Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital > Fauna Marin Star Fire

Old 11-14-2008, 02:55 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

And there are many that still sell lamps like this!

Fauna is NOT one of them
Old 11-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Direct response from Fauna Marin

Hi
Yes sure
it is 4 mm acrylic

FAUNA MARIN GMBH

Gottlieb-Binder-Strasse 9
71088 Holzgerlingen
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-14-2008, 04:58 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

There is a guy on ReefCentral, I believe GrimReefer is is name, who has tested various T5 units and bulbs. I have a T5 Tek-light and I was hoping to upgrade to an ATI Powermodule. If you can get your lights tested and they stack up to the Powermodule then I would be interested in getting your lights. Quite frankly for a big investment of money on an item I will keep for at least 5 years, I won't be buying without some head-to-head comparison testing.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Once launched light units will be provided to dealers for reviewing and no doubt we will off one unit up to the canadian market and the USA market for public review also

Please dont all start putting your names in the hat as we are a bit off that point at the moment
Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Can you give me a rough timeline? Originally it was posted that they would be released in January. I know Fauna Marin has had some issues with delayed releases in the past.

As far as GrimReefer's "testing" goes I'd forget it. If you look back on the history of the "testing" done by Hahn and Grim on RC you'll see that they've made so many mistakes that it's impossible to draw any conclusions from their results. For instance, Grim recently found that he wasn't properly handling the T5 lamps correctly and providing sufficient settling and burn-in time when testing the lamps. Prior to that he reported that ATI lamps had "the best" PAR. Now he's having to re-evaluate things. Additionally, he and Hahnmeister incorrectly assumed that T5 lamps required cooling along the length of the lamp. Now they (and we) know that there's a cold spot that needs cooling and nothing else. They also thought that keeping things as cool as possible was the best idea - now they know that overcooling the lamp drops its output.

That's why I laugh when hobbyists perform "tests" of things. Unfortunately those "tests" lack adequate control and often lack sufficient validity. To this point the only test results I'm at all interested in seeing are those by Sanjay if he ever publishes them.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 PM

This is why testing will not be done initially by hobbyists but instead dealers that carry more than one type of fixture

The tubes fitted will be of course Fauna Marin Aqua Science or theyre new generation if ordered with tubes, standard will be minus tubes

Dates, they are already in the process of manufacture, and any delay will be due to santa, but I am working hard to get round that one.

First batch will be as follows

24w 4 tube
39w 6 tube
54w 8 tube
80w 10 tube

Dimmable yet to be assigned as we are still testing ballasts.

Dimmable will launch after standard

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 11-14-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 PM

So how long am I likely to have to wait for a 6 or 8 lamp 24" fixture? If it's going to be after January I'm going to have to look at other options.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM

As I said before we anticipate lamps to be launched in january, and as i also said before if you give me your requirements I can fast track this for you to see if I can get it here sooner.

The order will be taken through progressive reef being your closest stockist.

ALL dealers of ours will carry these and we have massive interest in new dealers also.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 11-14-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
As I said before we anticipate lamps to be launched in january, and as i also said before if you give me your requirements I can fast track this for you to see if I can get it here sooner.

So lamps will be launched in January but that doesn't tell me when the fixtures will be released. On ReefCentral I said I'd like a 6 lamp 24" fixture, so I'll say the same thing here. But if I can get a quote on a 8 lamp I'd also be interested in that (depending on whether or not there's a difference in time for production or if the cost is prohibitive).

Thanks.