Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

If this is your first anemone. I would personally leave it be. Moving them will only make it more angry and make it want to move around the tank. Because they have no brains/eyes, etc.. any kind of irritation or stress will only cause it to move more to find a spot where it can be left alone and where it receives proper light and flow.

However, if done very carefully.. they can be moved (you take the risk of it moving around on you even more though) You want to very gently pry the foot (the base that sticks to the glass/rock) And pry it off very slowly and very carefully. After doing so.. I would find a nice crack in the rockwork to place him and in an area there is good light, and moderate flow. If this isn't possible I personally would adjust flow and rocks to accomodate (sp?) the anemone. I have always had good luck with my anemones not moving. I simply pick out a spot in advance where I think there is a nice crack it would like to suck himself into, receiving a good amount of light ,and a gentle flow. Only one of the MANY I have kept decided to move around on me.

Sorry for the long post, good luck. And be careful if you decide to move it!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:54 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Candy,

Before replying further, I would like to know more about your tank...

- what are the tank's dimensions?
- what kind of light do you have?
- what do you use for water movement and where is it/are they located in the tank?
- can you move the powerheads or whatever you use for water movement?

I have pried my BTAs off the rock, but it takes a long freaking time to do that. And I'm ALWAYS afraid of hurting the foot when doing so.

An even slower way of making an anemone move is to increase the water movement in the spot where your anemone is and making sure water movement where you want the anemone to be is lower.

Our first GBTA took at least six weeks of water movement experimentation to get the anemone in the place we wanted it with the right amount of water movement. It was frustrating, to say the least. However, I did learn a lot about the water movement requirements of that GBTA, so I chalk it up as a (long) learning experience

When we got our RBTA for our other tank, I had a pretty good idea where to put it in relation to the water movement issue. I was pretty close, too, as the RBTA only moved a few inches up toward the light and into slightly more water flow

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 02-04-2006, 05:32 AM

seashells is on a distinguished road

Hi Beverly,

So what kind of plastic tubing do you use? Looks like freezie tube.

Shellie
Old 02-04-2006, 01:35 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Got the rigid plastic tube at a lfs that specializes in fw fish and fw planted tanks. It comes in 3' lengths. We cut it so there was a shorter piece and a slightly longer piece, and made the cut on an angle to make feeding in awkward places a little easier.

Don't know what a "freezie" tube is, but I don't think that's what we've got

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel

Last edited by Beverly; 02-04-2006 at 02:09 PM.