Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2005, 11:41 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azilla
I wasn't saying they are all like that. The ones i have met where like that thou. ((Trillianarm is from PRINCE RUPERT! Not PRINCE GEORGE)) .
Man I used to get this all the time when I lived in PG. My mother in law owns a b&b in PG and would get tourists asking if they could get dropped off at the ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands... um sure.... it's only a 9 hour drive!

Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Azilla,

Here is how to do it, my town is even more of an isolated hick-town than yours is.

First I have been disappointed by on-line coral (and fish) purchases. Species arrive mis-identified, a fish arrived near-death and starving (nursed him back to health), corals arrived looking nothing like the photos on the website.

You need to fly to Vancouver once or twice a year. Alternatively drive, but WestJet is cheap from Vancouver to PG.

Get one of those insulated styrofoam boxes that fish stores use to ship fish. Your local fish store should give you one, or sell you one for $5.00

Before you go to Vancouver post what frags you want. Try to contact various reefers on the board who have nice tanks, badger them constantly until they give in and offer you their frags. It helps if you tell them what a nice tank they have first.

When you get to Vancouver go to Ocean Aquatics and buy a bunch of corals, put them in the styrofoam insulated box to take home. Go to J and L to buy your fish, make sure they use oxygen. If you are driving home stop by Hidden Reef on the way back. If you bring home a few corals for other local reefers then they will pay you some extra for your gas money etc, or they will do the same for you next time they are in Vancouver.

Anyway it is not that hard to get good livestock this way, the cost of air freight ($50.00) is probably the same as the gas you will spend driving there and back. Plus you will get to leave Prince George for a couple of days, that is an added bonus.

I know what you mean about the attitude of some reefers, I was in J and L one time and one particular reefer was going on and on about his tank as if he were the one who invented coral reefs in the first place, he mentioned how one coral he bought was more than the cost of my entire purchase, people like that exist but the best way to deal with them is just to laugh and thank God your parents did a better job of raising you than that. Most (99.5%) of reefers I have met are great and very helpful and generous.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 PM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I think I have run into this person as well <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Azilla,

I know what you mean about the attitude of some reefers, I was in J and L one time and one particular reefer was going on and on about his tank as if he were the one who invented coral reefs in the first place,.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:12 PM

loggix is on a distinguished road
Default hey azilla

hi new to forum im from terrace b.c
the lfs i deal with is really good the person i deal with
actually owns her own reef tanks, they getlocals bringing in frags of stuff
in once and a while i just bought 3 myself anyways just a thought
good to see a local here good luck
Old 03-18-2005, 04:42 PM

Yes the LFS in Terrace is good (Petland), I drive out there often. What kind of frags did you buy there? I just sold them some hairy mushrooms, xenia, green star polyps, and yellow polyps.

Loggix do you come out to Rupert much, if you do maybe you should go in on a livestock order sometime, or if you want in when we order a big batch of frozen mysis, PM me if interested.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:03 PM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Hi loggix, glad to see another member from Terrace.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:26 PM

IMO we should start a NW coast reefers group to coordinate coral/livestock purchases and support the hobby.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 AM

heyfredyourhat is on a distinguished road

Well i better revive an old thread! I am in the soon to be adding LR stages of my 120, would love to meet with other reefers in the area if there are any!??