Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Tomjay is on a distinguished road

I bought some Kalk +2 (Brightwell aquatics) last week it contains Calcium and Magnesium once my Rowa run out I will be using this.

I am using Tropic Marin Pro salt which I am very happy with so no switching for me
Old 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Rus is on a distinguished road

I would be interested to see how that works out for you , wonder if it will help with maintaining levels better than other brands
Old 08-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

you may want to look into magnesium supplements for your ca reactor, I found this easier than switching salts. Both zeovit and faunamarin make them (as well as one other but I can't remember the brand name).

Also, I was reading your RC thread and you had posted about running a dart split to two seaswirls. How did you eventually resolve the plumbing for this? I'm hoping to do the same.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Tomjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
I would be interested to see how that works out for you , wonder if it will help with maintaining levels better than other brands
Here's the link http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/br_base.html you can read up on it or ask them questions good customer service. I have friends in Florida, LA; well all over the US.... can’t list all the states that use the products.

You can find the products here locally at Ocean
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks Tomjay , I will check that out.

Hey Christy , thanks for the ideas , I'm actually going to try adding the zeomag to my reactor today so we'll see how that works for now. I don't really want to switch salts if I don't have to ( never know how things will react to the change ) Just trying to minimize any added steps and costs if need be.
As far as my return , yes i did go with the dart pump for return , it is teed off just past the pump to two 1" lines that feed a seaswirl on each side of the front side corners of the tank. I seem to be getting around 1000 gph or so out of this ( pump also feeds reactors ) I really like this setup as it allows me to get a flow across the front of reef without having anything to obtrusive ( ie : tunze ) located on the front side of the tank. Most setups i see use pumps located at the back or sides of the reef to get the flow to the front side either bouncing off the front pane or cross flow. I find that most of our so called prize corals are located facing the front for optimal viewing so getting a good flow continuously across the front of the reef seems to make sense to me. That being said I do still have 2 tunze 6100's helping out with the flow , but I am able to keep them near the back side which helps keep them a little less noticeable.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
As far as my return , yes i did go with the dart pump for return , it is teed off just past the pump to two 1" lines that feed a seaswirl on each side of the front side corners of the tank. I seem to be getting around 1000 gph or so out of this ( pump also feeds reactors ) I really like this setup as it allows me to get a flow across the front of reef without having anything to obtrusive ( ie : tunze ) located on the front side of the tank. Most setups i see use pumps located at the back or sides of the reef to get the flow to the front side either bouncing off the front pane or cross flow. I find that most of our so called prize corals are located facing the front for optimal viewing so getting a good flow continuously across the front of the reef seems to make sense to me. That being said I do still have 2 tunze 6100's helping out with the flow , but I am able to keep them near the back side which helps keep them a little less noticeable.
ooh, I never thought about mounting the seaswirls on the front of the tank! how does that work for plumbing then? it runs along the front as well? do you have any pics of that?

thanks for the info, this is awesome!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 PM

They are actually still mounted on the side panel , but right up to front of it this way when it turns 90 deg. it covers right across the front of the reef . I have a couple pics , but hard to tell from them .Pump is located on on side of the sump from there piping goes up to a tee , one line continues straight up to the seaswirl , and the other goes under the stand and back up on the other side, make sure you use valve on each ( which I'm sure you would ) but they are neede to adjust flow to equal the output evenly from each one.

Here's a few early setup pics of it

Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Staff

Great work!! Thanks for the pics, they totally help!!

My 180 Build

Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Happy New year and Holidays to everyone.

I thought it might be high time to do a small update on the tank. Heading into January the the tank is in it's 40th week now ( or almost 10 months ) . I have gone thru a few learning curves on this tank as far as getting everything dialed in correctly .

I have had some decent growth on some of my corals and a few setbacks on others. I have been trying a few new things with this setup as well. I am dosing 3 or 4 types of zeovit additives to the tank for the past few months , mostly just color enhancers though , and have seen some improvment on a few corals . As of now still keeping a watch on wether it is making a large difference or not. Fish wise I am up to 28 now , and have only had a few issues with lost ones so far , unfourtantley one happened to be my Achilles .

I still am battling a low ph and mag. levels in this tank , so I am seriously considering switching over to a balling method soon. Just trying to decide on wether to purchase the stand alone Profilux , (or sell my AQ3 and Deltec Reactor ) and purchase a complete newcontroller setup and doser. I really like the direction that Profilux seems to going , and what they have to offer.

For those of you dosing in your larger tanks ( 300gal. and up ) Are you purchase premade products or making your own? Also do you find this method a lot more stable for you, in comparison to running a reactor?

Anyway a couple of newer (not so good ) pics as well, I will try to get a few more later on today .

Last edited by Rus; 01-03-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

My system is ~350 gallons and I just picked up the 2 pump standalone profilux doser last weekend. I get my Calcium and magnesium from the Chemmaster and mix it myself. I have been dosing Randy's recipe manually for the past couple years with good results but having the doser will keep my system that much more stable. A good investment IMO but I don't have any experience with CA reactors so I can't make a comparison.