Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Your tank looks like it brand new. When was it set up?
Yes, nice pics for sure. Not sure but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of water movement happening in there. And is that your heater laying in the bottom? I would advise getting the top of the heater out of the water. I know many are supposedly fully submersible, but I just don't trust that with my life.

Members will be better able to advise you if you elaborate a little more on your set-up. Specifically tank size, volume, sump or sumpless, water movement etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 PM

moldrik is on a distinguished road
Default Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Ammonia level detectable? Yoiks. Sounds like your set up hasn't completely cycled yet. Could be bad news for the livestock. You might want to prepare for some water changes.
This could be me being a dolt, but the nutrafin/hagen test comes out like a clear, bright yellow color. < 0.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Not sure but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of water movement happening in there. And is that your heater laying in the bottom? I would advise getting the top of the heater out of the water. I know many are supposedly fully submersible, but I just don't trust that with my life.

Members will be better able to advise you if you elaborate a little more on your set-up. Specifically tank size, volume, sump or sumpless, water movement etc.
My tank is setup as follows:

40 Gallon, Glass
36"x18"x14" ( maybe 16" it's a 40 gallon breeder )
Sumpless
Hydor Koralia #2 ( I do agree with you, i dont find that this gives enough water flow )
Aqua C Remora ( not nano )
Hagen Filter ( 50 gal )
150 Watt Stealth Heater
My light setup is a coralife 175 Watt, 2 PC canopy
________
buy vaporizer

Last edited by moldrik; 01-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Good info. I've used mainly the API test kit for my Ammonia readings but I do have a kit by Hagen/Nutrafin too. The colour chart on the booklet for the ammonia test on my kit shows yellow/lime green as being 0 ppm. There are two charts on the booklet, one for fresh & one for salt water. The sw one has the more lime colour as 0 so you should be ok with bright yellow unless they've changed the kit. Mine was aquired used and there's no best before date on the bottles.

Apologies if I raised ammonia alarm bells for nothing. Like you already suspect, more water flow will benefit the system and you'll also want to beef up the lighting to keep your anemone healthy. Any idea wha species of anemone you have? I have a BTA for my maroon clown pair and it doesn't look anything like the one in your photo so I suspect it's a different sort. Not good with nem ids myself, other than BTAs.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Go

Yeah, I'm not sure on the type of anemone, but from what I searched around, I think it's a type of BTA. I bought the anemone from a fellow canreefer.

I will say that the fish are moving a lot more now, I think they are just a bit scared and shy. I looked at the test and yeah, I was referencing the fresh water table, not the salt water. I must have misplaced the salt water test book *sigh*

Do you know where I can find the table by any chance? Also, when I think at it, even though the liquid was "clear" it was fairly foggy/opaqy. I have a horrible time describing things.
________
herbal vaporizer

Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

just fyi but clownfish have been know to never go further than 12 inches away from there host. if you are concerned with them not swiming the lenth of the tank dont be. once they find a host they rarely venture very far away except to eat. this is what i have found with my t. purcula and what i have read.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldrik View Post
This could be me being a dolt, but the nutrafin/hagen test comes out like a clear, bright yellow color. < 0.6

My tank is setup as follows:

Hydor Koralia #2 ( I do agree with you, i dont find that this gives enough water flow )
i have one of these in a 25 g tall. 24w x 24t x not sure deep. i am setting up and once it has cycled i will be adding at least a koralia 1 to up the flow. so cant see this being enough byitself in that tank.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Go

Cool, I'll keep that in mind when deciding what to put later in my tank.

Which brings me to the point that I'm upset that I got the turbo snails, because I didn't consider the fact that they would be mowing down the feather dusters that were previously ( and growing ) in the tank

If I had my way, again, I'd buy bumblebee ones or something of a similiar size..
________
half-baked

Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldrik View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure on the type of anemone, but from what I searched around, I think it's a type of BTA. I bought the anemone from a fellow canreefer.

I will say that the fish are moving a lot more now, I think they are just a bit scared and shy. I looked at the test and yeah, I was referencing the fresh water table, not the salt water. I must have misplaced the salt water test book *sigh*

Do you know where I can find the table by any chance? Also, when I think at it, even though the liquid was "clear" it was fairly foggy/opaqy. I have a horrible time describing things.
The booklet that comes with the kit I have has both tables side by side on the back page. There's only a slight difference on the two colour charts with the freshwater version being more yellow and the sw lime green. In any case, I'd say by your description, going by the chart I have, your ammonia is low to nil.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Go

That's great to hear Mike. I'm definately happier when I saw them leaving their anemone and moving around a bit. I had a bit of a scare there.
________
Ducati Monster 695

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 AM

Good stuff, but don't take my interpretation of your colour chart as gospel. I'm speculating and I've since found that they make several different versions of the Hagen ammonia test kit. You might consider getting a new kit just to be sure. Or borrow one, or take a sample of your water to the LFS, I understand most of them will oblige you with an occasional test.