Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and I like the "herbie" !
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 AM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

basically if you want your skimmer to run inline you need to have it above your sump, so that the water can fall back into the sump. A quiet way to do this would be to have it fall against a side of the sump or, down a sheet of glass. Or for a slick set up would be to have it plumbed into your rubbermaid sumps, making sure that the waterline in your sump is at the same level that you want your skimmer waterline to be. Basically since the skimmer is an 'open system' you cant have the skimmer sitting in the bottom of your cabinet and pump water up and over your sump, as it will cause the water in your skimmer to be too high, so you can raise up your skimmer, or lower your return into the sump.

So yes your skimmer can be run inline, but not in the same way that a pump could be.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 AM

Thanks, that helps alot. I kind of knew the return from the skimmer had to be above the water level in the sump but I was not sure. Only other question, is where and how would I put it "in line"?

As for the overflow, I think I will try the herbie style because I like the simplicity and the silence that most people seem to get. I will have to plumb my return over the back of the tank instead of back through the overflow (because you need both drains for the herbie method) but thats ok. I will use a Gate valve to restrict the flow instead of a ball valve. Anyways, I think its a great idea! I am though still wondering about what return pump to use for this method.

I had originally planned on using a Dart for the return but that may just be too much anyways. The drain is 2" (I forget how much GPH that is), so Im sure it could handle a Dart but maybe something smaller would be better? What do you guys think? I prefer an external pump for sure though. Oh I just realized that Darts can be throttled back too...Maybe thats the best idea then.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

If you want your skimmer pump to be fed from the overflow pipe, your overflow GPH, and thus your return pump GPH must be higher than the mak 4 GPH (which is ~1100GPH). The excess water from the overflow would be tee-d off into the first chamber of your sump.

If you just want to have the skimmer fed from the sump, all you need to do is drill 2 holes in the sump. one for the skimmer pump and the other for the skimmmer drain.

Are you going to have a refugium?

Make a sketch of your plan in ms paint and we can work from there.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks Spoot! No I do not want it fed from my overflow pipe. I just want it plumbed into one of the rubbermaids. Or I may plumb it between the first rubbermaid and the second which is the refugium. The refugium will be the bigger container. The first one is just for the overflow return and stuff like heaters. Although I may just end up using two containers the same size and then putting the skimmer IN the first one. Not sure yet.

I will draw up a few of the different plans and post them soon.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM

1st rough drawing of plans...Pick it apart!!!

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 PM

What size pump would you guys recommend for this? Do you think the Dart would be good or should I just go smaller?

Oh and the return is going to end up being over the back. For the "herbie" style overflow I need both bulkheads in the overflow box because one is used as an emergency drain.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
What size pump would you guys recommend for this? Do you think the Dart would be good or should I just go smaller?

Oh and the return is going to end up being over the back. For the "herbie" style overflow I need both bulkheads in the overflow box because one is used as an emergency drain.
Your plans for this tank is FOWLR correct? Have you selected a pump for the CL?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

It looks like you've planned some sort of strainer over the intake of the primary Herbie drain. That will cause you minor irritation because as it blocks up with stuff, you'll be constantly adjusting the gate valve to compensate for the change in flow caused by the strainer.

You can try it and find out. Easy to remove it later.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-23-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Your plans for this tank is FOWLR correct? Have you selected a pump for the CL?

I think going to use a Sequence Dart most likely for the closed loop, which means I may go with something smaller for the return, just to have less flow through the sump. Does that make sense? The Dart closed loop should give the tank enough flow I think...