Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Marine Experience

Old 02-04-2007, 07:32 PM

briansmyth is on a distinguished road
Default Okay, my two cents

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Based on the fellowship you receive from this site, I think you must be a pretty decent person ... but, I do have a `but' for you ... I'd feel `funny' buying stuff from you that has a 10% stealing surcharge added to it. I didn't take anything, so why should I be paying for that?

Brian
Regina, SK
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM

RicePaddy is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about that Neal, your are a good guy that does not derserve this. Unfortunatly there are those in this world that would, and do take advantage of a persons kindness and friendship. I would hope that this individual would return the money. What a crappy thing to happen to someone that saves us all money on a regular basis.

Will
Old 02-04-2007, 08:45 PM

JOEL is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would call the cops if I were you.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Chaotic Cricket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmyth View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss.

Based on the fellowship you receive from this site, I think you must be a pretty decent person ... but, I do have a `but' for you ... I'd feel `funny' buying stuff from you that has a 10% stealing surcharge added to it. I didn't take anything, so why should I be paying for that?

Brian
Regina, SK
Same reason you pay for it at every vendor in the world. All the big box stores (walmart etc) have a shopifting tax on their goods. Its unfortunate for those of us who follow the law. But it goes for every facet of life. Everything has a anti-theft tax or markup on it. From insurance to grocerys.
Most just don't tell you...they claim higher prices from their suppliers or distributors etc. If they have a store where someone can steal the markup is there period.

Last edited by Chaotic Cricket; 02-04-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:59 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

As well,
No offfence, but at this point, anyone that doesn't feel that they should pay the 10 Percent, they can go and shop at the other stores and pay another 50 percent.
I still beat them hands down in pricing.
Neal
Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road
Default Insurance

First off, that really sucks to hear you had a criminal in your house. I hope that you took others advise and called the cops. Although you may not get the money back, it's always a good idea to have the authorities involved when criminal activities occur. On another note, as you are applying the 10% hike, which I understand why, I'm guessing you don't have insurance, or it was denied. If it is the case of not having insurance, have you ever looked into it? There are a couple of issues of not having insurance. Obviously, you don't have coverage for losses like this if there is no insurance, but since you are out of a home, if you own the home or rent it, your home/tenant's insurance will not cover most losses because you are operating a business out of it. Slip and fall claims are more common than most people think, and although $1000 is something that most people can't just absorb, including myself, what would happen if you were faced with a client that fell off your front step, and sued you for $10,000? Also, what would happen if a tank sprung a leak and you were faced with replacing flooring, ripping out walls, and clean up expenses? Insurance is not cheap, but it could save your but in case something major happens. If you do have home/tenants insurance, just beware that if you haven't told them about this business and call them now, you could face the possibility of it being cancelled for not disclosing this to them, or it isn't a type of risk they write. Still, I would look into getting coverage somewhere for the business. If you haven't guessed by now, I am an insurance broker(ducking from eggs/hate mail). By no means am I writing this to solicit your business. I would recommend contacing whoever you deal with for your insurance right now and discuss coverage with them. I just want to see a fellow reefer be protected in case something like this happens again.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Hey Neal, you sound like a stand-up guy. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I've been following this thread and everyone here is giving super good advice. I hope this works out in the end for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road

man that really is bad ,Neals trying to run a business and a light finger A$$ has to come a burn him like that ,Sorry to hear about it Neal
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 AM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

I agree with a fellow poster, you shouldnt charge others for failing to secure your money. You cant trust others to come to your place and have envelopes of money available to them. learn from your mistake and move on. Your business will suffer if you try stuff like this. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 AM

Chad is on a distinguished road

I have to disagree with those who think the charge is unfounded, its a standard practice and every business does it, if they don't good for them. However, generaly speaking, we pay a "theft" tax on every item we buy, its just not advertised, its worked into the markup.

On that note, althought its great to trust those whom we do business with in this hobby, it is up to you to secure your money.

Its shame and depressing that someone in our community would do this.

Best of luck