Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-04-2001, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default Where are the good fish stores?

i dont think anyone is saying that feeding an anenome isnt beneficial to its health, but i dont think just feeding an anenome in a fairly lit tank can sustitute providing it with intense lighting.

sure it has a mouth and stingers, so we can assume that it needs to be fed meaty items. fair enough...personally if i had an anenome i would feed it too.

now then, we can also assume this...anenomes have zoox. in them...so it would also be fair to assume that they need adequate intense lighting also, no?

with these assumptions (dare i say facts) i would only house an anenome in a tank with intense lighting and i would take the time to feed meaty items on a regular basis.

but i must stress that i would first only consider an anenome if i could provide the intense lighting that I believe they require.
sure feedings are great, but i do not feel that just feeding an anenome in an underlit tank will provide for a healthy anenome, i do not feel that that would be an environment which could sustain a healthy thriving anenome.

this is not directed to Sam, or anyone else for that matter...JMHO.

P.S. king eds is OK for looking at fish, they sometimes get interesting specimens in, plus you can bargain, but dont ever go in there uninformed, or buy something you arent familiar with, cuz those guys ARE salemen...they would sell you the hair off their ass if they could
Old 12-04-2001, 10:31 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

No problem, Troy...I just think lighting is as important as food...oh well.

Say, Sam....can you tell us more about your tank ? s

- Victor.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:07 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

One other point, I used many of the same evolutionary traits you mentioned (mouth, nematocyst bearing cnidocytes) while defending Ron's statement. Like you mentioned, an optimal environment should be provided. Since they are found (usually) in high light areas... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-05-2001, 02:07 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

I haven't mentioned my setup yet because I didn't want to get any more lashes. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] But here goes. 38 gallons, 2 power compacts lights, 1 regular NO light (all lights left on from 9am-12am 15 hours), 2 powerheads with carbon cartridge, AquaC Remora skimmer, 50 lbs of live rock, RO water.

Troy, sorry to hear the bad experiences there and thanks for sharing that. I don't have any other experiences at King Eds but my first impression was positive. Point taken about going to more knowledgable places when needing to find information. I did find that King Ed's prices for fish and dry goods were much cheaper than other places and slightly more than J&L. I try to always shop at J&L first and if they don't carry a certain item or don't have stock, I think King Ed is going to be my second stop simply for the prices and reasonable livestock selection. I'll do more research next time. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gave my 3 anemones their first prawn dinner tonight. They gobbled them up in a hurry. Thank goodness, as there was an audience with high expectations watching. In addition to prawn and shrimp, I'll be feeding them a varied diet including scallop and Hikari multi-vitamin fortified Mysis shrimp.

In terms of fish, now that Maroons are out of the picture , I'll probably get 2 False and 2 True Perculas (I'm still surprised to hear that Maroons are agressive. I don't doubt it but I did have great luck with mine in the past).

----
* EDITED (Fixed the photo-period)

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]
Old 12-05-2001, 02:14 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Sam am I reading that right, you are running a 3hr photoperiod?

*there are more important things than price*
Old 12-05-2001, 02:24 AM

Oops. Sorry. That should be 9am-12am midnight. 15 hours.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:26 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Hey Sam,

IME Maroons are quite agressive once they have an anemone. Mine was fin adn even resided with a juvenile perc. Once I added an anemone she went nuts. I had to recently move her to the sump as she was harassing EVERY other fish in the tank. She even attacked me. Took hair out of my arm and hands a few times. And she is only small still.

Be careful adding more than two clowns in a smaller tank like yours. Even in a large tank the Dominant female may go after the others. I know Marc ahd to remove a lone perc from his tank as there was three and the other two were beating it up.

As for the lighting.. I'll say you do need a bit more. But take that as a suggestion.. IMO you don't have enough light for those guys and a three hour photoperiod is not enough to keep them alive.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:53 AM

Darren. I appreciate your advice with the clowns. It made me laugh to imagine your Maroon biting your hairs off your hand. I probably would have ended up buying one if you hadn't warned me.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:30 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

3 anemones in a 38G...if things go well...you'll be in a 6x2x2 (180G) in about a year or two [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] I am not kidding !

Why...your anemones will get quite large...very quickly when they are happy.

Any who...good luck.

- Victor.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:16 AM

Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Shadetree

Sam,

Fudge recently tried to put two sets of clowns, true pers and false in his 150 gallon tankand he had to remove a pair because of the fighting. Hopefully he will see this and relate his experiences for you.

Scott