OCDP is on a distinguished road

Very well put Chin
Old 11-29-2005, 02:39 AM

Cap'n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarolisol
You wont drink it, now thats just stupid. Calgary has some of the cleanest water. Ive heard its better water then aquafina.
Wasn't it aquafina that was "outed" for bottling dechlorinated calgary city water?

Calgary's got great water for reefing, RO/DI is only really necessary for some of the more difficult to keep SPS.

Andy
I'm with Andy and Bob. As long as you don't try anything too difficult to keep you should be fine. To take it a step further, I don't believe someone new to the hobby should even be attempting something that requires the barely attainable conditions and care descibed by some in this thread. Stick to the easy stuff until you get bored, or feel you really aren't spending as much as the Reefer Jones. I don't find Bob's comment off at all, let alone appalling.

Also, Calgary water is great, you can check out the test results online through some government website that I can't direct you to. If you believe in the free ion pollution theory of water stored in plastic containers, than it is even more safe than bottled water.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

As far as why I won't drink Calgary water... I've just had bad experiences in my life with tap and well water, and would rather drink bottled. -- they need a beaver fever emoticon

Sure maybe the bottled stuff is not the best either, and I agree that plastic does break down and will leech trace elements into the water but for my peace of mind and to keep my physchosis under control I won't drink any water that is not factory sealed.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:39 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

WOW this kinda turned to a flame war in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob I
I have never used anything but tapwater, and am very happy with the results.

Not to stir the pot or anything, But I'm with Bob. Tap seems to work fine for "ME" not saying it will work for you, BUT being a newbie I started out with easier stuff and learned the ins and outs, I hope newbies wouldn't start out with very expensive corals that require high mantainece. I would hope they start out with easy stuff and find their niche and find out how much time to invest into it 1st, new cool thing can be easily boring (like that new christmas toy)
Some people say that vehicles run better on premium do we all run premium in our vehicles?, I don't, good ol regular doesn't seem to make a difference to me, but to a mechanic on a formula 1 car would think that I'm crazy and probably tell me why premium is better(sounds familiar huh)

Good Luck with everything sharelove don't be discouraged by the flaming have fun and find your niche make wise decisions and purchases

Ok I'm done lock it

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 AM

blood_hound is on a distinguished road

My Turn!

I use tap water too ever since my RO unit die and I never had any problem with it. All I can say about people being concern about the quality of their tank water is to stop sticking your hand inside you tank too much.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:14 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

What I continually find amazing is the sheer amount of different approaches in this hobby and the fact that there is no ONE right way.

Everyone has opinions based on their own experiences but we mustn't lose sight of the fact that there are some very rudimentary husbandry practices that are common amongst those that have acheived high quality results for extended periods of time. That being said, I cannot recall a single instance of a "Tank of the Month" or comparable system that did not start with absolutely pure water.

My own experience started out with some LPS and a lot of softies using tapwater. I almost quit after a year and a half because of my chronic cyano, but then someone suggested I buy a cheap DI unit and keep trying. Needless to say 2 1/2 years later I am here and better than ever, my system flourishing, my corals growing like weeds. Before discovering "pure" water, I was losing stuff like nobody's business.

We must also remember that all of our systems are unique, the biological and chemical compositions of our captive biospheres are all affected by every little thing we do to our tanks, from what we use as top-off water to how long our photoperiod is. Though I haved never seen Chin's system in person, I respect what he has to say as he has carefully thought out his approach, and grows some spectacular stuff in a fairly large system. Now if I could just get my hands on a few of his frags...

When considering advice from others on this topic, try to compare it to your own needs, look at their galleries and examine their pictures. Please don't let us discourage you, this is a neat and fascinating hobby with many rewards.
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default RO

If anyone is in doubt about the benifit of consistant pure stock water (RO or RO/DI), go to the search button and type in algea, or algea from hell , hair algea, cyano........you get the idea

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....