Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 04-21-2003, 09:14 PM

Trevor Robertson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Trevor Robertson

)Well I was not going to dive into this one at all but I have to say a few things.

We all keep fish because we think they are cool. I hope that we also care enough about the enviroment that we do things like buying from reputable LFS and getting as many frags as we can and enjoy watching them grow and make our tank look great. Doing a little reading about any live creature is important and should be done for everything be it fish or not (my wife is pregnant right now, and you think fish are expensive!).

All I am tring to say here is that enjoy the hobby try to make it fun for you and others and learn a bit on the way.

Now just to make sure that I am not going off topic I did keep a manderin with very little live rock (30lbs in a 135gal tank) and it did very well and got very fat.

Everyone have a great DAY (PS I am also very slow at work and did not like the out come of the oilers game oh crap I am in the Calgary forum...well mabie the flames will make it next year )
Old 04-21-2003, 09:38 PM

Pete is on a distinguished road

is that a hard fish to keep i had one a while back it was really heathy, and one day it was dead and i tested the water and it was prefect. not to sure why it died.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Pete, yes, they can be difficult to keep due to food requirements. I think the beginning of this thread mentions that.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:44 PM

kgb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kgb

hey guys thanks for all the replys i am just sitting down now to read em but i see tons so thanks
also i dont think they will return it
Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

well the general consensus here seems to be that it has a good chance. tell your friend to review their options and take the course they see as most fitting. just watch to ensure that it stays fat. when they're staving they look like you would expect an anorexic fish to look, you can see their bones and such. go down to pisces, they have a few case-in-point mandarins. good luck to them!

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-21-2003, 10:07 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
teevee, by the statement "but it is the responsibility of human beings to take care of the creatures we share the planet with, not to abuse them", I expect you'll be selling your tank? Keeping ANY fish in a glass box, regardless of size, is abusing that animal....period.
I too have some free time, and enjoy a good discussion. So I will jump in by saying that you are applying human values to an animal with the brain size of a pencil eraser. Therefore the term "Happy" is misplaced. My feeling is that fish live their lives by instinct, and if the animal is well fed, and placed in half decent surroundings its comfort level is satisfied. As we are unable to talk to the animal, we can only look at behaviour to determine if indeed it is "happy". I would be so bold as to say that the size of the glass box we keep it in is of very little concern to most fish (except Tangs, which even I will not try to keep in a tank less than four feet)

All this in my mind was verified by a 10" French Angel, which lived in the large display tank at Pisces. One day that tank broke, and that fish survived. They put him into a 72 gallon tank, where he spent the next year. The fish looked quite comfortable in that small tank. When the big tank was repaired the angel was put back in. To this day he still looks "happy"

As I said this is all very subjective as the objects of this discussion can't tell us anything.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-21-2003, 10:40 PM

i am in agreeance, except perhaps in the case of the larger fish, especially puffers and triggers, who to me seem extremely intelligent. my main concern here is not the comfort of the animal as much as it is the survival of the animal. the idea is to reduce losses in captivity, and thereby reduce captures from the wild. but of course you are correct in saying that we cannot know how the fish feel. however developmental psychologists will confirm that behaviour is influenced by environment, and therefore we can make deductions based on the actions of the animals. in the psychological sense, one could almost define dying as a behaviour (in the same way that a plant growing is classed as behaviour). we can assume therefore that dying prematurely says something about the environment the lifeform was contained in.

dear god, someone please help us.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-21-2003, 10:57 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Again you are partially correct, but to go into this deeper would defeat the whole purpose of the thread. Therefore I will leave it be until a more propitious moment.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-21-2003, 11:00 PM

come on bob, you obviously know something about the philosophy of ethics. let us in on it! maybe a lounge topic?

Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
i am in agreeance...
"You keep saying that word - I don't think it means what you think it means."