Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-13-2003, 03:52 AM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Didnt mean to scare yall, it was mentioned as a precaution not the law.

I just had and argument against the dumping of it in the aqaurium unwashed for the means of keeping silt.
Silt will build up in your aqaurium in time wether it is wanted or not, it doesnt matter if you have a nice sandbed if the rest of your tank is dead...

I dont mean to come down on anyone who has chosen to dump it in, i dont care really,just thought id try and save someone a potential headache.
It just seems funny to me how many take so much time and effort to set up a new reef and spend piles of cash and not take one little extra step.

Jayson, I did not advise nor intend to scare people against the use of your sand....just wash sand in general, including any packaged for the enthusiasts.
Quite the opposite actually...i just purchased 7 bags of your sand 2 months ago myself.

But in all fairness Southdown comes from the same places as all of our sands...it is aragonite based and one and the same, it doesnt matter wich island.

Unless the original excavation was made especially with the aquatic industry in mind it would be transported and stored similarly.

Good luck,
Old 03-13-2003, 04:13 AM

Jayson is on a distinguished road

The sand was aquired for aquarium use a cared for acordingly. they used stainless steel equipment for the transport. Thanks
Old 03-13-2003, 04:20 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson
The sand was aquired for aquarium use a cared for acordingly. they used stainless steel equipment for the transport. Thanks
I thought it involed something like that. Thanks Jayson.
Maybe that's why SD is so cheep (but of course you can't find it anyway) they just dump it in a dump truck and don't worry about the transit process because it's going to be used in sand boxes not aquariums.

cheers
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

LOL,

Ok, dont wash your sand, hopefully all works out fine.

FWIW, In the past few years ive cured both sand and rock for various purposes,and the latter in thousands of pounds.

In the rock and sand batches i have found contaminants that would scare you into washing your sand and inspecting your rock.

I have ran a magnet thru various batches of sand and found...wouldnt ya guess ?...large metal shavings..hmm,just the kind that you would find from an excavator of sorts....and guess what ? it all had fancy aqaurium packaging.

In rock i have found aluminum cans and bottle caps imbeded in the rock that would have had to have been there for many years....i still have the coralline encrusted pieces of some(the ones that i could remove from the strainer in my pump :shock: )

I wasnt speaking from my arse.

It doesnt mean anyone in paticular is guilty.... they all are!
It just means do what you can to keep it out of your tank.

Again,Choose as you see fit.