Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

and you have to be careful about flashing your lights to vehicles with their high beams on, don't you know it's potential gang bangers looking for someone to kill for their initiation
Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

Don't believe everything you hear.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap View Post
Its funny how those are illegal 'aftermarket'...but my Audi had the same lights factory. Most BMW's, New Hondas, New Acuras, New Toyotas, Lexus, Mercedes and so many more come factory and are obviously legal. As long as they arnt staight blue you should have no problem with the police. They really should have better things to do.
The factory HID lights are much better than almost any aftermarket system you will find. The big difference is that the lens and reflector are properly designed to direct and control the light pattern. Its not just all about making more candle power. Conventional headlights with HID conversions will have a much less defined beam pattern and thus are more likely to blind and irritate oncoming drivers. Our car has factory HIDs and it is amazing to see how well defined the light cutoff is. There is a very distinct line which the light does not illuminate above when on low beams. Never had anyone flash us. The other feature is that the factory HIDs have a automatic leveling device in them to correctly aim the light every time it comes on. This accounts for vehicle loading and ensures the lights are not shining up too high. So unless you purchase one of the kits that replaces the entire headlight assembly, you will get brighter lights, but you will most certainly be irritating oncoming traffic with the uncontrolled light, thus the reason these systems are not legal for use on public roads.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Self-leveling .. wow, neat.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

oh man alive. I hate trucks with aftermarket bulbs of any sort. why because with my car lowered if the truck is aligned perfectly behind me i headlight shines in one mirror, the other into the other and they both blind me with my rear view.

Now when it comes to cops harrassing you, really they will only be a douchebag if you are being one. I drive the speedlimit 90% of the time and haven't been bugged for anything (knock on wood). See alof of people don't know how HID's work. you need a projector headlight (you know looks like a round glass ball) because when the light hits it, it creates a cut off. without it you get scattered light which blinds any on coming traffic. with prices dropping in the past 2 years (kits used to be like $500 and now you can find one for $120) alot of people have them. and most are impropperly installed. than again there are always the guys who have the leveling adjustment (oem) and raise their headlights. lol i can keep complaining cause i have headacks from people driving at light behind me.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

Don't believe everything you hear.

no sh*t, didn't think I needed to put the wink on my post for this one.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Sorry Mark. Some people really do believe it though so thought I'd put the link up anyhow. I love snopes - people who have a tendency to believe stuff in their inbox should routinely check it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Think the people who believe that one wouldn't use snopes as probably to paranoid to use the internet.

I will admit though, the girl who caught the foul at the baseball game had me wondering.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I doubled checked that my lights were aimed right (several times in fact and also had the dealership double check the aiming). I ended up lowering them anyhow, I couldn't live with this happening EVERY bloody time I had to drive out at night.
Headlight aiming was an issue with some X-Terras from the factory as well, I had to take mine back to the dealer twice with regular headlights and have them lowered. Was a real pain driving on the highway at night even worse with a trailer. I see the Morano has a inside headlight adjustment for towing which would be sweet.
I'd like to put in a kit but I still get flashed occasionally now. Maybe a light bar for the roof? Might as well make getting flashed worth it.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road

Wow
Hit a good subject

Other than say silverstars from you know were.
what others are desent( brand) for just everyday type driving without HID conversion
do they really give distance or is the reflector have to be upgraded

I have seen phillips etc but whose better
consumer reports said none are great for distance so buyer beware
that's why I post this thread to get the honest answers

thanks so far though for the results