Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

32, wow, I'd find that unbearable.

Darryl, that switch is probably a booster fan. I have one as well (although mine isn't interlocked to the bathroom fans). It will likely help with some air turnover. At any rate, it couldn't hurt. I don't know how much power those things draw so that might be something to check into before having it on for long periods of time.

Catherine, I was really skeptical at first that the HRV would solve my wet windows but boy, did it ever fix that problem. I think I only had a tiny, tiny bit of ice buildup on my front door windows (which face north) when it hit -40 last winter for a couple days. Otherwise, my windows were more dry than other houses I visited that don't even have aquariums. The only exception was when I pulled the blinds down, they seemed to trap air in behind so overnight there would be some condensation. But otherwise it really did put a stop to having to wipe down the windows.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:06 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

...yeah my tenants were...um I think the word is "special".

I've tried the dehumidifyer, and it couldn't keep up, and required constant emptying. I think the HRV is the right way for me to go, but I still need to read up and learn more about them. I'm hoping to do a rather large system, 600+g so I need to make sure it will not only meet my needs, but won't require constant servicing.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Here's some light reading -

http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residenti...rks.cfm?attr=4

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/1275121.html

http://healthandenergy.com/heat_reco...entilators.htm

I have a "Lifebreath" brand model (forget the exact model # offhand), there's some info on their site as well: http://www.lifebreath.com/
Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubReef View Post
I wonder if my house has some sort of venting system built in. It's approx 3yrs old. I have a switch on my main floor that says "ventilation control" and whenever it's on, the bathroom fans turn on 24/7. Is this something similar to a HRV? I don't see an HRV unit in the basement though...
Thats sounds like a central exaust system of some kind or just a humidistat that turns on the bathroom fan. It does exaust stale humid air. My new mobile has a similar system. It even turns on the furnace fan and circulates air when the main control is engaged. I assume replacement air comes in via the fresh air vent to the furnace?

However, the problem with that system, is it exausts heat and replaces it with cold air. The HRV, helps with this problem somewhat, by passing the incoming and exaust airs through a central core.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

TheReefGuy is on a distinguished road

I had a hummidity with my 50g reef only tank dident do much exept top off.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 PM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

Well it sounds like an HRV unit is the way to go and I will be getting one of those installed.

This hobby is expensive

thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 AM

Mik_101 is on a distinguished road

What are the chances of having a humidity problom?
- Green candy cane
- green zoas
- GSP
- Fake percula clown
- Diadem dottyback
adding a 70w MH with 8 LED
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

I would love an HRV one day...

But i now have a little over 1000g of water and 2300w of halide in a small room and no humidity problems at all.
Even with some evaporative cooling in the summer.

That being said, i do turn over a huge amount of air in the room its in.
There is an 8" elicant inline on a dehumidistat, but i run it full time for the air movement.
Also pulling from the canopy is a 4" fantech inline fan and also vented outside.
There are 2-5" fresh air intake vents in the same room.

If good inlines are used there is next to no sound...both of these fans in unison still arent as loud as my bathroom fan.

I would guess a total of 1000 cfm is moving in the room at any given time in the summer, in the winter canopy heat is directed back into the room for heat recovery and then i rely soley on the dehumidistat for humidity removal.

I Agree with Doug, it is 100% dependant on your climate...but i think our average BC climate is ok for this scenario.

Marc.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

I probably should mention a downfall ive noticed.

The pull is so great in the room, (probably should have gone with 8-10" fresh air intakes) that it will pull through wall switches and plug outlets if the room doors are closed. while this isnt a problem, i didnt consider the plumbing for the sink....it pulls some nice smelling air from the drain on the fishroom sink...this is made worse for the fact every day i drain my skimmer in there.

Latley i open the fishroom window to let in more air and it does the trick....so it was soley becuase i didnt install large enouph fresh air intakes.

Marc.