and as long as we've done the research and try as hard as we can that is all that we can do. I think your puffer needs time to get adjusted to it's new surroundings and you need to be able to enjoy your new puffer without thinking about the bad stuff. Remember this hobby is supposed to be enjoyable and even relaxing (as we all know not always the case), so I figure once I make a decision about a purchase that I have researched why not enjoy. There is always a bad side to everything, it's the good that sometimes gets overlooked. From all your concern your puffer is lucky to have someone that discerning to take care of it, now enjoy getting to know your new addition.

Quote:
Ed my deceased Foxfaced paced the 44g he came with all the time. Then I got the 55g so he had more space. When I saw he still wanted to swim more I bought the 260g. It is such a shame he did not make it. He died three days before I stocked the tank. Ed was the most expensive pet I have ever had. I have Rottweilers and I thought they were expensive with medical issues and eating human food instead of kibble.

That tang is so big he would still have problems pacing in my tank since it is only 24" wide and it would still be hard for him to turn around. I think that fish needs a four foot cube and there are only a handful of very fotunate probably broke people whom have one. The 260g has busted every penny we have right now, and I wish I could boycott Christmas.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM

You are totally right, now go tell your wife you were actually right about something today... Lately my husband has been right about many things, and I don't know quite what to do about it.

I love the puffer very much even though he is like a kid in school, staring out the window. I know he will see me as the sucker that I am, and know he needs to adjust. My calling in life is to be a "fixer", I always want everybody happy, and go through huge lengths to try to accomplish this. After Ed died on me, I am still raw. I did everything possible and still I could not save him. When bad things happen in my tank I blame myself since it is my JOB to make sure things are always perfect. I still have no clue as to what happened, and cannot learn from it which saddens me. We are supposed to learn from our losses and this will always be a mystery so I am jaded about the new fabulous tank. However I managed to move forward, and have never been a quitter. I just find it takes longer for me to brush myself off and get into the saddle again. I am older and falling on my face hurts more then it used to.

I am sad he did not make it, but now I can try to help other fish have a decent life in captivity. I just do not understand why humans must capture and possess everything. However all of us are here because we love the beauty nature has provided and want to give them the best that we can...

As for the large tang. I am not going to buy him... I don't want to bring home a fish and constantly feel he is not getting everything he needs. Our tanks are works of art and we want them to be positive and joyful. Like someone else said, buying a fish because I feel sorry for it is not the right thing to do. It is not my fault he was caught and laws are not in place to prevent large fish from being captured. To me this fish would not be a showpiece, as he would take up my entire tank and still have no room to swim.

Maybe some day a fellow reefer will need a good home for a big fish and I will help him out. I have more then enough room. Too bad greenspottedpuffer is so far away, or I would have all his fish by now. I know when it is meant to be, it will happen. I just wanted to reward my husband for all the time and money he has set forth in building this tank. I am very proud of him and his efforts.

This forum is the best and I love the people that are members. You are all a great bunch of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
I think the way most of us deal with having our fish is that we believe that we are giving our fish the best that we are able to do, and as long as we've done the research and try as hard as we can that is all that we can do. I think your puffer needs time to get adjusted to it's new surroundings and you need to be able to enjoy your new puffer without thinking about the bad stuff. Remember this hobby is supposed to be enjoyable and even relaxing (as we all know not always the case), so I figure once I make a decision about a purchase that I have researched why not enjoy. There is always a bad side to everything, it's the good that sometimes gets overlooked. From all your concern your puffer is lucky to have someone that discerning to take care of it, now enjoy getting to know your new addition.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM

You guys have all touched on great points. This hobby is selfish and anyone who says differently is blind. That doesn't mean people should stop keeping fish

I think there are just as many good points to the hobby as bad...maybe more even.

Fish are very good at adapting and they're survival instincts are amazing at times. We have to remember that as much as we like to give our fish human emotion or traits (anthropomorphism) they just do not have them. He may be looking out the window and bored in your mind but its not the same as a person being bored. He is most likely just thinking of food Well I would imagine he is still quite stressed from all the moves lately but that will pass.

The longer I have kept fish, the more I make decisions right for the FISH and not myself. Thats why I have now moved towards smaller more suitable fish for aquariums. I have actually been amazed by what I have been missing too! Wow there are so many incredible little fish out there. I am not saying I think no one should keep tangs or big fish, I certainly think its fine in the right sized tank but more people need to have the thought process you have about this tang. He does need a home but if the store is able to sell large tangs for $300 very fast, they will keep doing it. If that $300 tang sits there for a long time, as sad as that is for him, it may save other large ones as the store may not be as quick to bring in large tangs that don't sell...in theory. We all know it doesn't work that way or we would never see these tangs in stores.

I really do wish people would stop buying them and stores would make them a special order for people with 300G + tanks. Thats human nature of ryou though...we need the biggest ones we can possibly get...North American nature anyways.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM

Incidentally, I saw a 12" Sailfin in a Big Al's. Actually they must have had 3 different Sailfins over 10". Very sad to see such beautiful fish taken from the ocean.

Obviously young fish will adapt so much better to a long life in an aquarium which is why these guys are so sad to see. There is a world of difference in my mind between a 12" Sailfin that has grown up in a 200G aquarium and a 12" Sailfin that has just come from the ocean to live in a 200G. The one raised in a tank doesn't know any different. I guess thats why tank raised fishes do so well and IME are so tough.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM

I readily agree with you there. When we get young fish, they grow and thrive as captives. I have only been into this hobby for a year now (I often think of all the other cool stuff such as food and toilet paper I could buy instead of tank stuff). It is addictive but I a happy to say my addicition is fish keeping instead of substance abuse. At least I have something to show for, although last week I hit the Jamacian rum pretty hard.

I know Gryphon is an animal and probably does not think too much about a lot of things, but I do think he remembers his old life. Mind you I see he found a little cave and is happily napping in there, which makes me happy. He eats and sleeps which means he is content. When I said he looks like a bored school I was being funny. You are probably right, he was thinking of a big fat shrimp or something. At least he has something to pass his time and entertain him. When my dogs run by outside I see him perk up to see what they are doing. I like the fact that he has brains enough to have interst in our world like we have interest in theirs. I know you love puffers because they have human qualities which turn them into pets. It helps us relate to them as individuals.

I have yet to grow a large tank raised fish myself. I thought to go with a little puffer at Wai's but Gryphon was so awesome, so I will have to grow a different puffer or tang or something. My hubsand is dying for an Archilles tang, and when I learn more, I will get one for him. Wai's wants $450 for one and I have to special order it. I just am leery about that since I want to know the fish will adapt to captive life. I like to watch fish when they come into a store and stay there for a long time. Gryphon has been at the store for a few months, so I can feel safe bringing him home.

I like your choices of a clean up crew and will look into those. I really love gobies and blennies and need a few for the bottom. I have so many possibilities for fish and do want many small ones so long as they do not ge eaten. I lost my mind for the big tang for a bit since I felt sorry for him. If I got that fish I really could not have any more. I would imagine a fish of that size would put a huge bio load on my new system as well. Gryphon is a swine and he is only one fish.

Still wish you lived in Alberta, I would bring the rum over to your house and buy some of your fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Incidentally, I saw a 12" Sailfin in a Big Al's. Actually they must have had 3 different Sailfins over 10". Very sad to see such beautiful fish taken from the ocean.

Obviously young fish will adapt so much better to a long life in an aquarium which is why these guys are so sad to see. There is a world of difference in my mind between a 12" Sailfin that has grown up in a 200G aquarium and a 12" Sailfin that has just come from the ocean to live in a 200G. The one raised in a tank doesn't know any different. I guess thats why tank raised fishes do so well and IME are so tough.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 PM

And I would welcome the rum and love for my dogface to live with Gtyphon. You are certainly right about puffers becoming pets and having human qualities. They are very curious little guys and can be so much fun. In the long run he will be a very lucky fish!

Quote:
I readily agree with you there. When we get young fish, they grow and thrive as captives. I have only been into this hobby for a year now (I often think of all the other cool stuff such as food and toilet paper I could buy instead of tank stuff). It is addictive but I a happy to say my addicition is fish keeping instead of substance abuse. At least I have something to show for, although last week I hit the Jamacian rum pretty hard.

I know Gryphon is an animal and probably does not think too much about a lot of things, but I do think he remembers his old life. Mind you I see he found a little cave and is happily napping in there, which makes me happy. He eats and sleeps which means he is content. When I said he looks like a bored school I was being funny. You are probably right, he was thinking of a big fat shrimp or something. At least he has something to pass his time and entertain him. When my dogs run by outside I see him perk up to see what they are doing. I like the fact that he has brains enough to have interst in our world like we have interest in theirs. I know you love puffers because they have human qualities which turn them into pets. It helps us relate to them as individuals.

I have yet to grow a large tank raised fish myself. I thought to go with a little puffer at Wai's but Gryphon was so awesome, so I will have to grow a different puffer or tang or something. My hubsand is dying for an Archilles tang, and when I learn more, I will get one for him. Wai's wants $450 for one and I have to special order it. I just am leery about that since I want to know the fish will adapt to captive life. I like to watch fish when they come into a store and stay there for a long time. Gryphon has been at the store for a few months, so I can feel safe bringing him home.

I like your choices of a clean up crew and will look into those. I really love gobies and blennies and need a few for the bottom. I have so many possibilities for fish and do want many small ones so long as they do not ge eaten. I lost my mind for the big tang for a bit since I felt sorry for him. If I got that fish I really could not have any more. I would imagine a fish of that size would put a huge bio load on my new system as well. Gryphon is a swine and he is only one fish.

Still wish you lived in Alberta, I would bring the rum over to your house and buy some of your fish.