Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well ,we've had those laws in place in Victoria forever, and nobody has died from them yet. Also, I think the democratic process is a choice of the majority, which in this case are non smokers, hence, democracy working as designed. We also have laws that dictate that you can't drink in a public place, nobody arguing about that. We also have a new one about urinating in public...just awful that we can't choose where to pee, isn't it?
Amen. Although the urinating one has been around as long as I remember (in BC anyway).

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:19 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with the restrictions on where you can smoke, but still think it's totally hilarious the Gov't will ban my Nalgene bottle because of BPA since it's better to err on the side of caution but go ahead and smoke just don't do it over there.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 AM

CLINT is on a distinguished road

Well slick if you think at all that smoking is justified your WRONG.I think a smoker should have to hide and keep there problems to themselves.I smoked for 11 years and am happy I found a way to quit in the form of 2 great kids.They dont need to die for someone to make money.Cigarettes are of no benifit to anyone but the guy who sells them.I watched most of my family die from cancer and dont think they enjoyed there last few days.I can only say that the pain they felt only made them wish they were DEAD.I can only hope that I dont have problems from my wrong choices and the the people who enjoy smoking can die FAST so that it doesnt hurt so much watching them die slowly.I hope they make cigarettes illegal so they save some lives because its not fair sending lambs to a SLAUGHTER.Clint
Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Take up chewing tobacco and spit on the office floor...get a little jaron your desk spit it to it...maybe then they will let you smoke. I think they should let people smoke within ten feet, nothing more hilarious then people to weak willed to quit smoking huddling outside in minus 40 weather.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating smoking. I smoked for 10 or 11 years as well, and will be celebrating my 2nd smoke free anniversary in about 2 weeks here. I couldn't be happier to be rid of those things and find the smell of them quite offensive nowadays.

I'm in complete agreement with the workplace, restauraunt, all around indoor bans on smoking as it subjects lots of people to second-hand smoke who can't get away from it. My point was that once you get out of the confined spaces of an indoor environment second hand smoke becomes a lesser issue when compared to other inhalants such as smog, vehicle exhaust, pesticide application, etc. You pretty much have to be sitting directly in front of someone exhaling cigarette smoke for it to be a genuine health concern.

Yes it smells bad, yes most people find it offensive but is outdoor smoking a genuine health concern to Non-Smokers? If the answer is no, then the government is legislating out of a desire to play to peoples emotions rather then to make an actual difference. I don't try to push a ban on loud rap music, or really loud motorcycles because while I find them both in poor taste I realize that it's my taste and it really doesn't hurt me to tolerate them. Likewise, I don't expect people to curtail my listening to George Strait or complaining that my horses poop too much even if I ride them through the drive through!! I think that OUTDOOR smoking falls into this gray area and legislating annoyances is a bad road to start going down.

For the record, I think the ban on public drinking is crap as well. Public intoxication yes, drinking no.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

ahhh, one word....champix

Myself and three family members quit...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating smoking. I smoked for 10 or 11 years as well, and will be celebrating my 2nd smoke free anniversary in about 2 weeks here. I couldn't be happier to be rid of those things and find the smell of them quite offensive nowadays.

I'm in complete agreement with the workplace, restauraunt, all around indoor bans on smoking as it subjects lots of people to second-hand smoke who can't get away from it. My point was that once you get out of the confined spaces of an indoor environment second hand smoke becomes a lesser issue when compared to other inhalants such as smog, vehicle exhaust, pesticide application, etc. You pretty much have to be sitting directly in front of someone exhaling cigarette smoke for it to be a genuine health concern.

Yes it smells bad, yes most people find it offensive but is outdoor smoking a genuine health concern to Non-Smokers? If the answer is no, then the government is legislating out of a desire to play to peoples emotions rather then to make an actual difference. I don't try to push a ban on loud rap music, or really loud motorcycles because while I find them both in poor taste I realize that it's my taste and it really doesn't hurt me to tolerate them. Likewise, I don't expect people to curtail my listening to George Strait or complaining that my horses poop too much even if I ride them through the drive through!! I think that OUTDOOR smoking falls into this gray area and legislating annoyances is a bad road to start going down.

For the record, I think the ban on public drinking is crap as well. Public intoxication yes, drinking no.
I find george strait makes my horse poop too.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post

Deb Congratulations, it's tough the first year but after that it's all good. You will feel better and SMELL WAY BETTER. I quit in 1986 but now I am very sensitive to smoke and even being around someone who recently had one gives me a headache, stuffy nose and often sinus infections. I had an accident in the early 90's that made me hyper-sensitive to many chemicals and smoke is a really bad one for me. I love the new anti-smoking laws, it's about time. I don't like having to hold my breath as I go in & out of a doorway because people are smoking right there.

Greg
Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post

I just quit cold turkey! I didn't know about this Champix.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've got a buddy on Champix right now, he's not smoking anymore but says the dreams the drug gives him are pretty far out there, I just used the patch