Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Gah I never wear gloves... but I'm thinking I want to start to now because I got a NASTY bristle worm sting the other day... my fingers are still sore from it. And its itchy under my nails.

-Diana

Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

I have been wearing the Coralife gloves now for a couple of years. They are tough and work great for moving large corals and LR and for reaching the bottom of the tank. For the smaller more delicate moves I use a pair of dish washing gloves as they are much stronger than any Latex brand gloves. I found the latex gloves to puncture or rip easy, the dish washing gloves are thicker, yet fit very snug which gives me more control when handling delicate or smaller items.

I did some research on contracting viruses and bacteria from our tanks awhile ago and the result was myself buying a few pairs of gloves. Catching harmful bacteria or a virus from a tank is very low risk, however if you have exposed cuts or get water splash in your mouth then you are increasing the still very low risk event to happen. IMO I think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when we frag or move a bunch or corals that could produce who knows what in the mix of all there chemicals and toxins.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
I use the shoulder length gloves from vet supply, $12. for 100. Sometimes I'll puncture them and they'll fill with some water but figure better that placing my hand directly into the tank.
I saw an article in an issue of coral magazine for long clear gloves from vet supply stores and want to get some. Where did you get yours? I have now developed exema (sp?) or some kind of rash on the arm that always gets wet when doing work in my tank.

These are all I can find. Yours sound like a way better deal.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...bref=AA&ctt=62

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 04-12-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:26 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

I personally have never used gloves while dealing with my tank. It has never really concerned me, because I am immune to most insect stings, have never had an infected cut(and I get alot of cuts), and bristleworm hairs do not iritate me at all. I've also touched BTA's and LTA's and neither type has ever had any effect on me. I've never had a rash either. All this has probably wiped away my concern about having problems and this is why I do not wear gloves. The only things that I've had concern about is cutting my fingers on rocks, but I have yet to do so because I have slight calises(sp?) on the inside of my fingers and palm.

I have considered arms length gloves before, but have always worried about them reducing dexterity. It sounds like there are a few out there that allow good movement in them?

Chris