Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

The only way we're going to see better pricing is through competition. Edmonton as an example, with expansions/new stores - I'm willing to bet prices are going to start coming down, got to visit the relocated/expanded store and it's new saltwater section - prices were what we'd expect to see in calgary. That can only benefit the local reefers, and soon enough I'm sure we'll see other stores coming back into the 'norms'.

Just like the cries of the mom & pop hardware, grocery etc stores when walmart and others moved to town - the LFS's are going to have to adapt to the new world. Pricing competitively, and selling better service & support over their new(er) competitors. We should be seeing better service, better advice and more knowledgeable staff working at these stores. Some of the online e-tailers even offer guarantees on fish health now, I still have yet to see any LFS willing to even offer a discount if a fish dies before it even gets home.

Stopped by one local store in search of a part today, figure they're the local distributor let's visit them first. Doesn't sell parts, was advised to check the mail order companies, as they could get the part to me long before he could. Again, there's a buisness who I will continue to support...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Comparing the stores here and the stores in Vancouver, is IMO comparing apples verses apples. They both incur the same type of expenses. The only difference being the extra costs for shipping here. To me, that doesn't justify a double in price.
If one of the stores here reads these threads and maybe wants to justify that difference, i would honestly like to hear it.
Please note I am offering my opinion here, not that of my employer, etc.

Well 2 reasons really.

Yes the extra ammount of shipping involved accounts for a lot of the difference. Obviously Howdy has a good idea on what it takes to do this but you can not assume that the costs incurred when shipping inverts is the same as fish or corals. If you order a box full of snails from J&L they send it fedex overnight and it's all good, inverts ship well. Try that with fish and you are screwed.

Last time I ordered inverts from J&L (fedex) I figured my total landed cost at 160% of the price. Basically, after taxes, shipping, box charges and stuff a $1 snail cost me $1.60. With fish, air shipped and picked up at the airport that would have been higher, say 250% maybe. You get a lot less fish per box compared to inverts and all that extra water is heavy.

You can mitigate this by making a huge order and splitting the shipping cost over many items. This is what makes group buys attractive to us. If take this idea and apply it to a local store situation things start to make sense. How many stores here order the volume that J&L does? Remeber that they are a large retial store in a major center as well. Maybe if you put 3 or 4 of our local places together you'll get close to that volume.

Does this all come together to justify higher prices here? I think it does most of the time. If you think about it, it also helps explain the difference in Calgary and Edmonton's markets. Prices are much higher in Edmonton partially becuase of the smaller market.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

I am looking forward to the increasing competition in Edmonton, with the relocation of one store, and another getting into SW soon, prices should start coming down, and I would prefer to support local when possible. Especially supporting Canadian vs. US.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Alot of this if you look at the market on the West coast will be so much cheaper. cleaners 17.49 compard t o29.99 or 60.00 at sme places. I have seen cleaners go for 80.00 when i was down in New Brunswick. a while back. can you believe that man that is quite the mark up for 1 shrimp...

JMO
Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
I strongly believe in supporting the local guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
I would too if I lived in BC.

AGREED !!!!

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Kryten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter
You can mitigate this by making a huge order and splitting the shipping cost over many items. This is what makes group buys attractive to us. If take this idea and apply it to a local store situation things start to make sense. How many stores here order the volume that J&L does? Remeber that they are a large retial store in a major center as well. Maybe if you put 3 or 4 of our local places together you'll get close to that volume.
Maybe we should encourage all our local lfs to go in on group buys with each other, then they can all charge a bit less.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

... I was in BC this past summer. The prices are nearly the same. I don't know what the big rant is. A grey angel there is $90. A comparable grey angel here is $100. LTA there is $30, one here is also $35. Frags there are $15. Same here. I could go on and on with these examples, but I think I've made my point...
Old 03-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Beermaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Beermaster

Albert

Your Store is totally different from the all the other stores here is Alberta, i have never been able to find a store here, that even compairs to your pricing, some of your frags at $15 are $65 here in edmonton

so that is what the big rant is about!

ps see you next friday lol
Old 03-17-2006, 03:39 PM

geopod is on a distinguished road

Hey in Halifax I seen people pay $300 dollars for a marine beta while Here I paid $82 for mine at a home based guys house....So I lookk for deals but at the same time The same guy that sold me the fish doent have everything else I am looking for like lights and food and such maybe some different looking corals and So I use the LFS. Sometimes I contemplate on the price.But I know I have been treated with respect there at the store and I will continue to use the store because they took care of me professionally.And wen I had a problem with a specimen.They replaced it...no questions asked.Everyone here has very good and strong points.And you shop where you shop thats it.LFS will try to continue to get your business back.As they all want our business.One happy customer leads to more.

My 2 pennies

George
Old 03-17-2006, 04:58 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster
Albert

Your Store is totally different from the all the other stores here is Alberta, i have never been able to find a store here, that even compairs to your pricing, some of your frags at $15 are $65 here in edmonton

so that is what the big rant is about!

ps see you next friday lol

AGREED !!! Alberts store would have to be the best in Alberta

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!