Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Doug
I agree with Tony. I think there are many ways to have an amazing tank. So far I haven't found one that works for me. I was seeing some improvement with the Reef-resh and felt the ZEOvit system was much more established and also used Zeolith.

andestang
I did get the K-balance (strong) as well. I was told that potassium is usually depleted in most systems. I started using it for 2 days, but then decided to wait as I didn't want to change too many variables at once. ZEOvit also makes a potassium test kit, but they were not in stock last week. Once they are available, I will test my K+ and dose accordingly. I am nervous about dosing K without knowing the levels in the aquarium. Does anyone else dose any of the multiple additives available?
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

i'd have to say i'm quite pleased with zeovit so far. I've been running it for 2 weeks and some of the algae waves i've had in new tanks just haven't happened. The tank's been running for 2 weeks now with 50% new rock. Here are some nitrate tests that are pretty damned interesting:

24g sumpless tank. aqua-c remora skimmer, DIY zeo-reactor, aquaclear HOB for carbon.
Nov 16: started zeovit
Nov 19: 5ppm Nitrate, 10% water change. Theoretical nitrate now 4.5ppm
Nov 21: 2.5ppm nitrate
Nov 30: 10% water change
Dec 3: undetectable nitrate (salifert kit)

FAST results I tell you . It's a low-nutrient tank in only 2 weeks. Crazy...

my only complaint is my own DIY reactor. I didn't break up the zeolyte media at all when I put it in my reactor made of 1.5" pipe. There are some large chunks that make washing the media a *****. When I change the media on the 7th I'm going to break the larger (1.5") pieces in half so they fit better in my tiny reactor.

Oh and the recommendations to run the carbon "passive" wasn't cutting it for my system. I had my carbon in a bag just sitting on the liverock and i had huge microbubble problems and never had skimmate from the skimmer. put an AC30 on the back of the tank and threw the tiny carbon bag inside and the next morning I started getting skimmate. I don't think it'll be an issue because the size of the media bag inside the filter is so small there's enough bypass to ensure the carbon's not being assaulted with flow but there's enough flow through it to ensure it's working. I knead the carbon daily as part of the dosing routine.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 AM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Any update on this Shane? I am thinking about start Zeo and wanted to know how yous is coming along. I have approx the same size tank.

Keith
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see the results too. I've been running zeo now for just a week but have already realized major improvements mainly in water clarity and the reducion of film algae.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

In one week? Wow, that settles it, I'm setting my reactor up tonight.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Go for it Tony I tell you the results really are amazing. Before I started I would come home to a solid film of grean algae that I would have to scrub off daily, now a week and 2 days into zeo there is nothing, just a few litte spots here and there. My water has also gone from having a yellow colour to it, to being white and clear.

I actually just moved some of my new SPS pieces down in the tank becuase they were starting to burn becuase the light is penetrating deeper in the tank.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

For better or for worse, I got the reactor set up and running last night. Was a bit dicey getting my sump cleaned up and ready for a reactor (the main reason I'd been holding off .. I hadn't cleaned out my sump in a while ).

Quick question (for anyone reading this), the top 1" of media in my reactor is above the waterline when the pump is off (I'm doing the 3-on/3-off thing). Think that's a problem? Or should I just switch it to 24/7 and have it cranked back? I have it cranked back to about 1/2 flowrate already.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Hey Tony, Yes having the rock exposed to air during the off times will render the rock ineffective. I would think that at 1/2 flow now you could run it 24/7. or cut it back alittle more just in case.

J
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks J
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 PM

I had the same problem when I set my reactor up, because of the water level in my sump there was an inch or two of the rock exposed to air when the pump was off (I had it 3hours on 3 hours off) What I did was decide to trottle it back a bit and run it 24/7. The pump on my rector is rated at 200gph and zeo says max 100GPH so I moved the ball valve to the 50% position and then turned the valve to about 50% of that.. just really a trickle going through right now but the results speak for themselves.

I've been dosing .5ml zeostart in the morning and night and 4 drops of zeofood7 and zeobak in the sump beside the reactor pump at night. I clean the zeolites with 15 strokes morning and night. I am also dosing 4 drops of sponge power and amino acid direct in the display ever night and I'm dosing 2ml of coral snow in the display every second morning (it makes the water cloudy for about two hours so I decided to do it in the monring before I go to work so it is clear when I get home)

I'm no expert on zeo at all but it you have any questions on the dosing let me know