Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Monti-Man is on a distinguished road

Essentially yes;(

Your main tank is now infected and every fish you get from now on may or may not get infected. But essentially you will always have ick in your tank. Lots of people have managed to get there fish healthy enough to fight it off (including myself)but then in all honesty it is still in the tank and can rear its ugly head when you least expect it and wipe out an entire tank of fish.
So in a perfect world i would get them out and even set up a cheap hospital tank.
All you need is a rubbermaid container,filter and something for flow. Then keep some prime on hand as you have no filter that is seeded. And then do small daily water changes.Keep them in there for 6 weeks in hypo as that is more mellow than copper.
Just do a google search on hypo. Leave your tank empty for the same amout of time and the ick dies off without a host.

In the end you will probably be much happier and then just quarintine all new fish and you will never deal with ick again
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM

ShrimSkin is on a distinguished road

Dude you're not screwed you need to relax. You need to do some serious reading, ICH is pretty much in everyones tank, different conditiions lead to a fish getting infected.

If you really want to understand what's going on you need to do some research and you will find everything you need.

Just search this site and google for marine ich. It is a very well documented aquarium disease.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimSkin View Post
ICH is pretty much in everyones tank, different conditiions lead to a fish getting infected.
That statement is very inacurate!
You can be completely ich free if you don't introduce it again. By leaving the tank fallow for 8 weeks you will have an ich free tank. Then by QTing all the fish that come in you will be sure nver to have it again.
Ich needs fish to live and reproduce with out them they will just die out.
I've heard some people say that they got an ich outbreak in thier tank cuz the temp went up or down drastically due to equipment failure but that's only because the ich was already there to begin with...

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Hangfire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimSkin View Post
. . .you need to relax . . .
Yeah, that's probably true

For those asking about water quality here it is:

Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2-5 (I find this one hard to read - it's not 0, but it's not higher than 5)
Phosphate: ~0.22

I've done some reading on Ich (thanks WhoPoopWrasse) and it appears to be beatable - I just have a crap load of work ahead of me. I'll try and get some pics of the fish today and let you guys and gals see if I really do have Ich or not. The one that rubbed that one time hasn't done so since, and as ShrimSkin pointed out I may have over reacted just a tad

As always, thanks for the help.

Baby-stepping my way into the hobby
Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoPoopWrasse View Post
That statement is very inacurate!
You can be completely ich free if you don't introduce it again. By leaving the tank fallow for 8 weeks you will have an ich free tank. Then by QTing all the fish that come in you will be sure nver to have it again.
Ich needs fish to live and reproduce with out them they will just die out.
I've heard some people say that they got an ich outbreak in thier tank cuz the temp went up or down drastically due to equipment failure but that's only because the ich was already there to begin with...

This is true, I think I said pretty much every tank, so I realize you could have an ICH free tank.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 AM

Hangfire is on a distinguished road

I'd just like to thank everyone that replied. The fish are eating aggressively now. Everything from the cyclopeeze (thanks for the suggestion ShrimSkin) brine shrimp to mysis shrimp. Also, thanks to fishtime for suggesting the garlic extract. I picked up a bottle at Ocean Aquatics and it's worked wonders. I also believe that they are completely healthy. Both are very active, have good colour, and appear quite happy. They appear to have found a nice little hollow in one of the live rocks and have been cleaning it daily. Thanks again for the help.

Baby-stepping my way into the hobby
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 AM

Sweet!