Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
Not disagreeing with low salinity tanks, Ive seen them too, but it would explain the short time before the OP's sps all died. I can almost guarantee wherever he gets his corals from, the tanks there are not kept at 1.022; most lfs keep their tanks at the same salinity most reefers target: 1.025 (give or take a bit). the rapid jump to 1.022 is enough to kill a coral imo. I also have to aske how it was measured; hydrometer? refractometer? calibrated or not for either?
Actually Justin one of the bigger places in the City I won't name his place, only for and not bashing his store. He keeps his tanks at 1.021 Doug can jump in on this one. I know all the time that I would get home and test the water I keep mine at 1.025 as most of us will ,but he will always say, after 3 of us will test of refractormeter ours are wrong and his is right. So you think lot s of LFS would do the proper thing but any thing to save a few bucks in salt.. ya Inreference to you stating the big jump in Salinity I always check the bag before addding any water in the bag I trust no one...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabandit View Post
Ok but im sure you allready know what good parameters are but here we go...
75gal single overflow,35gal sump inlet baffle and outlet baffle stuffed with lr pieces,euroreef 120,phosban,phosban with carbon,2x250mh with 2 96wpc,2 koralia 1's,nano koralia,115lbs lr,deep sand bed....thats my equip

Livestock is naso,ocelaris,green spot dragonet +cuc

Parameters are phos.0,nitrate0,nitrite0,ammonia0,cal450,ph8?it was right,temp82,sal1.022,alk10dkh and I've never tested for mag.
I can't seeing the Low ORP if he has a over flow and the water is travelling down any huge water movement the orp is going to be up some what. I can't see that the
alk is that bad lots of Reactors are pumping out 10-11 DKH out for reactors. HOw are the SPS dying in the tank are they dying from the top down or the bottom up.... so you have any nudibranches in your tank that you dont know about that are eating the SPS
Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 AM

Hairytank is on a distinguished road

The first thing that jumped out at me was the lower specific gravity, but it sounds like this would be something more devastating.

Have you tested for copper?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 AM
acanthastrea freak

I can't seeing it being copper Since he has a tank full of Softies or Is it still full of softies. And for the Record I can't see how a low salt of 1.022 would make that much of a difference, Heck I have kepted my tank at 1.022 before with no effectsd its hasd to be somthing.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

1. Please define "SPS" - can you keep digis and montis alive at least?

2. Low SG may not be the sole reason, but bumping it up a bit would not hurt.

3. Check your Mg - it's just as important as Ca and Alk

4. Increase your flow - 2x K1 and a K-nano isn't much for SPS in your sized tank.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
I can't seeing it being copper Since he has a tank full of Softies or Is it still full of softies. And for the Record I can't see how a low salt of 1.022 would make that much of a difference, Heck I have kepted my tank at 1.022 before with no effectsd its hasd to be somthing.
You're assuming 1.022 is an accurate measurement. How many times have you seen someone report a low SG like that only to find it was measured with either a hydrometer or a poorly calibrated refractometer? If it was measured with a hydrometer it could be closer to 1.019 or it could be considerably elevated. Hence the reason it's important, firstly, to find out how these parameters were tested.

But I still think the flow is way too low and I would be surprised if phosphate and nitrate weren't elevated (despite the 0 values reported from testing) given the report of hair algae growing. I'd still like to see a picture of the tank.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
acanthastrea freak

YEs I picture would be alot better to see what the tank is looking like as of now
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Could be contaminated salt....
Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

With a Ca of 450, chances Mg is okay (from a observation with low Mg, I'm unable to get my Ca up).

Source water?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road

Ok where do I start;I dont dose ka,flow also comes from sump return at some astronomical rate,they are dying bottom up,i use 2 decent hydrometers and reference both for acuracy,I cant find a mag test kit at any lfs ive checked so far but i assume its okay because my calc and ka are high?,system is approx 2 years old,i dont keep softies anymore,i have'nt seen any bugs or what not even at night and yes I aclimate properlly but i dont use any products in doing so,no I cant even keep monti ALL sps species have died

So heres what I've got from you guys so far;slowlly raise salinity,bigger koralia......?